diy solar

diy solar

Wanted: A step by step guide for reviving over-discharged LifePo4 batteries.

finangler

I have an over-discharged 12V battery that won't charge above 10.2V using its included charger. Its a sealed battery so I don't have access to individual cells. I have read some posts about potentially using a bench power supply to revive an over-discharged battery but nothing comprehensive and step-by-step.

Could someone who has done this before please post a step by step guide (or even better a video!) for newbies like me?

Recovery probability low unless the charger is just refusing to charge due to the low voltage, or the charger is broken.

If I were you, I'd get one of the 30V/10A power supplies referenced:

Power on.
Set it to 13.8V.
Turn amps all the way left several times.
Attach power supply leads to battery.
Turn up the amps to 1% the capacity of your battery, e.g., if you have a 100Ah battery, set to 1A.
Let run for 60 minutes. Voltage should rise to near 12V.
Once it's 12V or above, revert to the battery's charger.

Alternatively, you could use a standard automotive-type 12V battery charger at 1-2A. Attempt to charge it like any other battery, but watch voltage carefully. Do not let it rise much above 12V. As soon as possible, try the battery's normal charger.

Sounds like the BMS is locked off. What did the manufacturer tell you?

Manufacturer also thought the BMS was locked up/malfunctioning. But didn't have any suggestions for how to fix it.

Opening the case up (carefully} and doing your check on the cells might be your next option. Hopefully the cells are ok. A bad BMS can be replaced.(y)

If the guy crackin'er open is really meticulous and has a slow and steady disassembly plan, he might even be able to gracefully disassemble it in such a way where it could be nicely reassembled, or even remain as re-disassemblable (with a removable lid) for the future... It could turn out to be a handy new feature of the battery pack, the ability to balance cells as necessary, or replace cells on it when needed.

I tried the suggestion from snoobler. It didn't work unfortunately. The BMS seems to cut off the power supply at 10.2V. Any suggestions on how to get the BMS to stop doing that? Anything further I can try before opening up the battery and replacing the BMS or charging individual cells?

Maybe the BMS low voltage disconnect is cutting the power. You might have to charge the cells with the BMS disconnected to get on the other side of the low voltage disconnect.

Maybe the BMS low voltage disconnect is cutting the power. You might have to charge the cells with the BMS disconnected to get on the other side of the low voltage disconnect.
Very possible if it's a common port BMS .... One of the reasons I don't like them.

I also read that some chargers have a battery "save" function that can revive over-discharged batteries. Has anyone tried something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/OptiMATE-Lithium-TM-271-10-step-charger-tester-maintainer/dp/B01EV1CTDY
Yes, I have used their LifeP04 specific chargers (model TM-271) and can vet them for a few reasons:

When it detects an over-discharged LFP battery, it will *try* to bring it back by using very-very small amounts of current, until it reaches a nominal 13.8v, and then apply full charge - if it passes testing. It will take a LONG time to do so.

The best part is that if you've left your battery discharged so much that degradation has occurred, it will know, stop, and warn you. It's dead Jim - it will try to revive if it can, but will not bring back a totally degraded zombie so you won't waste time or be unsafe.

Basically the moral is that while you haven't done the LFP battery any favors by taking it down so far, *if you get to it in time* before it starts to eat itself (like in a day or two), it will gently bring it back. But no guarantee - at least it signals you that it decided it was too unsafe to continue.

(Usually an indication of endless intercalation ion storms, but that's another subject)

The target market is mostly motorcycle / vehicle users using LFP who left their headlights on overnight. If dealt with in time, they may have cut many cycles off the battery, but if it can be brought back safely, it will do so.

I used it on my bare non-bms prismatic bank to revive after an accidental major discharge. Thing is, I got to it the very next day. I didn't have the time or inclination to drag out my bench-supply, stopwatches and so forth, so I just let the Tecmate-Optimate Lithium charger handle things.

Yes, I have used their LifeP04 specific chargers (model TM-271) and can vet them for a few reasons:

When it detects an over-discharged LFP battery, it will *try* to bring it back by using very-very small amounts of current, until it reaches a nominal 13.8v, and then apply full charge - if it passes testing. It will take a LONG time to do so.

The best part is that if you've left your battery discharged so much that degradation has occurred, it will know, stop, and warn you. It's dead Jim - it will try to revive if it can, but will not bring back a totally degraded zombie so you won't waste time or be unsafe.

Basically the moral is that while you haven't done the LFP battery any favors by taking it down so far, *if you get to it in time* before it starts to eat itself (like in a day or two), it will gently bring it back. But no guarantee - at least it signals you that it decided it was too unsafe to continue.

(Usually an indication of endless intercalation ion storms, but that's another subject)

The target market is mostly motorcycle / vehicle users using LFP who left their headlights on overnight. If dealt with in time, they may have cut many cycles off the battery, but if it can be brought back safely, it will do so.

I used it on my bare non-bms prismatic bank to revive after an accidental major discharge. Thing is, I got to it the very next day. I didn't have the time or inclination to drag out my bench-supply, stopwatches and so forth, so I just let the Tecmate-Optimate Lithium charger handle things.
This is very informative, as I'm in jam right now. 1 out of the 16 CATL 302Ah I received from China is reading 0.75V. Shipped out to me since May. The rest range from 3.20V to 3.28V. I suspect recycled and in storage for a couple of years, considerably bloated.
My question is, can it be revived, and if yes, could it be a source of trouble in the pack going forward? I have means to charge it slowly.

Back