diy solar

diy solar

Waterproof Solar Controller

EmComm&SAR

Do you have a recommendation for a 15-20 amp MPPT solar controller for an outside portable configuration? I live in the not so sunny pacific northwest!

Any reason you cant have the SCC in a box ? I don't know of any waterproof controller.

Do you have a recommendation for a 15-20 amp MPPT solar controller for an outside portable configuration? I live in the not so sunny pacific northwest!
In terms of a cover or "box", its a possibility worth looking into. i built a portable solar system, using piano hinges to connect two 85 watt panels. it folds onto itself, not much room... I am trying to avoid the PWM module since they have produced interference that gets into the public service and amateur radios I use. the MPPT controller does not.

i built a portable solar system, using piano hinges to connect two 85 watt panels. it folds onto itself, not much room...
That sounds cool. So you’re trying to attach the solar charge controller (SCC) to the panels and have it fit inside when you fold it up?

Where is the battery bank located in the scheme of things? I’m trying to understand if there’s a separate enclosure for that and what its exposure is to the elements. Looking to see if there’s a more suitable dry location for the SCC that’s close to the battery.

I’m making a ton of assumptions in this post and in my head. Do you have pictures or a system diagram you can share? Thanks.

The problem with putting the SCC in a box will be cooling. To keep it dry forced ventilation is out. That leaves passive and to my mind, a box with an area cut out with the SCC's heatsink sticking through, with sealant or if you are lucky a gasket to seal it up.

I am trying to avoid the PWM module since they have produced interference that gets into the public service and amateur radios I use. the MPPT controller does not.

Interteresting, wasn't aware of this. A quick search on amazon revealed that most of the controllers marketed as 'waterproof are small PWM'. I'm not sure if PWM lends itself better to waterproofing somehow, if there is more of a market waterproof PWM since they are often used for small projects in the yard, or if sellers are making a calculated decision to market cheap PWM as waterproof because most won't bother with the warranty process for a 10-30 dollar controller wheras with multi hundred dollar units they better make damn sure they are actually waterproof.

Your best bet may be some sort of enclosure. But its also worth looking at a few marine electrical retailers to see if they have anything. Possibly Genasun controllers are worth exploring.

Last edited:
My "portable" system gets used to charge different batteries or banks of batteries on the front of a RV trailer... I don't have a diagram but I run the two panels through a PWM controller that is glued to the back of and inside the folded system when stored. I feed the load from there using a shortened 10 gauge extension cord with alligator clips to reach the batteries from a few feet to maybe 30 feet away. There is a small meter in line for monitoring. Its not as fancy as the factory systems, I use boards to prop the expanded system tilting it favorably towards the sun... 73

Several companies build weather proof boxes. Hoffman is one. If you are just trying to keep the rain off your charge controller you want a box rated NEMA 3. Their are others which go up in price. If you just used a box used for a exterior electrical panel that would get it you could probably find one used. Any openings should be in the bottom or lower sides and you should mount your equipment in the upper portion of the box.

Back