diy solar

diy solar

Water Irrigation Pump

webnso

I have two 100 watt solar panels and a 2000 watt Whistler Inverter. I need to power a 1/2 HP AC motor for about 30 minutes a day from a solar charged battery. I was wondering if a 30 amp solar charger was adequate along with a single 100ah gel or AGM battery? Any thoughts or recommendations? Here is the solar charger i was looking at:
Temank EPEVER 30A MPPT Charge Controller 12V/24V Auto, 30 amp Solar Charge Controller MPPT Max 150V PV Input Negative Grounded Solar Regulator for Gel Sealed Flooded Battery

and this is the battery im looking at, items will sit in a shed that will get fairly warm in the summer.
Weize 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA VRLA Battery for Solar System RV Camping Trolling Motor, in Series 24V 36V 48V

Well, working the numbers, 1/2hp is 367watts.

So .5 hours a days is 184 watt hours. At 12v, that is 15 amp hours.

2x 100w panels harvesting sun for 5 hours is 1000 watt hours (assuming 100% efficiency, incorrectly of course should be more like 80%, 800wh).

On paper it looks like it should work. Your inverter hopefully is a pure sine wave type, otherwise the pump will run much less efficiently. The surge current to start the motor may require all of the 2000w capability, maybe more.

Thanks Mister Sandals, I don't think its a pure sine wave, it was 149.00 back in 2013, still new, rarely used at all.

• Mountable. Features 3 AC Outlets and 1 USB Port, along with Digital Battery Volt/Watt Meter (Monitors input volts and output watts).
  • Thermostat-controlled Cooling Fan.
  • High Surge / Ground Fault Sensing / Overload Indicator / Remote Operation Jack.
  • 2000 Watts Continuous power - 4000 Watts Surge Capacity (Peak Power)
  • Mountable. Features 3 AC Outlets and 1 USB Port, along with Digital Battery Volt/Watt Meter (Monitors input volts and output watts).
  • Thermostat-controlled Cooling Fan.
  • High Surge / Ground Fault Sensing / Overload Indicator / Remote Operation Jack.
  • For safety, features five separate points of Electronic Circuit Protection.

Give it a go and see if its happy enough for everyday use. You could probably use your car battery for a test. Keep an eye on the temperature of the motor, this will be the issue other than any roughness (or failure to start pumping).

im also considering this battery instead, reviews for previous battery are saying its really a 50ah battery, which i belie1595437263731.pngve is still plenty for my application:
1595437263731.png

Why can't you jus buy a pump that will run off your panels? Pumps are a lot cheaper than all the stuff to convert your current to run a ac pump.

Thanks, I will look into that and see how many panels i would need or how many watts. I found this pump online. 1595601735243.png1595601735243.png

Back