diy solar

diy solar

What Budget 200Ah LiFewPO4 to buy for freezing weather August 2022?

rray

I am having a hard time finding a budget 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 battery with low temp shutoff, that can stay in my camp trailer which sees 10F to 140F temperature swings over the year.

I had purchased an "Energized Outdoors" brand battery that listed it had both low and high temperature battery shutdown from Amazon in the Spring 2019, and I had always used it in the garage in the winter with my diesel heater, but last winter I left it in the camper and it died, and I just found out on my camping trip Monday. So I want a replacement that will survive the brutal Idaho temperature swings.

I have watched review video's, but they all seem to be bait and switch. Someone reputable reviews their battery, but when I go to buy one, either their is a disclaimer that it don't have low temp shutoff, or someone bought one and posted they got screwed. (By the way, WHO even buys a battery without a working low temp shutdown?)

So I am asking if a few people who got lucky recently can recommend a budget 200Ah that has both functioning low and high temp cutoff? I want to keep it around $800.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

I am having a hard time finding a budget 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 battery with low temp shutoff, that can stay in my camp trailer which sees 10F to 140F temperature swings over the year.

I had purchased an "Energized Outdoors" brand battery that listed it had both low and high temperature battery shutdown from Amazon in the Spring 2019, and I had always used it in the garage in the winter with my diesel heater, but last winter I left it in the camper and it died, and I just found out on my camping trip Monday. So I want a replacement that will survive the brutal Idaho temperature swings.

I have watched review video's, but they all seem to be bait and switch. Someone reputable reviews their battery, but when I go to buy one, either their is a disclaimer that it don't have low temp shutoff, or someone bought one and posted they got screwed. (By the way, WHO even buys a battery without a working low temp shutdown?)

So I am asking if a few people who got lucky recently can recommend a budget 200Ah that has both functioning low and high temp cutoff? I want to keep it around $800.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
I don't think you will find anything reputable that will be less than the Chins 200ah smart battery with low temperature charging for $1,000 at the moment.. it does go on sale every now and then for about $50-100 less I think. I understand you didn't ask for low temperature charging, but it seems hard to find any with low temperature cut off that actually work. At least this one would theoretically protect itself and keep charging.

I don't know if the 200ah non smart (no bluetooth or heating) version which is significantly less has functioning low temp charge protection.

Last edited:
Just leaving them connected in the camper with the solar disconnected, but AC Power connected, and the battery dips below full charge then tries to take a charge in the winter when it is cold. I tend to use my camper as a Man Cave to escape honey do's over the winter.

There's a Lisuateli brand on Amazon. The 12V are $309 ea, and you could connect 2 in series. They might also have a ready-built 24V. I bought two 12V and can confirm they have low temperature protection. On a freezing morning, they would only charge at a fraction of an amp, but later, as it warmed up, they charged normally.

There's a Lisuateli brand on Amazon. The 12V are $309 ea, and you could connect 2 in series. They might also have a ready-built 24V. I bought two 12V and can confirm they have low temperature protection. On a freezing morning, they would only charge at a fraction of an amp, but later, as it warmed up, they charged normally.
@Will Prowse

Do you see that price Will? About as cheap as a server rack battery for 48v.. and he says it has working low temperature protection. Wonder what they look like inside.

Cheap battery with low temp protection.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lisuateli brand. So I read the Q&A and guy opened his and found they are pouch cells. I have no info about the reliability of pouch cells, anyone want to chime in?

Other than being pouch cells all the reviews seem positive.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lisuateli brand. So I read the Q&A and guy opened his and found they are pouch cells. I have no info about the reliability of pouch cells, anyone want to chime in?

Other than being pouch cells all the reviews seem positive.
@Will Prowse the owner of this site said this about pouch cells when they were discovered in one of the other brands he had previously torn down (when they weren't pouch cells)..

Will said this!

I found the Weize brand on Amazon. $650 for 2x100ah with $50 off coupon. Will tested this and it does have a functioning low temp cutoff. Just connect in parallel.

Looks promising.

2 Pack Weize 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery, Up to 8000 Cycles, Built-in Smart BMS, Perfect for RV, Solar, Marine, Overland/Van, and Off Grid Applications https://a.co/d/f07o2ct

Back