diy solar

diy solar

What are the other wiring routes for lower amp loads from a Lynx Distributor

Ranger Rick

Here comes the sun
Lynx Distributors require Mega fuses and mega's lower limit is 100 amps (80a mega fuses can be found). I have a 30 amp device that I'd like to wire from the Lynx instead of adding new + and - busbars.
Can I use a jumper instead of a Mega fuse and run the jumper's pair of wires to a 40 amp fuse or resettable breaker before connecting to my 30 amp device? If yes, what type of breaker could be used?
Or, can I connect my 30amp wires to the two unfused bars at the end of the Lynx and run them via an inline 40a fuse to my 30a load?
Or, are there are good solutions to my question?

Thank you.

What system voltage are you using? If it is 24V or 12V, there are 40A Mega fuses you can use (they are only rated up to 40V though). I got some on Amazon.

On a system I helped someone do, he had two separate 30A loads. I think we ended up using an 80A Mega in the Lynx, and running the single connection from there to two separate 30A ANL fuses, one for each load.

That was a challenge for me as well. 60 amp was lowest I could easily find at the time I was doing my 24v van project.

I ended up feeding a Blue Seas 5052 circuit breaker block from the Lynx which gave me plenty of places to feed smaller loads with resettable circuit breakers and looked really nice.

The orthodox solution for multiple branch circuits of up to 30 fault amps(24 service amps) and 100 amps aggregate, use one of these.
Use 6 awg or better for the feeders and a 100 amp mega fuse for the positive feeder.

I suggest that everyone get a lynx power-in unless they really need a lynx distributor.
Its cheaper and using this reference
You can choose which circuits are fused at the busbar and which are not.

What system voltage are you using? If it is 24V or 12V, there are 40A Mega fuses you can use (they are only rated up to 40V though). I got some on Amazon.

On a system I helped someone do, he had two separate 30A loads. I think we ended up using an 80A Mega in the Lynx, and running the single connection from there to two separate 30A ANL fuses, one for each load.
That combo is interesting. The 80A Mega is the a bridge. I need to do some more research on having two fuses in the same line. I believe the lower amp one would go first. I have a 24v system. Thank you ?

Last edited:
That combo is interesting. The 80A Mega is the a bridge. I need to do some more research on having two fuses in the same line. I believe the lower amp one would go first. Thank you ?
You would be running one wire from the Lynx to whatever fuse holder you put the two 30A fuses in, so the 80A is protecting that wire. The two 30A fuses are protecting the wire to the 30A loads.

I suggest that everyone get a lynx power-in unless they really need a lynx distributor.
Its cheaper and using this reference
You can choose which circuits are fused at the busbar and which are not.
I considered using the Lynx power-in, but liked having the LED fuse indicators on the distributor. The same guy how did the video you linked to gave the hack to get the LEDs to work even if you didn't have the Lynx BMS or the Lynx shunt. I did the hack and it works great.

Regarding the OPs question: It's interesting that in the video he demonstrates with an 18A fuse, which I assume is Mega like the other Lynx fuse holders.

Regarding the OPs question: It's interesting that in the video he demonstrates with an 18A fuse, which I assume is Mega like the other Lynx fuse holders.
I must have missed that.

Yes, this is a right pain in the ass, especially for 48v. One option are DIN mounted DC breakers, such as the MNEPV breakers, available in each amp rating up to 63 amps. These can be linked with the comb style breaker bus bar "MNPV6-BREAKER-BB" (although when not used in the large Midnite enclosures it's unclear what clearances are needed). https://www.midnitesolar.com/produc...e=Busbars&productCat_ID=17&sortOrder=12&act=p

You might also look at the Bussman expandable LMG and LMI busbars. Not sure if they are available, though. LMG is MEGA, LMI is midi (if I understand right). I think up to 400amp on the busbar, lots less than Victron but at 24 and 48v not an issue. Victron has 58v for 48v system MIDI fuses in smaller amperages.

Back