diy solar

diy solar

What BMS should I get?

Check out the QUCC ones. They offer a contactor-based unit. The Offgrid Garage has used them.
I am getting a couple in the new year as well for my 2 400 ah 48 volt Lithium Packs.

Probably can but the current limit would still be 120amps.

Or the 4S 200A, that provides the 200A.

Those can be connected to up to 4 strings in series.

But a single 8S BMS might be a better option.
For the contactor-based ones... I'm not a real fan of those. Carefull look for their consumption. Some cheaper contactor based ones have a quite high continous current draw (keep the contactor connected).

The JK 8S 200A might be a better option compared to 2 seperate 4S BMSses. It also allows you to use a single app to see all cells (unlike 2x 4S in series - you have to switch between the both BT modules to see the readings).
Also it has a higher balance current. (50mA for the 120A JBD, 150mA for the 200A JBD, 2A for the JK)

Or the 4S 200A, that provides the 200A.

Those can be connected to up to 4 strings in series.

But a single 8S BMS might be a better option.
For the contactor-based ones... I'm not a real fan of those. Carefull look for their consumption. Some cheaper contactor based ones have a quite high continous current draw (keep the contactor connected).

The JK 8S 200A might be a better option compared to 2 seperate 4S BMSses. It also allows you to use a single app to see all cells (unlike 2x 4S in series - you have to switch between the both BT modules to see the readings).
Also it has a higher balance current. (50mA for the 120A JBD, 150mA for the 200A JBD, 2A for the JK)
Yeah, i wanted to find a capable 8S BMS. I really like the features that the JK BMS has, and really feel like it was the best option. So that's what I ordered.

Yeah, i wanted to find a capable 8S BMS. I really like the features that the JK BMS has, and really feel like it was the best option. So that's what I ordered.
Is that the one that requires a buck converter to run?

I don't believe so. It does need an outside source to start it up, but despite that, the Offgrid garage guy says it's by far his favorite BMS. He did a review of all the brands recently and had never tried the JK BMS. Once he did he was convinced it was the best.

That was the early JK BMS that was designed for a minimum pack voltage of 48v. They've since (by popular demand) designed their BMS's to run on the desired pack voltage your trying to protect.

The 2A8S20P will run on the native 24v nominal voltage on an 8s pack. It can also be used for a 4s pack but that would require a boost converter to get from 12v up to 24v. I am hearing that they will come out with a 4s BMS in March.

Back