diy solar

diy solar

What are the short comings of this battery set up

Hillbillybuddha

16 Fortune cells. 3.2v 100ah. Arranged for 12v 400ah. I forget if you call this 4p4s or 4s4p. If you can't tell from the picture, all the negative posts are on the left side in the first row and on the right side in the next row, back and forth.

Why this configuration? Mostly space and BMS's. But I think I might need a different BMS (although I do have 4 of these Daly 4s 100amp) I'm not sure I'll ever use 100amp at the same time so maybe one BMS will be fine? I really have no idea. I have a big victron system but not many power needs.

6 LED interior lights and a few exterior LED lights (navigation lights on a sailboat) One of those 12v refrigerator ice box coolers, takes 5amp. I have a 3000w inverter but only 3 household gcfi outlets connected to it. A VHF Radio, a low amp radar and a GPS navigation system. I have a 2000w windlass (electric motor that pulls my anchor up) but it runs off a FLA 12v 200ah 1500cca battery bank used to start the engine, which is way overkill for my little 3 cylinder diesel.?

Do I really need to up the BMS size or get one of those BMS's that trigger an external solenoid to turn off batteries? Or should this work fine for my small boat20210908_153128.jpg

Last edited:
If you can't tell from the picture, all the negative posts are on the left side in the first row and on the right side in the next row, back and forth.
That sounds like 4P4S.
Or should this work fine for my small boat
If you can keep your loads below 100A you should be fine.

The trick will be whether there 4P cell blocks are equal to each other and whether they will stay in balance.
My next project is going to be a 4P4S battery. I hope to learn from you what i can.
My fallback will be to make a 2P8S 24V battery (also new to me)... all my stuff is 12V and my needs are modest.

BTW, that is a pretty nice sandal tan. Mine are along the lines of a Teva tan.

Back