diy solar

diy solar

What are the top 5 gotchas for going totally off grid

Another side of ‘going big’ which to me feels like almost a moral imperative, is to not ‘sell’ the concept of off-grid living that’s only practical if you radically alter your lifestyle. I think it’s generally possible to live as if you are ‘on-grid’ with an off-grid system if you build it that way, and even though the cheapest way not to break a machine is to properly train the operator, in the case of our dwellings i think minimizing the extent that a ‘trained operator’ needs to be in the thing for it to stay working, is an important goal. A bigger power system moves that needle.
yes this is the thinking and the goal for us.

A custom home in Costa Rica is probably going to be mostly steel framing and use different materials than we are used to in North America. Central America has termites like you wouldn't believe.
Concrete, stucco, tile, and good bug resistant hardwoods....and a pest control contract with regular visits.

Again, too many factors. I spent a year doing the math, Seriously. Built the system with 20% head room and it works great. We are good for 2 days poor solar (that means 3 nights, some people don't get that part) then its genny time. We have only used the generator 4 days this year. Not bad, but we still have better than a month to go.
This is about what I am planning. And I will have 2 days poor solar in the rainy season. But I will use the Grid as my generator if/when necessary which is a huge luxury over actually have a generator and the issues with fuel, noise, maintenance etc.

The grid is not super reliable so it bad weather it can go down. But the great thing about tropical living is that we can dramatically reduce power use in our house and be totally comfortable. We don't need HVAC. If we turn off the pool pump and don't do laundry and watch the hot water use we could extend autonomy quite a bit when necessary.

This is mine. I don't run it as slowly as yours, I'm now running at 1900 rpm and ~320 W.
50,000 litre pool in a warm to hot climate.
The pool pump talk is great as this is my largest consumer. Thanks for sharing the data.

So you said about 2.5kwh/day during warmer weather. I was budgeting for over double that amount. Maybe my energy audit is going to get a nice surprise revision if I get a really good pool pump.

For frig our current kitchen design calls for a fancy counter depth "panel ready" refrigerator that gets built in like the cabinets (like Sub-zero). I have not done any research yet to figure out if these units are a power nightmare comparted to other options. I don't think refrigeration is THAT big of a consumer (~1kwh/day?).
A large fridge can easily use 1.5 - 2.0 kW per day (24hrs) and in hot climate, it uses more.

A panel ready built in fridge will be a big $$ consumer.

Can you have a pocket to fit full size fridge into, while being flush with counter? You pay extra for smaller capacity and less selection to get counter depth. I have a place that would look better with counter depth, but got a standard fridge. (If you do have a way to recess it, you may find the doors don't open properly or fully unless there is extra space on the side. Counter depth would be designed for that.)

Sub-zero? A replacement thermostat will cost as much as a pedestrian refrigerator. For instance, a Sub-zero fridge/freezer is probably $10,000 and new thermostat board is $500. (Well, these days freezer might be more like $800 or $900, but I picked up a mid-size one, light enough for me to dolly through the yard, for $250.) On the bright side, Sub-zero is supposed to be very reliable. I've been apprehensive about buying new ones, having read so many reviews. I'm buying mostly used stuff.

You're considering spare inverter as backup? Have a spare fridge/freezer.

I've heard that desiccating the air is a large part of refrigerator power consumption, so humidity and how often you open it figures into the total.

Sub-zero? A replacement thermostat will cost as much as a pedestrian refrigerator. For instance, a Sub-zero fridge/freezer is probably $10,000 and new thermostat board is $500. (Well, these days freezer might be more like $800 or $900, but I picked up a mid-size one, light enough for me to dolly through the yard, for $250.) On the bright side, Sub-zero is supposed to be very reliable. I've been apprehensive about buying new ones, having read so many reviews. I'm buying mostly used stuff.
No fan of SubZero, but the upshot is parts are actually available. My 15-year old fridge can still get replacement doors, ice/water dispenser units, gaskets, and just about anything else. I had a "Westinghouse" fridge that couldn't even get a replacement gasket after 10 years. My home used to be an Air BnB, so there are all kinds of interesting damage to it that was never repaired. I am happy it is possible to get the replacement parts.

Of course, if I was buying something new I would happily save $20k and buy cheaper brands, but eventually you hit a payback point. My biggest gripe though is the poor efficiency. My fridge (when not opened and the ice maker is completely disabled) consumes 3.7-4.0kWh per day!

Some of mine are such power hogs too.

I just bought a new door gasket for a 25 year old GE fridge/top freezer.
I've replaced defrost thermostat. Another one (Hotpoint side by side), I replaced fridge thermostat with random model freezer thermostat; now it is a double-door freezer.
None of my appliances are under 10 years old (except one microwave, bought 2 years ago to replace one that died after celebrating its 21st birthday.)

When things are electromechanical, you can MacGyver anything. With computer boards and inverter drives in them, not so much.

So you said about 2.5kwh/day during warmer weather. I was budgeting for over double that amount. Maybe my energy audit is going to get a nice surprise revision if I get a really good pool pump.
Yesterday my pump ran from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. It consumed 2.44 kWh.

I know it will consume a little bit more energy if I bring the salt level up as the chlorinator draws a little more power when salt level is higher. Indeed I think it needs more salt as the power draw is a little lower than normal. I'll get that checked.

I actually think i can use the average power draw as an indicator of when I need to add salt. There's about a 25-30W power difference.

I made about 0.5kWh today from a 10kW array, and that was a sunny day - but two weeks before winter solstice I wouldn't expect anything else. Soon the days will start getting longer again, and then it'll be more power than we know what to do with. Those three months over winter are worth it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Winter is awesome.

As an adult i am realizing that the huge tapering in my reading of actual books has a lot to do with living in South Texas. As a kid i didnt have the autonomy to tell any difference but now that i can do pretty much whatever i want with my ‘free’ time, i tend to just be outside all the time as the weather usually allows it. 20 minutes ago I was dragging a box blade around with my little tractor and sweating. December in Texas. The place looks great by the way @upnorthandpersonal !!

Back