diy solar

diy solar

what am i missing in my off grid set up

jim furlong

good day folks
I have been researching an off grid solar system for the past few months and ive come to the conclusion that the sol ark 12k all in one is the way to go for me... it seems very DIY friendly with a lot of functionality built in. i am going with 2 48V 5kwh lifepo4 batteris in parallel which can give me an out put of 6000Ws and im going with canadian solar 385w panels

i want to have an east to west array (possiblyy some south too) so i can get close to the max PV input of 16500W the sol ark can handle . not sure exactly how to attach what strings to the sol ark to acheive this.

the solar will be ground mounted

this system will be used to power a small house and charge 2 electric vehicles.

i have an idea to use a V2H system from setec power as my back up "generator" which i can wire directly to the grid input on the sol ark as i am using it solely off grid
it will out put 4000 watts at 240V. also with this V2H system i can charge one car with another over night when needed. one car can stay home and charge all day.

i would appreciate any feedback, improvements, and critiques

Last edited:
You probably want to start with a Energy Audit and understand if you have net-metering and how it works in your area. There's no sense in putting a ton of panels on the roof if you can't make use of them because you don't have the energy storage or it's not worthwhile to export to the grid.

That said, Sol-Ark is a great system. You'd put the east and west facing strings on different MPPT inputs. Check out the FAQs for how to best put them in serial and parallel, links to that and the audit are in the signature below.

Back