diy solar

diy solar

WFCO Charger/Converter to Victron

Rbertalotto

Solar Enthusiast
I'm converting my travel trailer to Lithium from AGM. Bought two Renogy 100aH Li batteries. I also have a Victron Blue Smart IP22 12V / 30amp battery charger with Li charge cycle.

My WFCO charger/converter is a WF-8955PEC

Both WFCO and Progressive Dynamics offer replacement DC units to convert this section of the device to a Lithium charger.

My question......Can I remove the DC section of the WFCO and simply replace it with the Victron charger?
Would the Victron charger also act as a converter to power 12V accessories within the travel trailer?
I understand the Victron would at times be at 14.2V and at other times 13.5V .......

Has anyone done this conversion?

Thanks

Attachments

• 71P87vwyaCL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71P87vwyaCL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 12
A stand alone charger should work by disconnecting the wiring to your battery bank, but I’d check with WFCO. I/Cs are an A+ upgrade with an Inverter but $$$$.
Depending on your tow vehicle and its battery/alt, you should look into a DC to DC charger for LFP batteries.

Last edited:
Have you chosen an inverter yet?
If not I suggest you get an inverter/charger.
An inverter/charger is actually an inverter, charger and automatic transfer switch.
If you need any 2 of those 3 functions I suggest and inverter charger.
Victron makes some really good ones.

Thanks folks....I do have a Renogy 40A DC to DC charger for LFP batteries. Works great, when I'm traveling. But usually I'm not. Asking the Alternator to output 40A while the engine is at idle is not cooling the alternator properly So I don't use it when stationary.

My trailer has 420w of solar on the roof with a EPEver 40a MPPT controller. This is usually plenty even with the AGM batteries for my use.

I'd love to install the Victron Charger/Inverter.....Just don't have any place to put it. I do have a 2000w inverter already mounted.

Next trailer will be bought with no electrical installed......I want to do it all from scratch, myself.....

I spoke to Progressive Dynamics and WFCO today. They both said I can use any DC charger converter that I want.....It simply attaches to the AC power and the DC circuit board. PD has a new two stage converter I think I'm going to use. I want to keep the Victron Blue Smart IP22 charger for my boats trolling motor and a Li battery I have as an aux power supply in my truck.....

Last edited:
Thanks folks....I do have a Renogy 40A DC to DC charger for LFP batteries. Works great, when I'm traveling. But usually I'm not. Asking the Alternator to output 40A while the engine is at idle is not cooling the alternator properly So I don't use it when stationary.

My trailer has 420w of solar on the roof with a EPEver 40a MPPT controller. This is usually plenty even with the AGM batteries for my use.

I'd love to install the Victron Charger/Inverter.....Just don't have any place to put it. I do have a 2000w inverter already mounted.

Next trailer will be bought with no electrical installed......I want to do it all from scratch, myself.....

I spoke to Progressive Dynamics and WFCO today. They both said I can use any DC charger converter that I want.....It simply attaches to the AC power and the DC circuit board. PD has a new two stage converter I think I'm going to use. I want to keep the Victron Blue Smart IP22 charger for my boats trolling motor and a Li battery I have as an aux power supply in my truck.....
This is what I put in my trailer about 6 months ago and seems to be working very well charging my 200ah of lifepo4...I don't have a dc/dc charger just use the trucks regular 7 pin for charge like always but its only puts out about 7amps which I'm fine with I always carry a genny too for when needed as I don't have an inverter either just have the 200ah of lifepo4 for the occasional overnight/weekend stays to keep the lights, fridge, heat, and max air fan going while traveling. We also have a Bluetti for c-pap, tv and charging devices when needed. Works for us very well.

Yes you can. I did that with my WFCO 8955. That bottom charger section pops right out and the Orion fits perfectly. My batteries are at 24v so my unit just supplies the 12v distribution system but it's all relative. It will work.

WFCO 8955 w Orion 24 12 70.jpg

Have you chosen an inverter yet?
If not I suggest you get an inverter/charger.
An inverter/charger is actually an inverter, charger and automatic transfer switch.
If you need any 2 of those 3 functions I suggest and inverter charger.
Victron makes some really good ones.
Bingo!

Yes you can. I did that with my WFCO 8955. That bottom charger section pops right out and the Orion fits perfectly. My batteries are at 24v so my unit just supplies the 12v distribution system but it's all relative. It will work.

View attachment 90185
That fits very nicely.
Would you please provide a product link?

Well...I decided to go with the WFCO Lithium replacement unit. I have it installed and for the last few days it has been working perfectly. 14.6v on bulk and then 13.6V......I spoke to Renogy and they said these voltages are fine for their Lithium batteries. But I find really no need for the shore power as my 420w of solar are easily bringing the batteries back to 100% in a few hours. Even on a cloudy day and April sun angle.....These Li batteries are really amazing!

Do you have to replace the converter or will the Waco 8955 be just fine? I have the non lithium one.

Back