diy solar

diy solar

Westinghouse iGen1000s portable power station

It looks like one more labeled Eco Flow. Look at Alibaba, there you can find a lot of this things under different brands.

Thank you; I did read that one a day or two ago. Very interesting!

I just bought refurbished Ecoflow Delta for $899. Came with 30 day return policy and 2 year manufacturer warranty. Using it for camping trips (usually 5 days) with 300 watt solar panel, but not permanent power source. I was considering the Westinghouse first, but the Ecoflow was $100 cheaper and more continuous wattage.

Further thoughts on the iGEN 1000s...

I'm investing in backup for when the grid goes down. A 1 kWh (1000 watt hour) portable power station is part of my solution, because although I have a dual fuel generator, I don't want to run it all of the time. I want to use the generator to quickly charge the power station, then use the power station to run the core of devices that I need, like furnace and refrigerator.

The need for quick charge disqualifies the Jackery 1000. I evaluated an Ecoflow Delta, but at this writing it sells for several hundred dollars more than does the Westinghouse.

I was delighted to run across the Westinghouse iGen 1000S. Its electrical specs are quite similar to those of the Ecoflow Delta, and in size and appearance (display, location of ports, dimensions and weight) it looks like it might be a clone or a second gen iteration of the Ecoflow Delta, with a different set of design compromises.

The official Westinghouse site says it has1008 Watt hours with 1500 continuous watts and 3000 peak watts. The Ecoflow Delta has about 1260 watt hours, with 1800 continuous watts and 3300 peak watts. In most applications, the difference isn't significant.

One of the dings of the Ecoflow vs the Jackery in reviews I've seen is that the Ecoflow, despite having a larger battery, actually offers less runtime than the Jackery when tested.

The Westinghouse Igen1000s has roughly the same runtime as the Ecoflow, but has a smaller battery.

The deciding factor for me is that the Westinghouse charges faster than the Jackery, and is less expensive than the Ecoflow. For my use case, backup when the grid goes down and fast recharge with a generator, and for my budget, this is the better choice for me.

I ran some very informal tests using a Kil-a-Watt power tester. Here are my results. The Westinghouse:

--Put out 850 watt hours before failure, at 430 watts draw from a little heater, with about two hours run time, almost as much as the Ecoflow and less than the Jackery.

--Charged from 0 to 69% in 90 minutes and reached 87% in 120 minutes, much faster than the Jackery.

--Charged at around 440w initially, charging watts reduce when the battery has more charge.

--Ran a heat gun at about 1460 watts no problem, much more running power than the Jackery. For instance, the Westinghouse will power a standard microwave oven and the Jackery won't.

--Ran a 25 watt fan 24 hours, for about 600 watt hours of output. This was disappointing, and may be caused by the overhead of the inverter and fans running for awhile.

--Ran a refrigerator for 10 hours, for about 600 watt hours of output.

--Took 1300 watt hours to charge.

I conclude that, like the Ecoflow, the Westinghouse is designed for relatively short, high output rather than longer lesser output.

Note that the Westinghouse can be paired and used with another one. I didn't test that.

This isn't a particularly good power station for lots of cycles. It's like the Ecoflow and Jackery in this regard.

At $999, it's considerably less expensive than the Ecoflow Delta, which can be found discounted regularly for about $1200.

We should also consider how solid a brand is. I suspect that someone bought the old Westinghouse brand and is market various products under that label. That said, the modern day Westinghouse does offer a broad array of products and appears to have some solidity. Jackery seems to get good reviews for customer service, Ecoflow not so much.

Here's an unboxing and review, not my work, but it shows you the device in use

I bought a refurbished Delta and it works fine. Seller (wellbots.com) gave 30 day refund, Delta gave 2 year warranty, same as brand new unit. $899.

I just snagged two iGen 1000s power stations on Ebay, new in unopened boxes, for a total of right at $1,250. Must have caught somebody sleeping. The plan is to purchase two 200 watt panels, to reach the unit's max input of 400 watts, and have the bare essentials covered for pretty much as long as it might take. Have a couple gens and an inverter, all Champions, as backup if needed. I'm hoping I'll be loaded for bear if, Heaven forbid, things go south in a handbasket.

I just snagged two iGen 1000s power stations on Ebay, new in unopened boxes, for a total of right at $1,250. Must have caught somebody sleeping. The plan is to purchase two 200 watt panels, to reach the unit's max input of 400 watts, and have the bare essentials covered for pretty much as long as it might take. Have a couple gens and an inverter, all Champions, as backup if needed. I'm hoping I'll be loaded for bear if, Heaven forbid, things go south in a handbasket.
Great price! These can be daisy chained, as you may know--it's in the manual.

Great price! These can be daisy chained, as you may know--it's in the manual.
Thanks, but they may not be as good as they appear. Hooked the first one (fully charged) up to a Crock Pot and ran the pot until the Igen battery ran out. 1008 watt hours? Oh, no. 798. Hooked the second one up fully charged.

0000: 277 watts, 100%
0030: 273 watts, 88%
01:00: 272 watts, 75%

Somewhere between then and 01:28 when I checked it next, the unit had stopped powering and showed 37% remaining. That was a drop of 38% in less than 30 minutes, compared to the previous losses of 12 and 13%. So now I wait and see what kind of response I get from Westinghouse. I'm not sure if they will still honor their warranty since I bought them off Ebay.

They advertise free lifetime support, but when I called the number, I got some woman with a crappy attitude who had to hunt the manual down before she could answer, then read her response verbatim from the manual. I will reserve further comment until I hear back from them on the warranty issue.

Thanks, but they may not be as good as they appear. Hooked the first one (fully charged) up to a Crock Pot and ran the pot until the Igen battery ran out. 1008 watt hours? Oh, no. 798. Hooked the second one up fully charged.

Somewhere between then and 01:28 when I checked it next, the unit had stopped powering and showed 37% remaining. That was a drop of 38% in less than 30 minutes, compared to the previous losses of 12 and 13%. So now I wait and see what kind of response I get from Westinghouse. I'm not sure if they will still honor their warranty since I bought them off Ebay.

They advertise free lifetime support, but when I called the number, I got some woman with a crappy attitude who had to hunt the manual down before she could answer, then read her response verbatim from the manual. I will reserve further comment until I hear back from them on the warranty issue.
That's disappointing. I got more watt hours out of mine with higher drain applications. I think they, like the Ecoflow Delta, are best for shorter term high output uses. Contrast the Jackery 1000 which seems suited for longer term, lower output. But the Jackery doesn't fast charge as does the Westinghouse (and the Delta is even faster).

May I ask how you go about reading the 798Wh?

May I ask how you go about reading the 798Wh?
Recorded time, watts and percentage of charge remaining as my post showed. Continued recording numbers until charge was completely deleted, averaged the watts, added the time intervals up, then multiplied average watts times total time elapsed.

Recorded time, watts and percentage of charge remaining as my post showed. Continued recording numbers until charge was completely deleted, averaged the watts, added the time intervals up, then multiplied average watts times total time elapsed.
So the Wh reading is on the AC output side of the unit? If it is, then the Wh on the DC side feeding the inverter will be higher Wh due to inverter efficiency and the system loss.
See example of Wh test @about 18:00 mark.

Last edited:
Does not have a watt hour reading per se. It appears that both AC and DC output are on the back of the unit. Along with the USB ports, input watts and output watts are shown on the front plus remaining charge/discharge time.

Registered them both for warranty this afternoon. I will post the results here.

I can already state that I will NEVER buy another Westinghouse product. Ever.

Couple noteworthy responses today:

"Good Morning So if you are not happy with the units purchased then please return them to the point of purchase for a refund or exchange. As here in customer support there is nothing we can do to make the units charge or last any longer."

Yet the following statement was included in the 'warranty' info in the box:

"Have any issues with your product? Please call us and let us make it right. 855-944-3571

Their next response:

"Hello so what i am saying is there is nothing wrong with the units. As the figures that are published are based on something the engineers of the unit came up with. So what would we fix as the units are working properly. Your calculation and there;s are going to differ as we do not know what they used to base their findings on. So as i was saying if you can return to the point of purchase great.

Reply to this email to respond or feel free to call our Service Team at (855) 944-3571"

I have to wonder what this person's IQ is. Their response is pitiful.

And I did call the number to ask for assistance. The lame brain I spoke with refused to connect me to the warranty department.

Next:

"
Thank you for contacting Westinghouse support, please provide us with your proof of purchase along with a picture of the serial number on your unit. Once we have that information, we will then be able to assist further with getting this issue resolved.

Thank you,"

And finally,

"Hello so you can send them in and i will take a look at them. I just hope that they are from an authorized reseller. I did not see central florida wholsale in our system."

These people are pitiful. Looks like they will refuse to honor the warranty because I bought them on Ebay, yet they will honor warranties on items bought from Amazon.

I found a local shop that was listed as one of their authorized repair centers. When I called them, they stated that Westinghouse is hard to deal with, and they have no interest in any further dealings with them. Great. Their turnaround time is 4 weeks at present, which is understandable. They said they would be glad to have a look at both units to see what they can do. I have dealt with them before and they seem like good people. I intend to bring the second unit that failed partway through the test to them Monday morning. Looks like I'm stuck with the first one with 7.98 watt-hours.

I strongly urge everyone to avoid Westinghouse like the plague.

Back