diy solar

diy solar

What am I doing wrong with my BMS?

ppzzus

I have my BMS all setup and ready to go. It's 8s 24v diy pack with the standard 280ah cells. I have been testing it inside before installing it in my bus. I just get around to putting on the charge controller. Imagine my surprise when the charge only read 14/15v? I have 30v going into the charge controller (just a regular power supply for testing). When I check the voltages from the main positive to the main negative I get 26.5v. when I go to the charge controller side of the BMS to the main positive I get 14?

I'm currently waiting on the data cable for my charge controller to show up so I can edit the settings more in depth. It must be that it's currently set to a 12v mode and it's only allowing 14v to flow to the BMS? Just wanted to check as I feel like I'm going nuts.

We need more info on your BMS. Very often a pic of the BMS balance wires reveals an issue(s).
Current setup just for testing. I have two balance leads from the main ground to the BMS then on the opposite side I have two leads going to the charge controller. I'm thinking it's likely that I can't change the max voltage on the charge controller yet. Annoying that the triron controller can only be adjusted via PC. it's a current connected BMS 100a 8s, I'm told it's the same as the overkill.

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_234534.jpg
    IMG_20211121_234534.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 17
The end negative terminal should be connected to the B- terminal of the BMS only. You have two cables.

Hard to tell how the controller is connected.

The end negative terminal should be connected to the B- terminal of the BMS only. You have two cables.

Hard to tell how the controller is connected.
Ah I see. I had a hard time finding the exact setup. The overkill had three. So one to the main negative and one on the c side of the charger right.

Yes the main load cable to the battery negative should connect to the C- terminal of the BMS.

Check your BMS settings if the full 26.5 is not coming through. Is the charging or discharge turned off?

I got it figured out. The BMS was fine. The charge controller was set for a 12v system. The triron series is an absolute pain to get connected to the PC. Once I finally got it setup everything started charging and reading correctly. Now I just have to get it in the bus and hooked up to the panels.

Back