diy solar

diy solar

Welcome, from Sunny Phoenix AZ

Etrailer has a beautiful built in type, great selection. Quite a few. View attachment 11674
If I decide to use a 2000W inverter then I will definitely get a higher power, built-in model.

I hate to operate equipment at its rated maximum power and even operating the cheapy 600W oven (with a claimed 900W draw) off a 1000 W inverter doesn't make me comfortable.

I am a design engineer (BSEE) and I don't trust dirt cheap Chinese products to to work as specified at the limits.

I think the crappy 600W oven is safe to operate from the Delta 1300, and since I am a weekend warrior not a full time RV guy, I am ok with the limited number of recharge cycles the Delta 1300 is going to give me.

Does charging the Delta 1300 from solar power extend the life of the Delta 1300 since it is charging the batteries slower?

BTW, I recently ordered the Bluetti 2400 from Amazon. Before they would ship it, the seller sent me an email to confirm I was aware of the limitations of a 1KW inverter. Sounds like they've gotten a lot of complaints from buyers who didn't do the homework.

The one on Amazon is currently the only 600W microwave I am aware of. The Haier 600w microwave is discontinued. I had one for 6 years before I sold it, and I think it is still going. I don't know what the draw would be on a 700W. Lot of choices for those.

What I have seen so far, 700W ovens need 1100W or more. Like I said, I really wish the Bluetti 2400 had a 1500W inverter. Weird that they would double the battery capacity and keep the same inverter.

I hope you would forgive me...... kicked the microwave out along with drip coffee makers in 2001! And have never shopped for one.....

I have a nice butane stove/grill that will do most of the cooking. I have cooked a number of meals over it at home and really like it.

81I73N8l+eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

NTK MAGUS, Butane Grill Stove

Only downside is the promised plastic case is non-existent. Much nicer for grilling meat over. I hate the taste of propane odorant. I plan on using a diesel heater, so sticking to butane and electricity for cooking means I won't have to deal with propane in my van. One less way to kill myself.

When traveling by myself, it will be the ultimate luxury to be able to pop an entree into the microwave and eat a meal without any fuss or muss. Plus pop-corn, bliss.

My 700 w micro pulls 1100 watts running on high but has 10 selectable power levels. If I run it at level 5 or 6 it pulls much less but cook times increase.
Run tests with a kilowatt meter to know for sure what your oven is pulling on each level.
I’m only running one 12v 100ah LiFePo thru a 1500watt pure sine Gowise inverter at this time but using two of them placed In parallel would be easier on everything Plus maybe a 2000w inverter for an extra margin of power.

Last edited:
Fridge will use 3A for 10 hours per day (400 WH).

In reference to your fridge, I have an Alpicool 20 the uses < 400WH a day when the daytime temps are in the 80's. A 120W panel and a 50ah lithium battery dedicated to the fridge and dome light in my cargo/camping trailer. Has no problem keeping that going. Everything else gets powered by a Jackery 500 and another 120W panel. If I run into a deficit I can run the fridge off the Jackery. The redundancy also fulfills the 2 is 1 and 1 is none philosophy.

When we had a heat wave there of 125F every day, people cooked eggs in the back window of their car. Curious if anyone has created a "sun oven" for their vehicles to use during the day that amplifies the sun, perhaps augmented by electric. Have you heard of anyone doing that?

These are supposed to be great. Lots of user reports in other forums of this type. I heat water in vaccum tubes as a demonsration.

There is a hybrid electric model at go sun, cant post a link for some reason.

Always wanted to build a sun kettle for coffee and tea but since the array is out there it makes sense to turn a knob on an electric rangetop! Less fidgeting around.

For travelling solar ovens can get it done and save on dissapointments in running the battery to empty by shifting the storage to another day, like having a nearly full battery and solar cooking on a sunny day because the next three days wont allow direct pv or thermal solar use.

That and setting a hunk of materials down and coming back to cooked food that took extreme low effort and no fuel is pretty awesome.
Screenshot_2020-04-24-08-57-41.jpg

These are supposed to be great. Lots of user reports in other forums of this type. I heat water in vaccum tubes as a demonsration.

There is a hybrid electric model at go sun, cant post a link for some reason.

Always wanted to build a sun kettle for coffee and tea but since the array is out there it makes sense to turn a knob on an electric rangetop! Less fidgeting around.

For travelling solar ovens can get it done and save on dissapointments in running the battery to empty by shifting the storage to another day, like having a nearly full battery and solar cooking on a sunny day because the next three days wont allow direct pv or thermal solar use.

That and setting a hunk of materials down and coming back to cooked food that took extreme low effort and no fuel is pretty awesome.
View attachment 11745
That is awesome! Thanks for the info.

Back