diy solar

diy solar

Well the good'old days are gone, sales tax on aliababa.com is in full force.

You know that money is going straight in their pocket.
Maybe it's time to start declaring everything we order from China to customs. Especially if you already paid sales tax though AliX. I'd send CBP and the IRS the sales receipts with the tax rate paid, and insist that they collect it from the merchant. Fuck taxes, but at least they come back to the US that way.

In Tennessee we have no state tax, and 20 mins north, Kentucky has no sales tax. Live in Tennessee, shop in Kentucky!

Ask them for a copy of your States Sales Tax permit. Saying its sales tax but how the hell is China collecting your states sales tax? They are NOT.

how the hell is China collecting your states sales tax? They are NOT.
Apparently AliExpress has been doing it where they have a Nexus in a State. According to one source a Nexus is as little as travel to a state to perform business functions.

Apparently AliExpress has been doing it where they have a Nexus in a State. According to one source a Nexus is as little as travel to a state to perform business functions.
They can not collect Iowa Sales tax without a permit and then must file yearly.

Just FYI, I ordered a slingshot from AliExpress today and in Tennessee, a state with sales tax, I was not charged any tax.

They can not collect Iowa Sales tax without a permit and then must file yearly.
But if they are required to collect and don't they could be liable for the tax that they do not collect. That is a big incentive if they have many sales in Iowa.

Maybe it's time to start declaring everything we order from China to customs
That could backfire big time. Customs duties are the responsibility of the person who gets the product (the importer). Terms like DDP just mean that the seller will pay the duty on your behalf. If they declare a lower value than it actually cost you then customs could come after you, the importer for the difference.

Ask them for a copy of your States Sales Tax permit. Saying its sales tax but how the hell is China collecting your states sales tax? They are NOT.
It depends on whether the vendor group has nexus in Iowa and how aggressive the Iowa state tax authority is. If there is nexus in Iowa then the Iowa tax authority can force them to register to and collect sales tax or penalize them with hefty fines for non-compliance. California tax authority is super aggressive and they have pretty much forced all major vendor groups (domestic and overseas) to collect sales tax. In the early days, even Amazon didn't collect sales tax.

I just got a sales tax email from Alibaba. Since I don't have a resale permit, anything I buy in the future is going to have tax on it. My last purchase was almost two years ago, I hope they don't come back and ask for tax on that. In California, that could amount to $300 in Sales taxes.

I think I found a trick! Tell the supplier to send it to a freight forwarder and if the shipping address in China then you don't have to pay sales tax.

BUT.. you may loose alibaba protection which is pretty much worthless anyway.... hrm...

I am talking to Basen and they offered me to send to their paypal directly to avoid sales tax. Anyone did that? They are relatively big seller and paypal already have some kind of purchase protection so I am thinking whether to take that route. They will also ship from their US warehouse and guaranteeing delivery within a week.

I am talking to Basen and they offered me to send to their paypal directly to avoid sales tax. Anyone did that? They are relatively big seller and paypal already have some kind of purchase protection so I am thinking whether to take that route. They will also ship from their US warehouse and guaranteeing delivery within a week.
I've done stuff like that before. Just make sure you don't pay with Paypal "friends and family", otherwise you have 0 recourse if a problem happens.

Back