diy solar

diy solar

WATE 24v 8A Lifepo4 Charger (with a little secret inside)

meetyg

Solar Enthusiast
Hi there,
I just received this 24v 8A Lifepo4 charger that I got from Aliexpress, that will be used for a 24v 40Ah DIY Lifepo4 pack I'm building.

This pack will be a replacement for SLA batteries used in a small mobility scooter.
The current setup uses a small 24v 2A SLA charger to charge two 12v 30Ah batteries in series.
Anyways, I needed to get an appropriate charger for the new Lifepo4 setup, so I got this one:

While it outputs 29.2v which is 3.65v per cell for an 8S battery, I don't want to go that high in my setup. I'm planning on 28.4v or 3.55v per cell.

So I saw this picture on the item description and noticed that there some POTS on the PCB. That made me think that maybe I could set it to a lower voltage myself.
HTB1FhMCSXXXXXbWXFXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg
I could have asked the seller if it supports changing the voltage, or just asking them to do it, but it was on Black Friday sale and I didn't want to delay the order.

So now that I received it (unfortunately before the Lifepo4 cells) I opened up the output side if the charger, and long behold there is a Pot labeled VR.

So I started to play with it and it does change the output voltage!

If I recall correctly turning counter clockwise reduces the voltage.
The problem is that it's not that accessible.
I didn't want to take the PCB out, because someparts are glued, and there are some FETS attached to the walls of the enclosure with screws (and probably have some thermal past on them too).

But I was able to turn the Pot slightly with a small flathead "jeweler's" screwdriver.

There are additional Pots deeper inside the PCB, which are really inaccessible unless you pull out the PCB. I think those are for the CV cutoff, which is 5% of the amperage by factory.

Here are some pics to help understand what I'm talking about (blue colored Pot right of the LEDs):
20211216_204242.jpg
20211216_224532.jpg

Just be careful when you try to turn the Pot, because other than the pot leads that are soldered to the PCB, it isn't held with anything else, and could bend/break the leads.

I also tried to do some testing using the DL24 battery capacity meter, set to Constant Current mode. But I wasn't able to test at 8A because the meter is limited to around 150w, and it stopped the test when I set more than around 5.5A.

But it looks like this charger really is a CC charger, as it dropped down the voltage a bit, each time I increased the amps.
As for the CV phase, I'm not sure how to test it with this equipment.

The internal fan kicks in when you exceed ~1A load, and stops when you thenload decreases from that.

I guess I will wait for the battery cells to arrive and test the charger fully when my 24v pack is all setup.
20211216_224537.jpg20211216_224521.jpg

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a Lifepo4 charger, that doesn't necessarily charge to 100% (for battery longevity).

Just a small note: This charger had a weird smell to it, as if a capacitor was blown, even before I started testing and fiddling with it.
But all the components inside look fine and new (as far as I could see without ripping it all apart). It also works fine as tested.
I suppose this smell might be from the manufacturing process, or from the white silicone/glue gunk they used to glue/mount some of the parts inside. I recall Will Prowse also mentioning a weird smell on one of his battery teardowns (not the ones that leaked), which had alot of glue inside too.

Darn it! Just looking as the pictures again now, and noticed that the top part of the enclosure is removable...
That would have made things alot easier.
I thought that I would have to slide the PCB out from the enclosure to get better access to the Pot.
Well now you know...

One more thing I forgot to mention:
You can get it with various output plugs. I got mine with an XLR male connector and bought some female XLR sockets for my build. I will be wiring with 12AWG wire, to handle the amps, as current charger and wiring is limited to around 2A (with a different connector too).

The XLR connector is actually pretty common in the power wheelchair scene.
They actually got this plug wired up correctly, in the sense that 2 of the pins are connected to ground/negative and the third is to positive. You should always check your connections of course to make sure that your scooter / wheelchair is wired up in the same manner too. But the reason that two pins are connected to negative is that one of them is a like a pull-down pin which will signal to the motor controller that the scooter is being charged, and disables driving it while charging.

I was surprised that they did that with this charger, pretty cool. I thought that I would have to do that myself so I got myself some spare plugs just in case.

Came across this when I was searching if they are adjustable. Perfect info, thank you. I have same brand 8s 10a and two 4s 20a for various projects and wanted to drop their voltages slightly.

Cool, I'm glad it helped!

I am pretty happy with these chargers. I also got a 12v one and recently a 36v one. All of them were adjustable.

Back