diy solar

diy solar

What’s the deal with Generark?

Ribbit74

I’ve been researching various portable generators (actually just battery backups for my refrigerator for occasionally blackouts), and have gotten a lot of good info about Jackery, Bluetti, Ecoflow and others - and really enjoying Will’s videos and honest reviews.

But Generark seems to have no reviews; are they a legit company? Their current product (Homepower One) just looks like a Jackery clone, but they are hyping up their next gen Homepower 2 big time on social media. It’s on Kickstarter of course, because apparently nobody develops products the old fashioned way anymore. Celebrity endorsements (Wozniak, “Mr. Wonderful”) and executives with impressive backgrounds, but their existing product hasn’t caught the attention of youtube reviewers yet? Is this something to avoid?

Nothing innovate about this one. 45.4lbs(20.5kg) single hand design, low cycle NMC battery. Avoid!

The form factor looks better in the home for sure, even but less versatile… the tall form factor is not good for camping. It looks like a mainstream product that might be sold at Sharper Image.

I do think that we will see more mainstream products in the next year though, given the increasing frequency of blackouts in the US, and falling costs of batteries. Hopefully the switch to LFP will enable more retail outlets to carry them; places like Home Depot are still selling SLA generators, with the exception of a single capacity-reduced Jackery 880 which presumably falls under some threshold of lithium capacity that’s allowed to be sold in stores (just a guess).

I’m nervous about NCM, but then again I have a EV full of NCM 18650’s in my garage. So my main concern is the quality of cells used.

Generark says they use “automotive grade“ cells but that could mean anything. For something inside my house I’d rather have LFP. But at a minimum, solar generator manufacturers should specify which brand of cells they use.

I’m impressed with Generark because of their FIVE YEAR warranty. I ordered a Homepower One Kit (the portable blue one with the handle and two solar panels) from Costco, since it’s on sale and I am returning a River Pro unit that had fast a battery drain. If it doesn’t work well, I will be posting. ?

Back