diy solar

diy solar

Weird layout, need wiring guidance for 2P16S

learntorv

I’m probably the slowest builder ever but I’m finally ready to place the batteries into my RV. I’m doing a 48v system and 2 parallel/16 series build with a single BMS (yes, I know this is controversial- no, I’m not changing it).

I’ve got 34 cells here with 2 of them being spares in case something goes wrong with one. The batteries are feeding a pair of 48/5000 Quattros plus a pair of smaller 48/12 converters.

Any ideas for wiring these up? I’m going to start with the freebie busbars while I await flexible bars to come in from China. I am thinking I’ll use busbars between the sets of cells (10 on the outsides and 3 sets of 4 down the middle). And then 2/0 cable to connect each set of batteries to the next.

Attachments

• 864693E2-0073-4D76-86A9-0FAD112405D5.jpeg
    864693E2-0073-4D76-86A9-0FAD112405D5.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 11
I though it was only acceptable to place cells on there sides such that terminals are horizontal, not vertical as shown in your picture.

The though being if horizontal, both electrodes will have even electrolyte coverage, vertical one electrode may not be fully covered.

I have a 3P16S configuration in my garage with plenty of space. In an RV with limited space there could be a benefit to buying another BMS and getting a tighter configuration with some compression. In an RV with constant movement compression reduces the stress on the terminal tops because movement is reduced. Also in an earlier configuration I tried the cells on their sides and did get a whiff of electrolyte leaking.

I have a 3P16S configuration in my garage with plenty of space. In an RV with limited space there could be a benefit to buying another BMS and getting a tighter configuration with some compression. In an RV with constant movement compression reduces the stress on the terminal tops because movement is reduced. Also in an earlier configuration I tried the cells on their sides and did get a whiff of electrolyte leaking.

I definitely plan on compression of the cells to limit movement. I'm curious about the electrolyte leaking on their sides like that, though.

I though it was only acceptable to place cells on there sides such that terminals are horizontal, not vertical as shown in your picture.

The though being if horizontal, both electrodes will have even electrolyte coverage, vertical one electrode may not be fully covered.
Looks like it's fine per Amy Zheng's comment (no login to FB required to see it):

Back