diy solar

diy solar

Water filter preference

nube

Was just reading up on making y own Berkey water filtration system using buckets and buying filters! Sounds like a fun project for small amounts of water usage for drinking. Has anyone done this? What size filter are you using Micron size wise and where is the best place to buy your filters?

I highly recommend the black berkey elements. They have a very long life and make even very nasty well water taste great. I bought the stainless tanks but I think it would be a quick easy cheap project to make your own tanks with food grade 5 gallon buckets. I get mine from Lehmans.

check https://watersafepro.com/models500-512.html
you get a cheap filtration kit with UV (12 or 120V , i recommend 12V).
unfortunately the filters are only 1 micro and 0.5 micron, so you should add a small 0.1 micron at the output so you are sure
the water is perfect.
you can find 0.1 micron filter as inline small filter or cartridge. the inline 0.1 small filter should be enough to produce a few gallons per day.

if you want really high end filtration, RO (reverse osmosis) is great , but expensive and you loose a lot of water in the process (between 30 to 50%)
it requires also more controlled pressure (too low and filtration does not work, to high and you can break membrane).
Filters are cheaper and easy to change.

Last edited:
I have RO water for our drinking water and use 1/2 micron carbon block final filter with a 5 micron and 10 micron before the membrane. We are on well with water softener feeding these filters.

What is your source of water?
It would be advisable to start filtering from 22um than to 5 then to 3.
For strong polluted water or the risk of Bactria or viruses you could go to 0.8
For disinfection you could use uvc b and c, but ozone or almagaan would be a better choose, they will only burn when there is some water flow
If it is water from the mountains i would not even filter it.
For rain or canal water i would suggest start with a small koi pond filter.
Front filter would be some fine sand, that would flow into the koi filter.

We filter rain water, first collect in a deep well to let all sink, than when we use some water it will be pumped into a sand box/filter, then it will flow into the small pond filter, then it will be forced into a 5 and 3 micrometer filter with ozone in bedded.
Nature is a big help, work with her not against her, this will give you a system, very good for the years to come, instead of replace filters after so many gallons/liters.
Also you could use active cole but this depends on the industrial pollution in the air.
Basically this is it what we use for shower bath drinking and laundry
Best

Did this. Bought 2 stainless steel stockpots from Walmart and 2 Doulton (W9121200) filters.
Filters were $44 for 2, they're 7"super Sterasyl candle filters.
Pots are 12-quart Mainstays $9.76 each.
Dispensing stainless steel spigot from eBay $9.
Total price $73.

Drilled out lid rivets on lower pot, enlarged holes for filter fittings, and attached lid to upper pot.

Attachments

• water filter.jpg
    water filter.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 30
Was just reading up on making y own Berkey water filtration system using buckets and buying filters! Sounds like a fun project for small amounts of water usage for drinking. Has anyone done this? What size filter are you using Micron size wise and where is the best place to buy your filters?
I have a similar idea using food grade (2)5 gallon buckets and 4 Berkley filters. from what a water treatment person told me as long as you filtering to .5 microns you are fine. Just for an extra safety measure you could treat it with UV light.
I have 2,800 gallons of rain harvesting and our household (3 adults) uses about 2-3,000 gallons a month. We are on the east coast -mid alt. Here a 2,000 sq ft roof getting 45" annual rain nets little less than 1/2 million gallons of h2o. the math is a 10'x10' nets 625 gallons with an inch of rain. I plan on switching our toilets to rain h2o for flushing. hopes this helps.
Electronic gold mine is a good source for dc / rv water pumps and also small form factor solar panels.

Good ideas guys than you. I am just going to harvest rain water basically and use that for now and will figure out what system works best for us with this info in mind

Good ideas guys than you. I am just going to harvest rain water basically and use that for now and will figure out what system works best for us with this info in mind

Lots of resources on rainwater harvesting. Plan for bird poop. :)

Bullocks...if asking me....bird poo and other stuff......
Cheap DIY koi pond filter plus 22mu and 5 and 3mu mechanical filter will do the trick(NOT EVEN needed!)...no need to go smaller........
Install a uvc or a ozone lamp(not even needed!!), and one cycle pump(must!)........
But sadly enough i dont have 30 years of experience in this field.....
Cheers, best and good luck and all those sort of things.......

Ps 3mu OR smaller is depending! on the industrial pollution in your area!!!!
Make it as difficult as you want OR go with mother nature....

I agree that it could be a fun project to try filtering small amounts of water but I personally wouldn't rely on this for me and my family's drinking water if you're looking into this for that purpose. There's possibly a lot of contaminants and mineral deposits in your water if it's straight from the source especially if you're living in a mineral rich area with hard water, you may check this article for more information. That being said, I'd do this to test small amounts of water first for other uses while using a proper filtration and water softener system for my drinking water.

If you have a lot of free time, I'd recommend doing this, then going through a proper distillation process which would definitely make your water potable.

I have been using Berkey's filter for almost 2 years, the quality of the filter is still very good. This item is definitely a big investment but worth every penny, the water is free of chlorine and strange flavors.
Thank you for sharing. I recently acquired some stainless steel stock pots to convert into berkey based water purifier. What sort of reservoir do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Planning on building it:
Did this. Bought 2 stainless steel stockpots from Walmart and 2 Doulton (W9121200) filters.
Filters were $44 for 2, they're 7"super Sterasyl candle filters.
Pots are 12-quart Mainstays $9.76 each.
Dispensing stainless steel spigot from eBay $9.
Total price $73.

Drilled out lid rivets on lower pot, enlarged holes for filter fittings, and attached lid to upper pot.
Like the way @mopat described but with berkey filter.

I have heard and use Culligan and Berkey water filter system. It is prescribed to supplant the carbon and particulate channels once every year. The opposite assimilation layer ought to be supplanted each 3-5 years. Your nearby Culligan water master can incorporate your home as a component of his course and change the water channels on your framework upon your solicitation. The Berkey water filter system is one of the most thorough filtration options available and can reduce the majority of viruses and pathogenic bacteria from water. It can also reduce the likes of protozoa, inorganic materials, heavy metals, pesticides, chlorine, and larger sediment, like rust and silt.

Last edited:
I have a Zerowater filter in the fridge, but made a bucket filter with one of these empty filter cartridges, some diatomaceous earth, and home-made activated carbon. It turns muddy water clear.

Activated carbon is easy to make, as well as MUCH cheaper than buying it. I spent less than $5 for a gallon bag. I used the chlorine / bleach method, similar to this.

I just got a ZeroWater, posted about it here: White Gel in the water tank and water filtering. That it gets the TDS to 0 seems beyond activated charcoal. Pretty cheap to get into and NFS certified, so the next filtration levels at g/$ seem to be purified (TDS < 10) or an RO. But know nothing about the Berkley.

I was interested in the removal of aluminum, here's an independent lab test result for metals:
  • Aluminum reduction: 100%
  • Copper reduction: 99.1%
  • Arsenic reduction: 99.3%
  • Strontium reduction: 100%
  • Cadmium reduction: 99.2%
  • Cesium reduction: 100%
  • Mercury reduction: 99.4%
  • Lead reduction: 99.2%
  • Uranium reduction: 99.1%

Last edited:
the inline 0.1 small filter should be enough to produce a few gallons per day.
I have a couple of these filters, good for 100,000 gallons (but backwash is required every so often...). Sawyer also has this filter:
but a very close in-person look at it indicates it's the very same filter as the Mini (which comes with a small 16oz pouch), and on the SP856 package it claims to it can make up to 7 gallons an hour in gravity feed mode. So I'd have to think the Mini could also filter that much if set up in gravity feed at less than half the cost.

7 gallons an hour is pretty good. Set up more than one and you can have a days worth of potable water in no time at all.

Back