diy solar

diy solar

What about a good home solar panel system for the poor WOman?

The Predator ran, and lasted, just as long as the Honda with almost 0 maintenance.
~0 generators will last many run-time hours with 0 maintenance.
I'm curious how long each would last with proper scheduled maintenance.

~0 generators will last many run-time hours with 0 maintenance.
I'm curious how long each would last with proper scheduled maintenance.
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. They received routine maintenance (oil, filters, o-rings) but no replacement parts or shop trips. Neither one of them had any downtime, it's been almost 10 years, and as far as I know they're both still running.

I won't even try to claim that the Predator is better than the Honda, but for the price, it's definitely competitive.

We don't know the context for OP's scenario ... brief emergency outage most likely, but what is your context?

Don't forget the value of *reducing* your load, before sizing the solar gear to support said load ... you'd reduce the load in advance, during an emergency, to fit your proposed solar gear budget.

The gas guzzlers currently in use in your grid-connected home (if that's what they are) can easily be bypassed with emergency use equipment for the outage, with way less watts and therefore way less expensive solar gear needed. Have an ice chest cooler on hand that keeps things at 50 degrees or thereabouts; have a small "cooling" device that will help you limp by until the power comes back on.

Alternatively, if forced to stay with the existing fridge during an emergency, have ice blocks pre-frozen and on hand, and operate the fridge at key portions of the day during the outage (but not at night, when hopefully nobody is using it, and letting cold air fall out). Perhaps something similar for the AC.

And, as previously mentioned, you'll have a ($500) learning experience out of it. With careful planning, you might end up with a "parallel" solar gear setup that you can use during an emergency and/or take on a camping trip, getting dual use out of it. Haven't priced such a low system cost recently, but I'd imagine you might squeeze in under the $500 cap, especially if you are willing to learn as much as possible, buy the parts and construct it yourself, and be reasonable with the tradeoffs.

Hope this helps ...

Everything I've watched on YouTube regarding the systems you talk about or show the viewers might be affordable for some oh, but not for all. I don't have thousands of dollars to just go drop on a battery or inverter, Etc. I truly believe there has to be something out there that's affordable and decent. Can you come up with a legit system that's under or around five hundred bucks that will power up a fridge, or ac, for example...something that will do more than your little Electronics.

The real solution is not trying to make something work that can't, but trying to make more money so you can afford a working system. This may sound a bit arrogant (not intended), but that really is the best option. There are basically 3 tiers how people deal with finances:

1. I don't have much money and I focus on making it work by buying crap, buying on credit, or expecting money from "others".

2. Those that focus on saving money, so they can afford what they want after a certain amount of time.

3. Those that focus on making more money so they can afford what they want at any given moment.

Try to make more money with a new job, asking for a raise, going back to school for a degree, or starting a (new) business.

500 bucks is basically nothing anymore these days. Try to change your perception to "how can I make more", instead of trying to get by with less.

PS:

OP Joined Saturday at 8:16 PM
OP Last seen Saturday at 8:22 PM

Never came back to read any replies. Seeing this issue all the time around here. New members show up, ask questions, don't come back to provide needed information or make use of the replies.

I get the impression that many find a liking in Will's personality on YouTube, sign up on the forum with an idea, but never follow through once they see the technical requirements.

My sloppy quick attempt of a $500 system +/- 10% (not including tools) roughly sized for 1 day of autonomy for a residential fridge and small loads during a power outage:

2 x 80Ah duracell FLA = $174 store pickup (Sam's Club)
2 x 230W PV panels from Santan Solar = $116 store pickup (Santan Solar)
1 x EPEVER 30A from Santan Solar = $95 shipped (Amazon)
1 x 1500W WRZLB Pure Sine = $158 shipped (Amazon)
1 x 300A Bayite Shunt = $22 shipped (Amazon)
1 x MRBF Fuse = $8 plus shipping (Waytek wire)
1 x MRBF Fuse Holder = $8 plus shipping (Waytek wire)
40ft 12AWG PV wire w/ connectors = $26 shipped (Amazon)
12ft 2AWG Battery Wire = $35 plus shipping (Genuinedealz.com)
10 x 2AWG Lugs = $15 shipped (Genuinedealz.com)
= $657 + Shipping FAIL ?

edit: also I agree with others, this is not very constructive without actually knowing OP's goal's and priorities/limitations.

Last edited:
PS:

OP Joined Saturday at 8:16 PM
OP Last seen Saturday at 8:22 PM

Never came back to read any replies. Seeing this issue all the time around here. New members show up, ask questions, don't come back to provide needed information or make use of the replies.

I get the impression that many find a liking in Will's personality on YouTube, sign up on the forum with an idea, but never follow through once they see the technical requirements.
Wow… that is sad. Join, ask a question, and log out. Never checking in for an answer? I cannot fathom why one would do this.

Even I would find it difficult to do something with $500. I did make a garage system for my laundry that was under $500 TOTAL. I got 4 panels (1KW), a 40 gallon hot water tank, inverter, hot water controller, and large capacity LG clothes washer. No battery. I included the washer in the cost because I needed the lower current draw and took the old working washer to recycling. All this replaced a gas generator which took about 75 cents per load in gas. Does it pay for itself? Maybe marginally. I did it so my wife would do laundry on the weekend and not disturb the neighbors with generator noise. With east facing panels laundry has to be done between 9:30 and 12 noon. One other upside is garage PV power does supplement house panels. Solar is an amazing playground if you know electronics.

garage panels.jpgGarageLaundry.jpg

Last edited:
Back