diy solar

diy solar

What are the go to Solar Panels?

Kaivorth

First off I'm in Vermont.

I'm trying to start an off grid system. I want to start with 2 panels, a Victron MPPT Controller, and then expand depending on how well it works out

Thoughts on the best panels? Looking for efficiency, and obviously somewhat reasonable prices.

I want to start with about 800w of panels, and expand from there.

I would check out used panels from SanTan Solar. You can get a pretty good deal on a pallet of used panels from them.

Have you given any thought to inverter size, battery voltage etc? If you're looking to start with 800W, I would skip 12V and go straight for 24V, or maybe even 48V depending on how big you're looking to go over time.

Yeah I'll probably go 24 or 48v

I'd like to get newer panels, hopefully for 350w+ each.

If you're buying new, I'd go for the 'almost best' panels, so 330-350W would be where I'd look.

You should setup a few sample BOM's for the various panel types resulting in (roughly) similar output power, then look at how much the panel cost affects the end result. Racking hardware isn't free either, but it's generally so cheap that you will be better off going with significantly cheaper panels (per watt) rather than going for the fewest high-efficiency panels, unless you are very constrained on physical array size.

If you're buying new, I'd go for the 'almost best' panels, so 330-350W would be where I'd look.

You should setup a few sample BOM's for the various panel types resulting in (roughly) similar output power, then look at how much the panel cost affects the end result. Racking hardware isn't free either, but it's generally so cheap that you will be better off going with significantly cheaper panels (per watt) rather than going for the fewest high-efficiency panels, unless you are very constrained on physical array size.
I'm slightly constrained. It will be a ground mounted system. I don't have a huge yard, only enough for maybe 6 panels

More panels, less yard space, so I'll have to find a balance.

Oh you'll want newer, high-efficiency panels then. Will be worth paying for the tall 400+W panels at that point.

Back