diy solar

diy solar

Weekend cabin for cold weather advice

Stiffler

Hello everyone!

So here is my setup I have my storage section( 2 uhaul trucks to store atvs) for my 5 quads and I have my RV on my off-grid property which are not close to each other so I'm building two separate solar systems. I'm in Michigan so winters get bout - 10 but mostly 0 degree Fahrenheit.

Onto the storage solar system. Goal is to charge atv agm Batt on trickle chargers yr round... This system can be upgraded I just bout a kit from renogy to get me rollin

100w panel, pvm solar controller, 1500w inverter and a 12yr old car batt (thus the reason for new batt). I got a deck box that would fit probably two or three car batteries, Inside is the battery, solar charge controller, & inverter which is sitting on a pallet where I have my 100watt panel attached to on milk crate. I was going to throw some 2-in foam insulation panels on top of the box and sides for winter. I've been on the market for a good battery but can't decide which type of batt I should go with to handle the cold. Since my system is outside 100% I know it is a up hill battle. I'd like to do either a agm or lead acid 100ah or 200 ah I hear that's the best way for cold but still open for better ideas

My 5 trickle chargers in total only pull 20w + the drain from inverter (haven't measured but its not a lot),,, I won't be digging a hole I won't be using cow manure, I can put hay around it but keeping the Batt warm to accept solar power is my concern, my impression was as long as it's getting solar power charging it keeps them warm. But at night it cold drop to -10 and i could go weeks before I go back up there to keep a eye on things and when I do it's only for 2 days on the weekends in the winter and summer currently I'm just testing the system with a 12 yr old car battery and it works just fine. But it's summer

Plan of attack for cold
run a 110v timer that turns on a incandescent light bulb inside the box @ night say 40w + up to 20w in chargers = 60 watt give or take, which a 100ah should handle that just under 24hr with no solar Imput. My hopes is that a 60 watt drain enough drain + the heat from the bulb enough To keep the Batt box warm inside so when the solar array turn on light bulb turns off and the loop continues..

Thoughts? Tips? Better way? Plz! All ears!

Solar rv setup
Plan is to buy eco-flow Delta Pro with the max amount of solar panels it requires to power rv for the summer /fall use with the inverter generator piggyback when needed & take it home to store in garage. when it comes to Winter was going to use a 200ah or 100ah agm or lead acid batt for the winter /snowmobiling weekends for just like lights TV and phone charging & that's gonna be using the same solar panels but I would need to get a mppt controller(suggestions) and a 2000w inverter which I have to power lights and small stuff in combo with 2000w inverter generator that runs on propane for the heavier loads like microwave.... in this case I have a shed not very big one but I'm thinking I'd have to create a smaller batt box and maybe do the same setup with a 110 volt timer that turns on a light bulb say 60 watts to have a drain on the battery @ night to create Heat along with the heat from light bulb. the rv has a parasitic drain that I haven't been able to measure yet so that comes in my favor come winter time

thank you
for taking the time and reading this lengthy post but I'm very new to this and I've done a crap ton of videos from Will( super awsome guy) and reading these threads a lot and this is what I have come up with I thought maybe doing the eg4 all-in-one but the parasitic drain from the inverter constantly and I also figured that it's probably not good to leave it outside in the shed in the winter time from all the moisture and whatnot thus the reason for the ecoflow delta

Exciting times…

I’m in Similar situation.
I wouldn’t buy the eco flow.

Last winter I learned a ton. I am at 7000ft and very cold.
My cabin only had 200w Solar and 200ah of lithium. Both were basically worthless in the winter. I ran my 4000w gas generator for 1-2 hours every morning and evening when I visited. I only used 2 Gallons of gas for a 2-3 day weekend. I spent about 10 weekends at the cabin so around 20 gallons of total.
My 2 snowmobiles I drove weekly so the batteries stayed charged with no maintenance.

I also had a 2000w propane generator I used on occasion and it also was awesome. I plan on using it more this winter.

I had a cheap renolgy 40amp Solar charger, 2x 100w solar panels, 2000w krieger inverter, car battery charger, 2- Sok 100ah batteries & 4000w champion generator. All of my cabin heat came from 2 cords of wood and a wood burning stove & propane wall heater for back-up.

The real generator was the the most efficient!
I paid $800 for it and only used about $100 in gas. It ran flawless. I could have just used the 2000w generator all winter on propane and would have had endless power for less than $700 total… and I would guess this year my only cost would be about $100-200 in propane.

I love the idea of solar and it works pretty well in the summer, but it struggled at “0” degrees. I will probably buy some lead acid batteries for lights this winter…but I’m still going to have to buy $400 in lead acid batteries to barely produce the power my generator can crank for a fraction of the cost.

Last year I invenvested $1000 in 2 SOK batteries, $250 in the inverter, $300 in the solar and $100 for the battery charger and all cables. The solar and batteries barely gave me 4 hours of very basic power each evening. If I ran a coffee maker or microwave it was toast! If i made toast it was toast.

I will be upgrading to to 1600w of solar and double my battieres to 400ah lithium and insulate the hell out of them… I think I will be ok. But that will cost me another $500-1000 for batteries and probably about the same in solar. So for and additional $2000 + a new mppt 2424lv let’s say $3000 all in… just to upgrade for this winter ….I’m still way over the cost of a cheap 2000w champion generator running on propane. Part of me thinks that’s still the cheapest option.

If I could go back in time… I would have hooked my champion 2000w propane generator up to my 200 gallon tank and just ran it all winter. When money starts to grow on trees … I will buy a lv2424 and hook it to some Solar and probably 4 lead acid batteries and 4 lithium 100ah and some sort of a switch to alternate back and forth.
I think running my lights on 12v might also be a smart upgrade and simple.

Exciting times…

I’m in Similar situation.
I wouldn’t buy the eco flow.

Last winter I learned a ton. I am at 7000ft and very cold.
My cabin only had 200w Solar and 200ah of lithium. Both were basically worthless in the winter. I ran my 4000w gas generator for 1-2 hours every morning and evening when I visited. I only used 2 Gallons of gas for a 2-3 day weekend. I spent about 10 weekends at the cabin so around 20 gallons of total.
My 2 snowmobiles I drove weekly so the batteries stayed charged with no maintenance.

I also had a 2000w propane generator I used on occasion and it also was awesome. I plan on using it more this winter.

I had a cheap renolgy 40amp Solar charger, 2x 100w solar panels, 2000w krieger inverter, car battery charger, 2- Sok 100ah batteries & 4000w champion generator. All of my cabin heat came from 2 cords of wood and a wood burning stove & propane wall heater for back-up.

The real generator was the the most efficient!
I paid $800 for it and only used about $100 in gas. It ran flawless. I could have just used the 2000w generator all winter on propane and would have had endless power for less than $700 total… and I would guess this year my only cost would be about $100-200 in propane.

I love the idea of solar and it works pretty well in the summer, but it struggled at “0” degrees. I will probably buy some lead acid batteries for lights this winter…but I’m still going to have to buy $400 in lead acid batteries to barely produce the power my generator can crank for a fraction of the cost.

Last year I invenvested $1000 in 2 SOK batteries, $250 in the inverter, $300 in the solar and $100 for the battery charger and all cables. The solar and batteries barely gave me 4 hours of very basic power each evening. If I ran a coffee maker or microwave it was toast! If i made toast it was toast.

I will be upgrading to to 1600w of solar and double my battieres to 400ah lithium and insulate the hell out of them… I think I will be ok. But that will cost me another $500-1000 for batteries and probably about the same in solar. So for and additional $2000 + a new mppt 2424lv let’s say $3000 all in… just to upgrade for this winter ….I’m still way over the cost of a cheap 2000w champion generator running on propane. Part of me thinks that’s still the cheapest option.

If I could go back in time… I would have hooked my champion 2000w propane generator up to my 200 gallon tank and just ran it all winter. When money starts to grow on trees … I will buy a lv2424 and hook it to some Solar and probably 4 lead acid batteries and 4 lithium 100ah and some sort of a switch to alternate back and forth.
I think running my lights on 12v might also be a smart upgrade and simple.
Thx for the response, I do the same thing I have the champion gene 2000w that runs on propane for all the heavy power needs it can go 34 hr on a 20lb tank but I got it hooked up to my 125 gal tank now and it's what I use for all my 110v needs and just using a lead batt for lights... this is by far the most economical cheapest solution but not very convenient cuz I have to go out there and start it every time I want to use the TV or microwave. I was considering The Eco delta pro cause it's portable ish and I can take it home during the winter to protect it along with everything that comes inside that makes it the powerhouse for the summertime.. cuz everything is going to be sitting in a shed non-insulated not heated and all that moisture that goes along with the changing environments... one of the other really cool reasons I was thinking about the eco-fo Delta Pro is now they just are coming out with a inverter generator in a month that runs on propane the previous model only ran on gasoline anyways it will connect to the Delta Pro and turn on itself when the battery drains too low automatically so self-sustaining power autonomously it will also turn itself back off when the battery reaches its level and you can set the parameters for it to turn on and turn off based on what you want your battery level to drain down to and while it's charging it back up it will also Supply Power so say for heavy loads. In all reality I'm trying to come up with an easy lazy solution for everything to be more autonomously versus me having to go out and spread the generator Yank on the cord 20 times to get it going I mean I can do an all of One eg4 and buy some batteries but then my eg4 is going to be sitting out in the cold the whole time I 100% planned on basically relying on the generator for winter use with the hopes of a better deep cycle battery to run the lights in a TV I don't have a very high power demand like I said I'm relying on one 100 amp hour battery that's very crappy and my inverter generator for TV microwave charging phones just trying to better the system there's also an inverter generator made by Westinghouse that has a remote start that runs on propane and that's 4,000 watts for 1,100 bucks... the Eco flow is a more expensive solution I think it's going to be the most easiest convenient solution that was the only reason why I was going eco I'm not hard set on it yet I like for instance those all in ones the inverter is on constantly and doesn't turn off where the Eco flow you can turn the inverter off say I'm gone for the week during the week so I don't have any parasitic drain it's all very interesting and very exciting and either way I got to drop some money and some solar and some batteries cuz I like to do the solar route for the summertime I'm aware that the winter time going to be a crap show and have to result in what I'm currently doing right now for the summer time cuz I don't anything at the moment however I did just buy a Harbor Freight 2,000 W inverter for 60 bucks for the winter time if the winter destroys the inverter big deal I'm only out 60 bucks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220824-072620_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220824-072620_Chrome.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
Can you send me picture of how you hooked the small propane generator to your big tank?

I completely understand not wanting to go outside to fire up the generator. I’m also searching for a more seamless solution but for the money the generator has been a life saver.

I did buy the Champion (*remote start) 4000W gas generator for this reason. It started flawlessly all winter even on the coldest mornings with a push of a button on the key-fob. Being able to start it from the warmth of the cabin was pretty awesome. Also in the middle of the night if you need power you can just start it up and all of my lights and flood lights kick on.

I would just push the button when I woke up in the morning and it would run for about 1-2 hours as I made coffee and breakfast. It would also charge the batteries while it was running. I buried a power cord and plugged it to a power strip in the cabin that has a switch on each plug. I have 2 power strips set-up. One strip runs off the inverter and 1 strip runs off of my generator. With the remote I can start/stop the generator when I want to use some serious watts… especially if vacuuming/microwave/ or any tools. This way to doesn’t suck all of the energy out of the batteries.
I bought 2 generators so I would have a back-up. The 2nd generator is the 2000w propane model that is a pull-start. I use it during the day when the weather is nice
And I don’t mind going outside. In the winter it takes me almost 1 hour of snow travel to get to the cabin on skis. So I needed a back-up in case I arrived and it wouldn’t start. I only had to experience 1 trip where I didn’t have power and it was miserable. My snowmobiles stay at the cabin so I can drive out and get fuel/etc but when it’s zero degrees and midnight in a full on blizzard it’s nice to have endless power.

I needed to be 100% certain I could generate power when needed or there was no way my wife was going to ever come back in the winter.

I do think some very basic 12v power for lights and charging electronics would be helpful. I’m planning on a few lead acid batteries and a few solar panels dedicated to it for this winter.

Attachments

• 989B59FA-E011-426C-895D-39430F3FB2C8.jpeg
    989B59FA-E011-426C-895D-39430F3FB2C8.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 16
  • D07601D7-9BDA-46AD-A53F-28F878B556EE.jpeg
    D07601D7-9BDA-46AD-A53F-28F878B556EE.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 17
I have enjoyed my solar and batteries this summer. It is quicker and quieter. I still run the generator but only for the microwave.

The 400w of Solar, and 2x100ah Soks give me lights/tv/coffee and some vacuuming and eBike charging. I’ll be curious if this winter how it works. I’m adding at least 200W more solar and insulating the batteries & adding a second set of lead acid. Also running some 12v lights and device chargers so at night I can charge my phone and run a small fan to move some heat.

I still think 1600w Solar, 400ah batteries both lead acid and lithium, generator, and all in one lv2424 would solve 90% of my problems.
I just haven’t committed to buying the entire system yet.

Can I use this to have lead acid and lithium and switch back and forth depending on the cold?

Ampper 1-2-Both-Off Battery Disconnect Switch, 12-48 V Battery Master Cut Shut Off Isolator Switch (1-2-Both-Off) https://a.co/d/cCQnir4

Can you send me picture of how you hooked the small propane generator to your big tank?

I completely understand not wanting to go outside to fire up the generator. I’m also searching for a more seamless solution but for the money the generator has been a life saver.

I did buy the Champion (*remote start) 4000W gas generator for this reason. It started flawlessly all winter even on the coldest mornings with a push of a button on the key-fob. Being able to start it from the warmth of the cabin was pretty awesome. Also in the middle of the night if you need power you can just start it up and all of my lights and flood lights kick on.

I would just push the button when I woke up in the morning and it would run for about 1-2 hours as I made coffee and breakfast. It would also charge the batteries while it was running. I buried a power cord and plugged it to a power strip in the cabin that has a switch on each plug. I have 2 power strips set-up. One strip runs off the inverter and 1 strip runs off of my generator. With the remote I can start/stop the generator when I want to use some serious watts… especially if vacuuming/microwave/ or any tools. This way to doesn’t suck all of the energy out of the batteries.
I bought 2 generators so I would have a back-up. The 2nd generator is the 2000w propane model that is a pull-start. I use it during the day when the weather is nice
And I don’t mind going outside. In the winter it takes me almost 1 hour of snow travel to get to the cabin on skis. So I needed a back-up in case I arrived and it wouldn’t start. I only had to experience 1 trip where I didn’t have power and it was miserable. My snowmobiles stay at the cabin so I can drive out and get fuel/etc but when it’s zero degrees and midnight in a full on blizzard it’s nice to have endless power.

I needed to be 100% certain I could generate power when needed or there was no way my wife was going to ever come back in the winter.

I do think some very basic 12v power for lights and charging electronics would be helpful. I’m planning on a few lead acid batteries and a few solar panels dedicated to it for this winter.
I will get some better pics on what u need as far as hose and regulator but I run up mine off my 125 gallon tank perfectly... I'm new to this site so finding my. Posts is hard for me

Attachments

• 20220925_174245.jpg
    20220925_174245.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 29
I’d love to see the attachment to the 125g tank. The smaller Champion Generator I am using requires I use the regulator similar to your set-up. I just need to set up a longer hose and a T and some sort of shut-off at the tank.

I’d love to see the attachment to the 125g tank. The smaller Champion Generator I am using requires I use the regulator similar to your set-up. I just need to set up a longer hose and a T and some sort of shut-off at the tank.
I am heading up North this weekend and we'll take pictures on how I did it but the propane company is where it's at I had them make me the hose and come out and redo the regulator so that I had a high pressure regulator and a dedicated line just for the generator coming off the big tank. there's a t the 125 gallon tank a brown low pressure regulator to feed the instant hot water heater and the fifth wheel camper and gas dryer and then the high pressure regulator that's directly connected to the generator in which I got it set up so that I can use the factory connector hose and regulator kit that came with a generator I purchased the Westinghouse I gen 4500 dual fuel with remote start for $1249 on Amazon it did cost me a couple hundred bucks and hoses and having them come back out and add another regulator but it's worth it hand over fist

Dm me for more info

Attachments

• 20221009_172809.jpg
    20221009_172809.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221009_172843.jpg
    20221009_172843.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221009_172912.jpg
    20221009_172912.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221009_172915.jpg
    20221009_172915.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221009_172928.jpg
    20221009_172928.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221009_172935.jpg
    20221009_172935.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221009_173007.jpg
    20221009_173007.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220925_174245.jpg
    20220925_174245.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 19
Plan is to buy eco-flow Delta Pro with the max amount of solar panels
wouldn’t buy the eco flow.
Me either. A lot of money for way less power than the same money can buy in good equipment and batteries.
the rv has a parasitic drain that I haven't been able to measure yet so that comes in my favor come winter time
In no circumstances I can think of is that desirable.
Q? are the lithium’s temperature protected BMS’s? Cold won’t bother them but charging below 33*F will kill them forever.
Insulate them all you want but they cannot be presented with charging voltage below freezing unless they are temperature protected from charging by the BMS or other means.
was going to use a 200ah or 100ah agm or lead acid batt for the winter /snowmobiling weekends for just like lights TV and phone charging & that's gonna be using the same solar panels but I would need to get a mppt controller
I would by either (cheap option) walmartha marine fla batteries, or 6V golf cart batteries (more dependable lifespan, way more watthours, a bit more money). In your case I’d not use lithium because of winter use.
The solar and batteries barely gave me 4 hours of very basic power each evening
I run full time on -300Ah of lead acid. Power output is fine in winter, it’s the short sun and weeks of cloudiness that effected my batteries last Nov/Dec
Furnace fan at 5A continuously is a factor, too. That’s the big thing- continuous steady draws.
But I use 800W of panels- 200W is doable summers but not once sun gets short.
still think 1600w Solar, 400ah batteries both lead acid and lithium, generator, and all in one lv2424 would solve 90% of my problems.
I just haven’t committed to buying the entire system yet.
I love my LV1012-MK but the idle consumption is noticeable over when I ran a Giandel inverter and Epever mppt SCC. In winter it’s going to be significant. I’d suggest components- for example I have a psw QZRELB/Reliable 2000W inverter that I’ve measured at ~22W and the Giandel psw was 26- a lot less than the 60-80W idle your lv2424 will use. That’s something to consider for winter use.
I’m simply going to run the LV1012 with the inverter switch off (for the mppt only for my 800W) over the winter, use Epever SCCs as well with 2kW of panels. The output of the panels will be insanely over my needs in winter sun, but the hope is that with nearly 3kW nominal of panels that I can eek just enough power in the cloudy periods and short days to not have to supplement.
Im in Vermont- you’ll have similar short days, and I don’t know if you go two weeks without sun.

Thanks. I’m down to 4 weeks before the snow fly’s. Your advice so far has been super helpful.

I’ve wasted some money and a ton of time….along the way trying to figure out how to do it.

With 4 weeks till the snow flys I think my system just hit a small road block. 1 of my SOK 12volt batteries just went up in smoke. I can’t say for sure what caused it.

I ran these all summer flawlessly as a 12volt system with a Basic inverter, renolgy solar 40a charger and 4x100w panels, generator and battery charger.
I noticed 1 of the SoK batteries didn’t seem to want to go over 11v today… I opened the case and part of the BMS is black…there was a subtle smell.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1951C1AA-5C8D-451F-8317-0FD5B567917A.jpeg
    1951C1AA-5C8D-451F-8317-0FD5B567917A.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 9B9FB2A6-46FC-4B1D-9A9C-87CE6C998292.jpeg
    9B9FB2A6-46FC-4B1D-9A9C-87CE6C998292.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 220783DC-75F4-4B71-B8CC-BFE8C3F9C532.jpeg
    220783DC-75F4-4B71-B8CC-BFE8C3F9C532.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 56DFB669-4D4A-411D-8A7F-4FBDD5D9183C.jpeg
    56DFB669-4D4A-411D-8A7F-4FBDD5D9183C.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 8
  • E9C0BA3D-A01F-46D5-8046-088F55E896B2.jpeg
    E9C0BA3D-A01F-46D5-8046-088F55E896B2.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 8
  • A48C2141-C475-4795-B6F4-EFC436DFF5BC.jpeg
    A48C2141-C475-4795-B6F4-EFC436DFF5BC.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 8
I guess it could be overloaded
With 4 weeks till the snow flys I think my system just hit a small road block. 1 of my SOK 12volt batteries just went up in smoke. I can’t say for sure what caused it.

I ran these all summer flawlessly as a 12volt system with a Basic inverter, renolgy solar 40a charger and 4x100w panels, generator and battery charger.
I noticed 1 of the SoK batteries didn’t seem to want to go over 11v today… I opened the case and part of the BMS is black…there was a subtle smell.
Any thoughts?

I reached out to SOK.
The more I experiment with 24v and AIO I’m starting to miss the 12v basic system that was super simple and worked.

I reached out to SOK.
The more I experiment with 24v and AIO I’m starting to miss the 12v basic system that was super simple and worked.
I’m weird, probably.
But I am enamored with 12VDC for similar reasons AND I can like buy stuff at a parts store or walmartha if there’s an emergency- though I’ve never had one.

Recently acquired the stuff to go LiFePo 12V. I love my AIO but it isn’t as efficient as the separate epevers and inverter(s). The AIO is expensive enough that I didn’t buy a backup- but I have several means of redundancy and backup for the small components.

12V handles my needs fine up to 2000W. 2/0 battery cables exceed the loads. The ‘next step’ won’t be 24V because my needs are handled- any increased needs are table saws and welders and such and that exceeds 24V in my mind- 48V and good equipment fits that bill. Though I’ll probably run a parallel 12VDC system for lighting in the shop.

But i hear you. It’s been a few years now and what little compromises I thought I made at the beginning weren’t a big deal. I can’t even remember what they were :)

It’s been humbling and sort of expensive trying to navigate powering an off grid cabin.

So far the cheap 12v inverter and generator have been flawless… it isn’t sexy. Honestly everything else has struggled with the lack the sun, cold weather, or technical issues. I could have definitely built a robust bomb proof simple 12v system for what I have spent trying to chase my tail.
Now I have to shut down the 24v to wait for parts from Sok. I could just have heard to Walmart or cosco and picked up a new $100 battery or 12 of them honestly.

Back