diy solar

diy solar

What am I missing? Deal or not?

kmcintyre

Ok, so I have to admit, I wasn't really good in my EE classes (I was a software/computer engineeer) and am so confused.

Here's the situation: I have a camper w/ an aging AGM. Want to switch to a LiFEPO4 battery. We don't draw much power (LED lights and occasional furnace fan; 3x / year). I'm thinking 50Ah might be enough but obviouls 100Ah is better :).

After searching around, I don't see the savings in the DIY packs by the time you buy all the components but... I found this BMW battery module/pack for $200 w/o a BMS which is $150-ish. So what am I missing. This looks to be a 90Ah, 12v battery that I'd only have to add the BMS.

Am I missing something? Spec's not good? Is it different from a LiFEPO4 and just a plain LiON? I think I just answered my own question but will post anyway in case someone needs some LiON batteries or if someone has some great ideas on how I can find another solution.

Thanks!
Kevin
--------------------

Electrical Specifications

Pack Voltage: 8.4v – 12.84v

Cell voltage: 2.8v – 4.2v

Power: 1000 Wh

Capacity: 90 Ah (45ah + 45ah)

Total Cells: 6 cells

Cell Configuration: 2P 3S

BMS: Not included

Frame: Aluminium Welded

Physical Specifications

Length: 8.25 in

Width: 7 in

Height: 7 in

Weight: 22 lb

It's LI-ion. The voltage range for a Lifepo4 battery is 2.5 to 3.6. Is the battery used?

After searching around, I don't see the savings in the DIY packs by the time you buy all the components

That's far from the truth. For example you can get 4 prismatic Lifepo4 cells shipped from China for less than $200.00 and they are new. Spend another $100.00 on a BMS, battery case posts and wires and fuse and you have yourself a new battery for around $300.00 plus the satisfaction of building your own. Depending on the BMS a DIY can cost more but a DIY is still way less than a Battleborn for example.

It's LI-ion. The voltage range for a Lifepo4 battery is 2.5 to 3.6. Is the battery used?

That's far from the truth. For example you can get 4 prismatic Lifepo4 cells shipped from China for less than $200.00 and they are new. Spend another $100.00 on a BMS, battery case posts and wires and fuse and you have yourself a new battery for around $300.00 plus the satisfaction of building your own. Depending on the BMS a DIY can cost more but a DIY is still way less than a Battleborn for example.

Thanks.... I'm finding those cells on alibaba and think I'll give it a shot!

It's this one I think:

The guy selling them is a member of this forum. It comes with the bluetooth module and you can add a USB module. Personally I would go with him as he will upgrade the wires on the BMS and install lugs all for an additional charge. And you have great support. I know it's more expensive than aliexpress but just sayin.

Also there is a new seller for batteries here. Buy at your own risk.....but I have a good feeling about him and will be purchasing cells from him soon. I will be getting either 4 280ah or 8 200ah cells. If interested contact him and see what he can do for you.

Whatever you decide I feel you will be content knowing exactly what batteries you have. Lifepo4 are safe and will last a long, long time if cared for properly.

It's this one I think:

The guy selling them is a member of this forum. It comes with the bluetooth module and you can add a USB module. Personally I would go with him as he will upgrade the wires on the BMS and install lugs all for an additional charge. And you have great support. I know it's more expensive than aliexpress but just sayin.

Also there is a new seller for batteries here. Buy at your own risk.....but I have a good feeling about him and will be purchasing cells from him soon. I will be getting either 4 280ah or 8 200ah cells. If interested contact him and see what he can do for you.

Whatever you decide I feel you will be content knowing exactly what batteries you have. Lifepo4 are safe and will last a long, long time if cared for properly.

Going to give it a shot if I can get in touch with the guy selling the batteries.

Back