diy solar

diy solar

What BMS with on/off switch?

I'm in need of a 100A 4s LiFePO4 BMS where I can turn off discharging at times (I don't mind if this turns off charging too or not) by using an external on/off switch.

Are there many options? The Overkill BMS seems to support this, but I haven't found a JBD BMS that does (even though overkill is really JBD).

It needs to be a BMS that can be sourced in China, as it's going to be part of a build.

Thanks!

I'm in need of a 100A 4s LiFePO4 BMS where I can turn off discharging at times (I don't mind if this turns off charging too or not) by using an external on/off switch.

Are there many options? The Overkill BMS seems to support this, but I haven't found a JBD BMS that does (even though overkill is really JBD).

It needs to be a BMS that can be sourced in China, as it's going to be part of a build.

Thanks!
The Overkill BMS is the JBD BMS, just calibrated and stocked in the U.S. You would need a JST 2-pin connector to connect the switch to the BMS, but otherwise the JBD meets your need.

The Overkill BMS is the JBD BMS, just calibrated and stocked in the U.S. You would need a JST 2-pin connector to connect the switch to the BMS, but otherwise the JBD meets your need.
Yes, but the JBD version (not the Overkill rebranded) seems to be missing that connector. There are also pictures with the heatsink off and it looks like the PCB surrounding it is unpopulated, so I don't think it's as simple as soldering to it.
Screenshot_20211015_035926_com.microsoft.office.word.jpgScreenshot_20211015_040102_com.android.chrome.jpg

Well, as far as I can tell JBD has multiple models of a given BMS, even with the same voltage and current. The one you show on the left has the M5 terminals for C- and B-, but on the right (overkill) has the three wires on each side. It may well be if you find the version that OKS sells on the JBD store it will have the JST connector.

Why not just use the app to administratively disable the discharge fets?

If you are using an external switch, just switch the PV to SCC off to disable charging. The BMS is irrelevant.

Thanks!
Some of the JBD support this. The latest 200 amp model I received even came with a plug and wire for it. I know the 150 amp model does as well, but you will have to add a connector or wire yourself.

Yes, but the JBD version (not the Overkill rebranded) seems to be missing that connector. There are also pictures with the heatsink off and it looks like the PCB surrounding it is unpopulated, so I don't think it's as simple as soldering to it.
View attachment 68775View attachment 68776
I think the unpopulated parts are for additional interfaces. Add a wire and try.

On a possibly related(?) note, does anyone know how much power the BMS itself will consume if the battery is left unused for say months at a time (no charging, no discharging)? Does it represent a ghost drain on the battery?

Back