diy solar

diy solar

What are the components of the SOK shelf battery??

NotInStock

After watching Will YouTube on the new SOK Battery I find myself wondering what they are built using. Especially around what BMS is in them. I love the build of then but would rather make one myself in a shallow configuration to be wall mountable.

The items I really like from them are the BMS that has it seems every communications you could ever want as well as the display to allow knowing the status directly.

After watching Will YouTube on the new SOK Battery I find myself wondering what they are built using. Especially around what BMS is in them. I love the build of then but would rather make one myself in a shallow configuration to be wall mountable.

The items I really like from them are the BMS that has it seems every communications you could ever want as well as the display to allow knowing the status directly.
Likely designed by them, or specked by them.

Yes... But when watching Will's video he quote this is the same BMS we see in a lot of batteries. But he doesn't go into what the brand / company is that makes it.

I am interested in finding a 16S BMS that would support various connections such as CANBUS, RS485, etc and the ability to talk to other batteries to allow creating multiple batteries in parallel and also talking to a Hybrid Inverter/charger (IE Sol Ark). The front display is also an added plus...

I could essentially take the SOK battery and tear it down to turn it into a wall mount design too which I may choose that route as in truth at the price of the SoK battery I may be hard pressed to be able to source the parts cheaper. But of course like most people on this Forum I would love at the end of the day to say I did it myself.

There is a thread on here about the rack mount batteries, something like is GYLL the same as… something.
The thread goes into a lot of other manufacturers making similar units.
Some of them have kits with just the case, and the BMS…

Found it…

If you are building a battery into a wall mount cabinet in the garage, Take a look at Saginaw Engineering NEMA1 cabinets. They are already set up to accept the Optional internal back plate so components can be mounted without the screws going through the back of the cabinet. I used one and it worked well. I had a local shop fabricate an intermediate shelf so I could have 2 rows of cells.

I looked over those cabinets and definitely a good idea. I easily 3d print internal shelf bracket for any internal components and even cut a hole in the front and 3d print a display to mount the other goodies...

Waiting to get all my components but once i have them I think the battery may be the most interesting part of my build.

Back