diy solar

diy solar

Well, it was as bad as expected

At $15k initial outlay, there’s no question I would go solar. I’m pricing out a 5.92kw system now for ~$4,500 after the 26% tax credit (no battery). If I triple my components, that’s 17.76kw for $13,500. Then add 32 280Ah DIY LiFePo4 with BMS for $4k:

17.76kw with ~26kw of storage for $17,500
If you're able to post your research this far, not repeating completed works is always appreciated!

Those prices are not sane. You really have to wonder if it would truly be that terrible to the utilities budget if they would reimburse you if someone else joined your transformer instead of slammed the first poor soul to develop on that road.
LOL, Sanity is relevant... In my case, the terrain is NOT power co friendly, being a forest is tough enough but I am also on a 1200 foot Granite Ridge above 3 joining valley's, That means working "with the rock" and that adds labour & material costs too. NO trenching for underground wires... Also, there is no residential potential beyond my place as I am surrounded by protected lands, so there would be no way for downline cost recovery.

I definitely have no intention of letting heat I've paid to make escape through cheapo insulation. I plan to pack the walls
With insulation between 2-by-x studs on 16" centers, half the heat escapes through the wood. Thicker wall looses less than 2x4, but still half through the wood. If you double framed exterior walls with two staggered rows of 2x4 there would be no continuous conduction path at the studs, only the top and sole plates. Single on the bottom, double on the top is 4 linear feet, half what the studs are. Could put a 1" gap between the walls making it 9" thick. Only floor decking and ceiling joists would go through.

If just single wall framing, sheet insulation under or over sheathing would help. (The structure would not be as rigid with sheathing over insulation.)

On that note, my understanding is that you need to itemize your taxes in order to get the credit. Most people are better off taking the standard deduction which is $24,800 for married filing jointly. However if you have a mortgage, take the interest you will pay this year and add it to the lesser of your [state income + property] taxes or [$10,000]. If that number is close or over $24,800, then run your project costs by your CPA. You might have other itemize items, but those are usually the big ones that move the needle. I AM NOT A TAX PROFESSIONAL, but I do like saving money.
Not a tax professional here, so check with your CPA, but I think credits are in fact available without itemizing.

Not a tax professional here, so check with your CPA, but I think credits are in fact available without itemizing.
I was thinking the same. Definitely worth a check though. At the very least it should be considered a property upgrade to qualify for the 27.5yr spread. Most things are a 1-for-1 replacement, this is more like a new feature and being attached to the dwelling does add value unlike a power pole run. I couldn't see the IRS contradicting HUD to argue that power is a non essential, but his blurs a few line in the forum world so I'll leave it to the pros... Thanks for the spur of thought though as I was tracking credit for professional installation only.

Regarding utility power:

I ran into a similar circumstance in Washington. I lived with a Honda generator until I found a way to make the project affordable.

The power company charged a "base price" for a service drop then added all of the "extras" to complete the job. I asked how far they would make the drop at the base price. I measured in that far and set my own pole. I had them drop to the pole, weather head, meter base and service disconnect that I had provided. Once they completed the drop, I ran the balance of the run to the house underground.

I paid about $1800 to the power company and about $2000 on materials, machine rental and some hired help. Much better than $15k.

One note: to get good pricing on the pole required picking it up myself. Shipping (15 miles) was twice as much as the pole. That turned out to be one of the bigger challenges.

With insulation between 2-by-x studs on 16" centers, half the heat escapes through the wood. Thicker wall looses less than 2x4, but still half through the wood. If you double framed exterior walls with two staggered rows of 2x4 there would be no continuous conduction path at the studs, only the top and sole plates. Single on the bottom, double on the top is 4 linear feet, half what the studs are. Could put a 1" gap between the walls making it 9" thick. Only floor decking and ceiling joists would go through.
where do you get data on 2x4 boards loosing 1/2 the thermal heat of 16" on center walls? Wood is an insulator. If you have good insulation between the studs, you wont have 1/2 heat loss?

Yes doing an extra layer on your external wall is best, has anyone heard of double pane windows, or triple?

where do you get data on 2x4 boards loosing 1/2 the thermal heat of 16" on center walls? Wood is an insulator. If you have good insulation between the studs, you wont have 1/2 heat loss?

Yes doing an extra layer on your external wall is best, has anyone heard of double pane windows, or triple?
If you live anywhere that gets cold you'll soon learn that wood is not an insulator. It's way better than stone, but that's about it

Yep, I’m using Santan Solar! 16 of the 370watt Phono panels for $140 each. Here are the project cost numbers I have so far. I need to price wiring, screws, and bracket costs. What else am I missing in this excel sheet?

I don’t see any copper there. Wires, lugs etc.

Will your panel racking be just landscape timbers?

Edit: I just saw that you left those out for now. Focused on the tree (spreadsheet) and missed the forest ☹️

More coffee please

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the racking you build.

Also wish we had met when I tried unsuccessfully to get a group buy of panels together this summer from SanTanSolar to Ohio.

Last edited:
If you live anywhere that gets cold you'll soon learn that wood is not an insulator. It's way better than stone, but that's about it
Yes I am well familiar with the insulation properties of wood. the point is 1/2 of the heat is not lost through the 2" wide space between the insulation panels. That's all. Its not that inefficient. If one would use metal frame studs, then you can reduce the heat loss even further. I think we have digressed from the OP topic.

Yes I am well familiar with the insulation properties of wood. the point is 1/2 of the heat is not lost through the 2" wide space between the insulation panels. That's all. Its not that inefficient. If one would use metal frame studs, then you can reduce the heat loss even further. I think we have digressed from the OP topic.

This excerpt is from the webpage titled Effective Insulation R-Values in Steel vs. Wood Framing.

Steel framing conducts a great deal of heat. According to ASHRAE, a layer of R-19 batt insulation is reduced by a staggering 63 percent to an effective R-7.1 when 2x6 metal studs are spaced at 16 inches-on-center.

A 2x stud is under 2" thick, about 1.5" (which helps your insulation). 16" on center, you have 14.5" fiberglass batt insulation, 1.5" wood.
If thermal conductivity of wood is 10 times that of the fiberglass insulation, half you heat would escape through each.

Insulation is usually quoted in R value, and thermal conductivity in units representing the inverse.

R value is BTU/hour lost through 1 square foot area of material 1" thick if 1 degree F temperature difference between inside and out.

(for engineering Conductivity is usually quoted as W/mK, Watts conducted per degree K (or C) through a cube 1m thick, 1m x 1m area.
thicker (Z) of course reduces conduction, and more area (larger X or Y) increases conduction.)

Table on that page shows:

High Density Fiberglass Batts R3.6 to R5

Softwood (most) R1.41

Hardwood R0.71

So using these numbers, fiberglass insulation is 7x higher R value that hardwood, 3.5x higher than softwood.
Also I read that wood conducts heat better with the grain than across it.

My "half the heat loss" figure appears close given these values.
If area of studs is 1/10th area of insulation, R value of wood in parallel with insulation is:

1/(1/(10/11*5) + 1/(1/11*1.41)) = 3.52 for softwood, a bit better than half of R5
1/(1/(10/11*5) + 1/(1/11*0.71) = 2.87 for hardwood, slightly better than half of R5

These R values are all for 1" thick wall; yours might be about 3.5" for 2x4, 5.5" for 2x6

According to the math I just did, almost half the heat is lost through the 1.5" wide space between insulation batts.
It is that inefficient. Or, fiberglass insulation is that good, approaches point of diminishing returns.
Since OP wanted to avoid losing heat through the walls, I pointed out that a thermal break to block heat through the studs could insulating value. Polyurethane is 4x better than wood, so a 1" layer over a 4" thick wall would cut loss through wood in half, reducing loss through wall (if no windows) by 25%.

Speaking of steel studs, they are less fire resistant than wood studs (who's core remains solid longer, when steel has weakened)

"Steel studs are known to have a low mass, so they weaken and break easily in a fire."

"Firefighters know that steel studs will collapse even quicker than wood studs in a fire."

i.e., common sense doesn't always hold true.

Speaking of steel studs, they are less fire resistant than wood studs (who's core remains solid longer, when steel has weakened)

"Steel studs are known to have a low mass, so they weaken and break easily in a fire."

"Firefighters know that steel studs will collapse even quicker than wood studs in a fire."

i.e., common sense doesn't always hold true.

Dang! Now I'm going to have to change my entire design to use cement studs. No, I'm going with a double layer of solid concrete walls with 2" rigid foam between them. :)

Back