diy solar

diy solar

well pump conversion

A good rule of thumb is the size of the battery should be proportional to the load applied to it, and the load applied to it should be no more than the maximal charging/discharging rate.

Suppose for example you settle on flooded lead-acid as a battery chemistry. That's what I'm using for my well-pump. Assume the maximal charging/discharging rate is 1/8th of C, with C being the 20hr battery capacity. Assume it's a 24V system using the Conext 4024 inverter.

So, that means you need a battery that is at least 8 times bigger than the amp load pulled out of it to run your pump. If your pump draws 960W while running, the amp draw out of the battery would be 960Wh/24V = 40Ah. A battery that's 8 times bigger than 40Ah would be 40A X 8 = 320Ah. A Trojan L-16 battery is typically in the 380-420Ah range, so four 350$ Trojans would fit nicely here.

Suppose instead you went with Li, with a max charge/discharge rate of 1/4th C. Then the battery size would be 40Ah X 4 = 160Ah.

It's always better to have a bit more than a bit less, so I'd recommend getting a lead-acid battery in the 400Ah range, or a LiPO4Fe battery in the 200Ah range. The bit extra covers system losses/inefficiencies.

With 2X solar capacity, you are looking at the 4024 inverter mated to a 200-400Ah battery at 24V and 1800-2000W of solar panels. You'll need a charge controller that can handle 60-80amps at 25-26V charging. I have a Midnight200V model for my system. You might also look at Epever's Tracer series, maybe the 6420AN or the 8420AN. That would allow you to wire eight 250W grid-tie panels 4S2P.
Thank you very much

I was in almost the exact same situation...120vAC 1/2hp well pump @200' that I had been using a genset on. I crunched the numbers on a 24v solar set-up...and then thankfully a buddy talked me through a DC well pump with 1000w PVs.
I now have a 1/2hp DC pump sitting in the well with 4 used 250w PVs running it. It works flawlessly and for less money and zero issues or headaches. I am so glad I went with a DC well pump set-up!

WTF??? 200'???!!!!

LUCKY!

Both of my neighbors' wells are 650+

Damn hill.

WTF??? 200'???!!!!

LUCKY!

Both of my neighbors' wells are 650+

Damn hill.
Hang on...the pump is at 180', the well is drilled to 220'...my bad for not giving details.
The 1/2hp DC pump gives me 5gpm through 1" MDPE pipe using 1000w of PVs. Still pumps 2 -3gpm under "mostly cloudy" conditions.

Yeah, we looked in your area...saw the 600'+ for wells...scared us off. And the fact that the cows outnumber people 250 to 1. Come to think of it...in retrospect...that might not be a bad thing :sneaky:

Back