diy solar

diy solar

Water filter preference

We've had a large Berkey for years and we're still on the first set of filters. No matter where we travel, the water tastes the same. Worth every cent we paid.
I've had the British Berkfeld Big Berky stainless since the 90's. My original filters are still used. I bought spare black/white filters from England a few years ago, but haven't needed them yet. I really need nothing else. Best investment ever. Bought my Berky at a gun show.

Amazon had two packs of those mini-filters that can be attached to soda bottles etc. on sale for prime day. I picked up a couple to have on hand. I already have a mini-well brand filter that came with a hose and a bucket attachment kit.

Felt it a good idea to have on hand near my hunting gear.

I just filter the nastys out of the rain water while pumping it into my 500 gallon house tank the hit it with some bleach .
My drinking water comes From a improved spring down the road from the house or I bring the water from my well at home , it’s the best tasting water just pumped out of the ground .
As svets stated he has white gell in his water , I get the same thing ? I’m not sure what it is but dosent show in in the filtered tank .

Use a roof fed water system via 2 downpipes, into a 20-micron water filter. The before the motorhomes water pump is a 12 volt uv system. the UV is only used for making drinking water, so once every 2 months or when i run out of bottles.

To help make the perfect drinking water, along with the UV I use a Brita filter.

For general use, showers, cooking and washing up the UV is turned off. If I need to use stream or river water I pump in via a 12-volt pump through the water filter.

This system has been in use for almost 3 years and it has been brilliant and fun too when collecting water from streams. I replace the filters 3 times a year.

Was just reading up on making y own Berkey water filtration system using buckets and buying filters! Sounds like a fun project for small amounts of water usage for drinking. Has anyone done this? What size filter are you using Micron size wise and where is the best place to buy your filters?
The containers don't really matter though the stainless steel is of curse superior, what really matters is the filter itself. Go with the best, forget the rest, get the Royal Dalton ceramic candle . http://doultonusa.com/HTML pages/technology.htm

we have been using the berkey 3 gallon travel lite in the house for about 8 years now. I have changed the filters (four) just once in that time as each filter is good for 3000 gallons, and we use four thats 12k gallons of drinking and cooking water. at the cabin we get our water from a 1000 meter deep well that was drilled prior to my buying the cabin and is a joint "community" ran project via the
Co-Op. It gets tested once a year according to the local ordnances and is hard water but tests clean every year for any dangerous contaminants, heavy metals, radioactive isotopes etc.

I think the berky is probably the easiest to use or copy for a bug out trailer or what not a simple bit of prefiltering with two buckets one filled with small pea gravel and the second filled with sand would clean enough of the sediment out that the berkey would last much longer. as I would primarily want it to prevent protozoa, heavy metals etc. just my thoughts.

However, a close examination reveals that it's the same filter as the Mini (which comes with a little 16oz pouch), and the SP856 packaging boasts that it can produce up to 7 gallons per hour in gravity feed mode. So I'd have to believe that if set up in gravity feed, the Mini could filter that much for less than half the price.

7 gallons per hour is quite impressive. Set up many and you'll have a day's supply of drinking water in no time.

I recommend using Berkey BK4X2-BB. The Berkey filter removes unwanted substances while leaving the minerals essential for good health. Most importantly for me, Berkey sells fluoride filters that can be easily attached
I prefer the berky 9" filters as they last longer. but any of them are great.

However, a close examination reveals that it's the same filter as the Mini (which comes with a little 16oz pouch), and the SP856 packaging boasts that it can produce up to 7 gallons per hour in gravity feed mode. So I'd have to believe that if set up in gravity feed, the Mini could filter that much for less than half the price.

7 gallons per hour is quite impressive. Set up many and you'll have a day's supply of drinking water in no time.
Berkey BK4X2-BB is a product I suggest. The Berkey filter filters out undesirable contaminants while leaving vital minerals in the water. Berkey, most significantly for me, provides fluoride filters that are simple to instal.

Essential minerals are easy and relatively inexpensive to add to water. I use this RO filter, and add a mineral mix as i transfer 10k litres at a time to my house tank. From the house tank i have a 0.5micron carbon filter and a UV filter.

Attachments

• 5FFB2C26-0A80-4C75-915C-3F98CF904786.jpeg
    5FFB2C26-0A80-4C75-915C-3F98CF904786.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for sharing. I recently acquired some stainless steel stock pots to convert into berkey based water purifier. What sort of reservoir do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Planning on building it:

Like the way @mopat described but with berkey filter.
Bottom pot is filtered (reservoir) water; top pot is unfiltered. Both pots the same; cover for bottom pot is attached to base of top pot with filter nuts.

Berkey BK4X2-BB is a product I suggest. The Berkey filter filters out undesirable contaminants while leaving vital minerals in the water. Berkey, most significantly for me, provides fluoride filters that are simple to install.
Who makes the choice of what minerals are good and what are bad and what levels?

Most truly good water comes from RO as @toms has pointed out and then add back in the minerals you really want and at the levels that are healthy....Like iron is good for you but too much isn't...same with calcium and sodium.

have well for drinking water,
using EU standard filter size [ 10 " ] , 3 filter system
Ruff Sediment -> 5µm -> active carbon
the filters are bought in sets (5µm and active carbon), about 5€ for a set.
these filters need changing every 6-8 month (bacterial reason), if one uses chloride once in a while to bash out bacteria, they last for about 10.000 to 15.000 Liters.

Video about my watersystem with timestamp for filters ->

I use a 300ft poly pipe hose up a mountain stream and directly to a RO 75gpm membrane filter I buy from aliexpress for $7. every 300 gallons I switch out a few times a year. They are so cheap I don't even bother with a prefilter. Tdm .04 and change when it gets to .07. I have a daisy chain of the RO filters to speed them up.

Back