diy solar

diy solar

Weize batteries have gone up on Amazon

there is a guy John Daniel on youtube, he seems to be having issues with chins, anyone see whats up:

I don't want to go OT but I'm trying to nail down 4 100Ah/200AH batts and debating between wieze, amperetime, and chins.

There are some unbelievable deals on amazon right now.

I just picked up 2 of these Dobelay 12V 100Ah lithium batteries for $210 each! There is a 65% off coupon at checkout. It says you can only use one coupon per order but it let me make two orders within 10 minutes on the same account, to the same address. Amazon no returns. It says 100A discharge and cold temp protection. I'll give it a try.

I also bought one of these enelong 12V 100Ah lithiums for $200. That's $0.15 per Wh! Before today I'd never seen anything below $250. Amazing. This one allows returns until Jan 31st. It doesn't say anything about low temp protection and it only has a 50A max continuous discharge rate. At this price though I'll give it a try and see if it is any good. I'll return it if it sucks!

I've picked up 6600Wh of batteries in the last month for $1150. An average of $0.17 per Wh.

I think it's time for Will to do another budget battery shootout and tear some of these down.

Last edited:
there is a guy John Daniel on youtube, he seems to be having issues with chins, anyone see whats up:

I don't want to go OT but I'm trying to nail down 4 100Ah/200AH batts and debating between wieze, amperetime, and chins.
I watched that video and tried to find the promised followup but he rambles so much I cant even figure out what his actual problem is with the battery. He's got wires and cables running everywhere, camera is jerky, hard to follow. He also promotes power queen in all these videos which he mentiones that he uses paid referral links for them and then he insinuates that "professional" youtubers (I guess he's referring to Will) are somehow only recommending products that they get paid for. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? He's playing on peoples desire to find a "secret" that the "professionals" don't want you to know. He implies that most everyone else is corrupted and he's the one telling the truth. It's classic conspiracy thinking and unfortunately that content seems to get lots of viewers on youtube, but he's not my cup of tea. If it has a 100A BMS and it cant put out 100A, send it back, it's defective. Otherwise, I'm confused what his problem with the battery is. He doesn't think CHINS should sell a 200Ah battery with a 100A BMS? It's clearly labeled that it's a 100A BMS and they also sell one with a 200A BMS if you need that. Some people might not need 200A output...Honestly I cant figure out why he doesn't think that's OK.

well thats fine and all but if the chins 100A can't put out 50A then something is up... I think what he may be referring to is that Chins cherry picks units to send to reviewers, where he was just some random buyer on amazon and got a dud.

He does some interesting tests, the power queen 100a was able to put out 135A running 2 a/c units.

but I also saw another guy showing powerqueen been much lower capacity.

well thats fine and all but if the chins 100A can't put out 50A then something is up... I think what he may be referring to is that Chins cherry picks units to send to reviewers, where he was just some random buyer on amazon and got a dud.
I agree if it can't put out 100A continuously then it's not meeting it's spec, but I looked through that video again and I don't see him test the maximum output current at all. Where does it fail to put out 50A? I think we would have seen a problem in the reviews if it couldn't put out 50A. That's only a 640W load, surely people have tested these with inverters that draw more than that. I don't have one or I would check. As far as them sending good ones to reviewers and bad ones to everyone else, sure that's possible but I think all the people who got duds would be leaving bad reviews and there are over 1000 reviews on amazon and only 7% are 3 stars or less. Also there are probably lots of smaller youtubers like him (or people in this forum) that just ordered regular units for their tests, it wouldn't have been just him that noticed if it couldn't put out 50A. I think everything the guy says is possible but just not likely. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to convince me. What seems more likely to me is that he just got a dud and he should return it or that there was a problem in how he was measuring the 50A. Maybe I'm just a skeptical person.

Hi Aricio, I was in the process of getting quotes for their 48v 200ah batteries when I came across this post. I went back to my Taico contact and told them that I have a few concerns regarding purchasing from them until they address your issues and others on this forum. I've included the link to this thread so hopefully this will get them to help your issues and others too. Its really affecting my decision to buy from them. All the best and good luck!
Thank you for doing this. My whole wish were to warn people about this company. Perhaps others exist that are honest but not this one. In the process i felt like i turned into an evil person. They forced me do this. They talk really nice (they call you ‘friend’ so often) until they complete the transaction. But what you did was so nice. Thank you again.

The two $210 dobelays arrived today Fedex. Actually they tried to deliver yesterday but required a signature and I wasn't home. So far so good. They look real and I like the handles better than the strap on the weize actually. They feel sturdy. They weren't packed that great with loose bolts banging around, but they weren't damaged. They are charging now. I'll do more review later. This deal is amazingly still live at $210.

The UPS tracking number for the $200 enelong says it will come tomorrow.

I ordered a proper capacity tester on aliexpress but it's currently on a boat from china so it will be a few weeks until I get it. I have a cool little capacity tester that I've had for years but it only does 5A (it wasn't designed for these huge lithium batteries) so it took almost 78 hours to test one of my Weize 12V 100Ah batteries. It passed though. The Weize measured 99.8Ah 1282Wh. But I might wait on testing the others until the DL24P gets here.

20221112_222741.jpg

The dobelay 12V 100Ah batteries weigh 22.3lb each. Strangely the "Copper*" terminals on the batteries are not M8 threaded. (According to the picture: "*Ordinary battery use iron, we use copper") Two black 5/16"-18TPI bolts are included loose in the cardboard box and they thread in nicely but M8 bolts don't thread in. Also the included bolts bottom out in the terminals leaving about a 3mm gap so without a washer, a thin ring terminal remains loose. No washers included. Not a big deal, I've got some washers, but a little odd. The specs and the product page say M8 terminals.

Decent manual is included with many BMS voltages and limits. Cold temp charging protection is mentioned in the manual but I haven't tested it yet. Manual says up to 4p4s is allowed.

The batteries had foam on top and bottom but not the sides in a thin cardboard box. Then they were simply dropped in a larger cardboard box with no additional padding. Pretty risky if you ask me with those bolts rattling around too. The Weize batteries I got last month were packed way better with thicker foam on all sides and thicker, appropriately sized cardboard. Some photos of the Dobelay batteries and poor packaging:

20221113_102154.jpg20221113_102110.jpg

Last edited:
Decent manual is included with many BMS voltages and limits. Cold temp charging protection is mentioned in the manual but I haven't tested it yet. Manual says up to 4p4s is allowed.
What would happen if you ran more then 4 in parallel? I'm always confused when BMS's state they have a parallel limit, I understand having series limits due to bms voltage limits however.

So far the Dobelays have been in the chest freezer for 5hrs at 14F and when I pull them out and put them on my bench, they still are taking a 30mA charge.....So either the low temp sensor is buried deep in there and it hasn't got cold enough yet, or they dont have cold temp protection.

The photo on amazon says the smart "build-in" BMS has Cut-Off under 32F. The product description says: "cut-off function prevents charging under 32℉/0℃;" and the manual also says "The BMS will not allow a charging current under 0C/32F." Hmmmmm

They still allow a 30mA charge after 10 hrs in the deep freeze. I'm going to do a final check in the morning after 24hrs.

I ordered one of the Dobelay 12v 100AH batteries for a small system for my backyard lights. I probably won't ever really need low-temp protection given I live in the Bay Area, but it'd be good to know if LTP is in there or not.

OK well after about 30 hrs in the freezer at 14F they still accept charge normally. I even upped the current to half an amp (0.005C) and both of the Dobelay batteries accepted current for 15 seconds. I'd say that's pretty conclusive that they don't have cold temp charging protection.

Yeah, that's too bad. The out-the-door price is still good for a 100AH battery without LTP, but I wonder how many people are going to get burned by this.

Don't purchase that Dobelay battery on Amazon. There's some sort of fraud going on. The FedEx tracking number doesn't show the same tracking details, so I'm not totally sure what's going on, but I'm going to file a dispute with my credit card. The package was redirected to a different address according to Amazon. FedEx shows that there was a shipping exception when it got to Stockton, CA.Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 9.31.25 AM.png

Don't purchase that Dobelay battery on Amazon. There's some sort of fraud going on. The FedEx tracking number doesn't show the same tracking details, so I'm not totally sure what's going on, but I'm going to file a dispute with my credit card. The package was redirected to a different address according to Amazon. FedEx shows that there was a shipping exception when it got to Stockton, CA.View attachment 120635
I wouldn't expect this to be a fraud, possibly some sort of mixup but considering the previous reviews and happy customers it seems to be reputable. Although, I find it hilarious that it was signed by "FFRAUD" ?

Interesting. Both of the tracking numbers for my 2 batteries said there was a "Shipment exception Unable to deliver" at a distribution center. So I called fedex and they said it was on the truck out for delivery. I didn't believe them but sure enough they came that day and I missed them (signature required). Fedex came back the next day and I signed for them. The tracking numbers still haven't been updated after the time of the shipment exception. So I'd call fedex first, then contact the seller through amazon before contacting your credit card.

Interesting story...I contacted the seller to complain about there not being low temp charging protection and they offered to fully refund both batteries. I accepted and the full refunds including shipping and tax came through amazon and posted to my card this morning. It sounded a little too good to be true so my fraud Spidey sense was going off too, but I haven't been able to figure out if anything is actually going on here, or if it's just a disorganized seller trying to offload some batteries that maybe didn't meet their quality control by not having LTP and the wrong size threads. I'm satisfied so far to have free batteries without protection. They've been working normally so far though I haven't done a capacity test on them yet.Capture.PNG

some batteries that maybe didn't meet their quality control by not having LTP and the wrong size threads. I'm satisfied so far to have free batteries without protection. They've been working normally so far though I haven't done a capacity test on them yet.
Ordered (4) of these last night and the discount code worked fine as long as you made each of the purchases as a new order.

I'm planning to use these in my RV. My plan was to build an insulated box with a heating mat so that they should never (in theory) drop below temp..... But I'm curious a) how I can test of the bms has the same issues as yours and b) if there's an additional step I can take to protect them if the temp does dip down below freezing and the BMS doesn't have LTP?

I'm planning to use these in my RV. My plan was to build an insulated box with a heating mat so that they should never (in theory) drop below temp..... But I'm curious a) how I can test of the bms has the same issues as yours
Its really pretty easy. Put it in a freezer for long enough to get cold all the way through. I'd say at least 8 hrs. Then immediately try to charge it with a low charge current (around 1A or less is fine). If it allows current to flow in, then it doesn't have protection.
and b) if there's an additional step I can take to protect them if the temp does dip down below freezing and the BMS doesn't have LTP?
Often solar charge controllers have temperature sensors as well and can limit charging below freezing temperatures. As long at the temperature sensor can be stuck to the batteries, it should work fine. In an RV situation though you might also charge from shore power or the alternator so you would need to deal with those situations.

Lastly, according to some academic studies I've read, charging at low charge rates below freezing might not be as big of a problem as people make it out to be. Charge rates below about 0.2C seem safe down to -10°C, but it may vary depending on how the cell was manufactured so use this information at your own risk.

Last edited:
Often solar charge controllers have temperature sensors as well and can limit charging below freezing temperatures. As long at the temperature sensor can be stuck to the batteries, it should work fine. In an RV situation though you might also charge from shore power or the alternator so you would need to deal with those situations.

I'll be charging with a DC-DC charger so source of input power doesn't so much matter. It would make this easy if there was an option built into the charger but I don't see this as a feature available in either the Renogy that I already have or the Victron that I've been looking at.

Back