diy solar

diy solar

What breakers or fuses do I need for a solar fridge simple setup?

BigIslandRyan

I just bought a small 6cubic feet solar refrigerator (12/24v) that I need to build a temporary rig for. It pulls 53watts. Will be using for 2 months in Dallas where we get a fair amount of sun in the summer.

My plan is to run (2) 240watt poly panels (used ones from SanTan solar, already acquired) in series
A 100ah SOK battery (12 volt) - already acquired
30 amp EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller - already acquired

Since I am only powering the fridge and no other loads, my plan was to just connect the fridge directly to the load connections on the charge controller, with no dc fuse block and no positive or negative busses. Plug the battery terminal wires into the controller, plug the panels into the controller, and let the controller do the thinking for me. And there is no inverter in this scenario either.

Will this work? I verified the voltages and amperages are within needed ranges for the controller. Is there a critical in line fuse or breaker needed somewhere? If so, where? Am I over simplifying this?

Attachments

• DC_Fridge1.JPG
    DC_Fridge1.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 2
You're fine, but I would just put in an inline fuse on your fridge wire... Just look at the max amps draw and size the fuse maybe 20% higher amp or something. In case the fridge shorts out, it can have the fuse for protection. You should also have a fuse on your PV solar circuit, and battery bank to cover for potential shorts as well...

I just bought a small 6cubic feet solar refrigerator (12/24v) that I need to build a temporary rig for. It pulls 53watts. Will be using for 2 months in Dallas where we get a fair amount of sun in the summer.

My plan is to run (2) 240watt poly panels (used ones from SanTan solar, already acquired) in series
A 100ah SOK battery (12 volt) - already acquired
30 amp EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller - already acquired

Since I am only powering the fridge and no other loads, my plan was to just connect the fridge directly to the load connections on the charge controller, with no dc fuse block and no positive or negative busses. Plug the battery terminal wires into the controller, plug the panels into the controller, and let the controller do the thinking for me. And there is no inverter in this scenario either.

Will this work? I verified the voltages and amperages are within needed ranges for the controller. Is there a critical in line fuse or breaker needed somewhere? If so, where? Am I over simplifying this?
You size the fuse to protect your wire. Find out how much current the fridge draws when starting up, size the wire and fuse accordingly.
For the charge controller, 40 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire works.
The fridge will probably be similar, the manufacturer probably documents what size to use.

Back