diy solar

diy solar

Water in diode box

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
Not complaining about the manufacturer. Just whining. My morning boost has been down (2S2P) and I took the time this morning to figure it out.

I learned water can go uphill and defeat a silicone gasketed cover. Or wick up the wiring?! It’s not like it’s protected under a solar panel or anything! I can’t imagine how it got in there but it did.

Attachments

• AE0E97B3-5761-41CE-B3A7-2305B4AF3656.jpeg
    AE0E97B3-5761-41CE-B3A7-2305B4AF3656.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 10
yes, water can easily go "uphill"...
here is another one for you; water can enter a water resistant container that is not air tight!!!

what happens is that as the air pressure changes, depending on humidity, humid air enters a container and then over time/temperature changes the water condenses inside.
You can find lots of info about fighting water intrusion into electrical wires/boxes on amateur radio forums.

wonder if those "do not eat" silicone dry packets would be of any help with condensation in the diode box
Normal temps range 0F to over 90F here
I suspect as alluded to above that temperature cycling didn’t help, never mind the occasional driving rain “may be heavy at times” lol

I’m waiting for seller to get back to me re: parts or perhaps warranty. That panel is three-ish years old but the box shouldn’t have leaked. I don’t think a desiccant is a good plan, but probably filling it with fluid film is what I’ll do, and maybe I’ll go through all the panels. Unnecessary failure imho but if there’s no room it shouldn’t take on any water anymore.

it’s fixable for sure as the panel is putting out. The terminals are corroded, and water siphoned down the panel cables and also filled the MC4 connectors. Other connectors are fine, just this one had both pos and neg connectors corroded so I’m guessing or assuming it came from the diode box.

if they have the cables and terminator ready made I’ll get that, or I can use the parts I have snd fix it. The diodes don’t look like they got wet and their legs are not corroded. I hate fluid film- it’s nasty. But it works wicked good for stopping corrosion in steel frames, oxidized battery terminals, and utility trailer wiring boxes.

^^^true. So far my MC4s have been good- except the ones down line from the box that had several ounces of water in it.

Back