diy solar

diy solar

What are Samlex inverter users using for the DC connection?

FiveNines

What are Samlex inverter users using for the DC connection?

Manual states to use a pin type lug and not bare strands. That pin type can be difficult to find, plus it has to be crimped on.

I tried soldering the bare strands, but the solder didn’t flow well to the inside strands of 6ga wire. Otherwise the connection was solid in the DC connector.

Another option I thought of would be to pound a typical lug flat or slightly concave to fit into the DC connector’s cylindrical hole.

Not sure why Samlex doesn’t use posts for an otherwise excellent inverter.

1000W inverter manual:
8.4.6 DC Input Connection
The DC input terminals for battery connection (8 & 9 in Fig. 6.1) have cylindrical hole with
set screw:
- Hole size: 11 mm / .433" with M-8 set screw
DO NOT insert the stranded bare end of the wire directly into the tubular hole as the set
screw will not pinch all the strands
, resulting in a partial/loose contact.
To ensure firm contact, a pair of pin type terminal lugs have been provided as follows:
• For up to AWG#1/0 or 50 mm2 wire size (Part No. PTNB 50-20)

(https://www.ferrulesdirect.com/products/ptnb50-20)

600W inverter manual:
PST-600-12 : For up to AWG#4 (Part No. PTNB25-15)

(https://www.ferrulesdirect.com/products/ptnb25-15)

Industrial type pin terminals are made to ensure good surface contact in high amperage situations, you can't easily cover the same surface by using soldered strands or typical ferrules.
Pin type terminals are not difficult to find and you can use any other brand with about the same pin dimension (7 to 9 mm diameter). They doesn't have to necessarily be exactly the same, you just want to make sure to cover much of the contact surface while joining the male and female.
Instead of using an hydraulic crimp tool, you can solder the wire strands inside the pin block and protect the assembly with heat shrink tubing.

Samlex includes the pins with a new inverter.

They also sell them directly.

My 2000W samlex has studs that take crimped ring terminals. But if I had the 600W I would use the crimped ends that Samlex recommends.

My samlex EVO 4024 has studs for the DC connection, but came with ferrules for the AC connections. I used them. Of course, I had my own ferrules, too (and a crimper), so it was a no-brainer.

Per Samlex the use of FERRULES is required on all stranded wire being connected to the units.
On the carious Samlex Inverters I have worked with (and own) they were all supplied with a bag full is Ferrules.
Usually, Ferrules are crimped onto the wires recommended/suggested) as they cannot be loose in any way.
Sometimes, the AWG Wire (tad thicker than mm comparitive wire) will snugly fit into the ferrule.
FYI: While Samlex gives you AWG measurements, they are in actual fact Metric Units, so there is a little (very little) give there.

NOTE a Ferrule Crimper is Hexagonal ! and not to be confused with crimpers used for insulated/non-insulated terminals.
Example of a Ferrule Crimper:
1649866136223.png

Thanks for the replies.

@JoeHam, my PST-600-12 did not come with ferrules/pin type terminal lugs. I did not find anywhere on Samlex site to buy terminals. My PST-300-12 came with two cables (clamp and cig) with flat-bladed terminals crimped on (no part # listed.)

Also, the terminals are flat, and not round as @Steve_S depicts. IMO, the connection is poor – flat blade in round hole.

Thanks for the replies.

@JoeHam, my PST-600-12 did not come with ferrules/pin type terminal lugs. I did not find anywhere on Samlex site to buy terminals. My PST-300-12 came with two cables (clamp and cig) with flat-bladed terminals crimped on (no part # listed.)

Also, the terminals are flat, and not round as @Steve_S depicts. IMO, the connection is poor – flat blade in round hole.
Where did you purchase it from? Was it re-packaged?

NOTE a Ferrule Crimper is Hexagonal ! and not to be confused with crimpers used for insulated/non-insulated terminals.
I got the hexagonal ferrule crimper you mentioned, but most ferrule crimpers listed on Amazon were a square type

I am by no means an expert on crimping, but I expected something rounder. I felt the hexagonal ferrule fit better than the square, but would want a round ferrule better
FYI: While Samlex gives you AWG measurements, they are in actual fact Metric Units, so there is a little (very little) give there.
On my Samlex 3000 watt inverter doing the AC hard wiring, Samlex listed 8 AWG wire would fit, but of course it did not and needed 10 AWG or thinner. Perhaps a slightly smaller metric equivalent would.

Where did you purchase it from? Was it re-packaged?
Inverters are new, never opened by anyone other than me.
I got the hexagonal ferrule crimper you mentioned, but most ferrule crimpers listed on Amazon were a square type
I spent the afternoon reaching crimpers. As you state, most are square (trapezoidal) and not hexagonal. I suppose the correct size square or hex will fit in a round hole, but there should be a better solution. I found one crimper (Lunar) that has many types of dies available, but crimps square for ferrules. I also researched the custom cable websites and didn’t find any that have ferrules as a terminal option.

Back