diy solar

diy solar

Well I almost burnt the house down. Time to ask for some help....

That there is what happens when all cells get overcharged and not strapped together.;)

That there is what happens when all cells get overcharged and not strapped together.;)

Interesting, if they were strapped most likely they will vent at some point, wich brings the question, its worse to have a puffed or a vented cell? ?

The reason it didn't vent is because it had room to expand (no cell compression in the build) it would of been interesting to see how much strain on the adjoining connection.
View attachment 15008

Ok...I get that. And good question about the adjoining connection. So if the battery vents I guess we would see a big balloon coming out of the vent hole...:ROFLMAO: But seriously as bad as that battery expanded I would have thought it would have vented. I mean aluminum can only stretch so far. So if the cells are compressed in a pack and balloon then what would come out of the vent? I guess it would be gas.

@GeorgeV7 thanks for sharing this scared experience. It’s a great wake up call and learning for us noobs.
Let us know how you go and what bms you grab

The search on this forum is either very bad or I'm very ignorant of how to use it. I've looked for these threads and can't find them. Do you remember which forum they were in? Or do you know how to specify two required search keywords?
Search is a bit Borked here. your better off using the Advanced Search function and be specific, t still takes effort & patience. I find the search quite frustrating and IMO it hurts the capability of the forum.

This may be helpful:
Also a recommended one from Victron is https://emusbms.com/product/bms-mini but the new version is just about to be released.
Th Victron Gear uses CANBus & VE.Bus to communicate & interact. I would think that any CANbus capable BMS could be interfaced, Victron has open-sourced that software so it can be done. There is a thread or two on here about doing just that... again the search feature has to be used.

Search is a bit Borked here. your better off using the Advanced Search function and be specific, t still takes effort & patience. I find the search quite frustrating and IMO it hurts the capability of the forum.

There is a way to improve search, but it means taking down the server for a while and also relying on another server for search (with the current hosting set-up). I think it might be something we do in the future, but Will was (understandably) hesitant of making the changes.

Search is a bit Borked here. your better off using the Advanced Search function and be specific, t still takes effort & patience.

Yeah the advanced search isn't much better. I tried everything I could think of to require both search words to be present in order to get a hit --- with no luck. I don't know who was in those threads so being able to specify the user doesn't help, and I'm not sure about the timeframe. How about the forum? Do you know which forum it was in?

Maybe I should head over to the Victron community forum instead.

There is a way to improve search, but it means taking down the server for a while and also relying on another server for search (with the current hosting set-up). I think it might be something we do in the future, but Will was (understandably) hesitant of making the changes.
We can fix it. I could do a mass email or notification and have the forum down for a day.

Yeah the advanced search isn't much better. I tried everything I could think of to require both search words to be present in order to get a hit --- with no luck. I don't know who was in those threads so being able to specify the user doesn't help, and I'm not sure about the timeframe. How about the forum? Do you know which forum it was in?

Maybe I should head over to the Victron community forum instead.
Here are some recent resources on the subject of BMS/Victron equipment interaction.

Last edited:
We can fix it. I could do a mass email or notification and have the forum down for a day.
How will I live for a day? A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin ;) Sorry not poking fun at the situation, just the taking the site down for a day. If it helps, then it should be looked into.

Last edited:
I would think that any CANbus capable BMS could be interfaced, Victron has open-sourced that software so it can be done.
Just a caveat that I learned from making the assumption that any CANbus device can be interfaced. Apparently the words each device uses needs to be translated for the other device to understand. Maybe the open source helps but it took more knowledge than I had because my devices did not have open source.

You need one BMS for each 48 volt pack. Two 16s BMS's.
And watch this for how to top balance.
not sure about this... if the battery paskc are in parallel how does the BMS know that one battery is out of spec? i seem to se the same recurring answer... " so in so says its ok so its ok." props to whomever for his work but if it does not work it does not work. so for a 16s pack it seems to work, but if it does not work for a 2p, or 3p 16s, then it does not work. yes I am dyslexic... bear with it....

Last edited:
why victron all the time... there are other solar controllers.. Morningstar for instance other inverters as well magnum...as many other pieces. this whole forum seems like a cash cow for a couple of folks. mind you if the results were not skewed, then i would gladly pay a subscription...want a couple of bucks... I can pay pall for your test results to date.... unskewed.

Back