diy solar

diy solar

Weize batteries have gone up on Amazon

The dobelay 12V 100Ah batteries weigh 22.3lb each. Strangely the "Copper*" terminals on the batteries are not M8 threaded. (According to the picture: "*Ordinary battery use iron, we use copper") Two black 5/16"-18TPI bolts are included loose in the cardboard box and they thread in nicely but M8 bolts don't thread in. Also the included bolts bottom out in the terminals leaving about a 3mm gap so without a washer, a thin ring terminal remains loose. No washers included. Not a big deal, I've got some washers, but a little odd. The specs and the product page say M8 terminals.

Decent manual is included with many BMS voltages and limits. Cold temp charging protection is mentioned in the manual but I haven't tested it yet. Manual says up to 4p4s is allowed.

The batteries had foam on top and bottom but not the sides in a thin cardboard box. Then they were simply dropped in a larger cardboard box with no additional padding. Pretty risky if you ask me with those bolts rattling around too. The Weize batteries I got last month were packed way better with thicker foam on all sides and thicker, appropriately sized cardboard. Some photos of the Dobelay batteries and poor packaging:

View attachment 120129View attachment 120130

Mine came packed much nicer. Bolts and terminals are 5/16" (weird!)

Will be 20f overnight so can report back on low temp protection to compare notes.

There are some unbelievable deals on amazon right now.

I just picked up 2 of these Dobelay 12V 100Ah lithium batteries for $210 each! There is a 65% off coupon at checkout. It says you can only use one coupon per order but it let me make two orders within 10 minutes on the same account, to the same address. Amazon no returns. It says 100A discharge and cold temp protection. I'll give it a try.

I also bought one of these enelong 12V 100Ah lithiums for $200. That's $0.15 per Wh! Before today I'd never seen anything below $250. Amazing. This one allows returns until Jan 31st. It doesn't say anything about low temp protection and it only has a 50A max continuous discharge rate. At this price though I'll give it a try and see if it is any good. I'll return it if it sucks!

I've picked up 6600Wh of batteries in the last month for $1150. An average of $0.17 per Wh.

I think it's time for Will to do another budget battery shootout and tear some of these down.
I also bought one of the Dobelay for $210 2 weeks ago.
I don't have a meter to test out how much it's putting out but I fully charged it and then ran it empty with my frig.
I charged it back up and it seems to put back 105ah.
So far impressed. Once I got done testing it, I was going to purchase 1 more and the % is only 50% vs 65%. I'll wait.

Yeah I was surprised to not find any better deals on amazon for "black friday" / "cyber monday". It's a reminder that those hyped up shopping days aren't always the best time to buy. The $200 enelong, the $210 dobelay, and the $250 Weize deals are all gone. But they will probably be back eventually.

I have now received my DL24P. I paid $32.88 on aliexpress and it arrived in 17days. I've capacity tested both the Dobelays and one measured 100Ah and the other measured 98Ah. The second one I don't think was 100% charged and it was also about 35F in my shed which would explain 2% loss in capacity. So all these batteries have now passed my capacity tests and I haven't had any issues with any of them except that the dobelay batteries don't have low temp protection. They were still well worth $210 and they refunded all my money anyway.

I'm very green to this but it possible there is a software upgrade for the BMS? Have you cracked it open to see what unit is inside?

I'm very green to this but it possible there is a software upgrade for the BMS? Have you cracked it open to see what unit is inside?
No I haven't tried to open any of my batteries. Based on videos of other people doing it there's not a way to do it without destroying the case.

Yeah I was surprised to not find any better deals on amazon for "black friday" / "cyber monday". It's a reminder that those hyped up shopping days aren't always the best time to buy. The $200 enelong, the $210 dobelay, and the $250 Weize deals are all gone. But they will probably be back eventually.

I have now received my DL24P. I paid $32.88 on aliexpress and it arrived in 17days. I've capacity tested both the Dobelays and one measured 100Ah and the other measured 98Ah. The second one I don't think was 100% charged and it was also about 35F in my shed which would explain 2% loss in capacity. So all these batteries have now passed my capacity tests and I haven't had any issues with any of them except that the dobelay batteries don't have low temp protection. They were still well worth $210 and they refunded all my money anyway.
Thanks for the report. Hell of a deal on the Dobelay. Can't beat free.
I'm guessing the one they sell right now for 50% off would have low temp protection and they don't want to send you those and get the old one back.

Temps finally dropped enough to test. The (4) batteries I received do have low temp protection that works. I believe it's a little below 32f but I am glad to see it!

Temps finally dropped enough to test. The (4) batteries I received do have low temp protection that works. I believe it's a little below 32f but I am glad to see it!
The batteries you tested are the dobelays right? Wow interesting because the Dobelay batteries I tested didn't have low temp protection. Must have been two different batches from the factory.

The batteries you tested are the dobelays right? Wow interesting because the Dobelay batteries I tested didn't have low temp protection. Must have been two different batches from the factory.
You are correct. I don't have a great way to check internal battery temps obviously. I left them out at 28F and they still took a charge. But the next morning after a night at 10F they wouldn't take anything.

You are correct. I don't have a great way to check internal battery temps obviously. I left them out at 28F and they still took a charge. But the next morning after a night at 10F they wouldn't take anything.
Good to know. Definitely low temp protection then.

Back