diy solar

diy solar

WatchPower settings for Lead Crystal batteries

Pete D

Hi all

First post and I’m pretty new to solar set-ups and terminology.
Trying to get my head round the settings in WatchPower and would appreciate any expert opinions on what I should tweak so I don’t blow myself up.

In the UK, I’ve got an MPPSolar PIP2424MSE1, 6 x 180w panels 2s3p and 4 x 12v 170Ah (Skycorp) lead crystal batteries.

At the moment I’ve just doubled the lower cycle and standby figures for the batteries and used those as bulk and float. Is that a good start?

What should the max charging, AC charging current, back to charge and back to discharge options be set to?

Anything else jumping out that I need to change?
Haven’t equalised the batteries. As I said, still new and trying to work things out.

A nudge in the right direction on that would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Watchpower settings2.JPG
    Watchpower settings2.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210805_134754.jpg
    IMG_20210805_134754.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 16
You might (or might not) have more experience with lead crystal batteries than people here. I'm waiting to hear myself.

:)

No data sheets unfortunately. I was super lucky enough to get the batteries for free which started me on my solar experiment journey
My panels are secondhand too. Only two years old though. They had been swapped out from a solar farm.

It appears you're running the batteries with a 24v scenario. If so, your bulk charging voltage is a little low at 28.2. Your attached jpeg states 14.4 to 14.6, so your bulk charging should be set to 28.8 to 29.2. We charge our SiO2 batteries (lead crystal) at 14.6 (29.2 in a 24v setup).

Enjoy,

Perry

Thanks Perry.

Yes, 24v setup, and yes, 2x14.4 is 28.8 not what I had initially set in the screen shot. Oops.
Have changed it to 29.2 now and will see how we go.

Thanks
Pete

Back