diy solar

diy solar

what can go wrong? diy 100ah 48v pack

markansas

please nit pic this apart for me . and catch what i did not. 4 agm batterys 100amp hour . in series for 48v.. wire is 6 gage from a golf cart. the copper plates are old copper pipe flatten.. and will add vent going outside.

please nit pic this apart for me . and catch what i did not. 4 agm batterys 100amp hour . in series for 48v.. wire is 6 gage from a golf cart. the copper plates are old copper pipe flatten.. and will add vent going outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0237[1].JPG
    IMG_0237[1].JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 34
Is the photo in your avatar the result of using this battery configuration and the wooden holder?
no that is not what i want to happen.. so wood box not good? its what i had..
funny tho

Last edited:
Without more information it’s impossible to say. For example :

What are you powering with this and what is the maximum amp draw ?

What size is your fuse ??

no that is what i want to not happen.. so wood box not good? its what i had..
wood can be bad if it touches the terminals depending on its moisture content. Another member on here had a fire caused by a plywood cover on their battery box.

If you take special care to avoid this or use an isulative material I'm sure all would be fine.

several rooms in a house. and building up battery bank as i can afford and being they are 100 amp hour battery . i was thinking 80 amp fuse.. and got a few replies to make i see gotta ya no wood spacers i do have old glass ones from the knob and tube wiring in this old house.. i will go find them. also made a few more plates for the bus bars. to make them heavier .

wood can be bad if it touches the terminals depending on its moisture content. Another member on here had a fire caused by a plywood cover on their battery box.

If you take special care to avoid this or use an isulative material I'm sure all would be fine.
good to know .. i will go glass . if i can find the ones i have. thanks

it will be 80 amp.. the fuse should protect the battery and the wire . i am just learning this

i will think on this i see the problem .. and it is me. plywood cover.. thinking

it will be 80 amp.. the fuse should protect the battery and the wire . i am just learning this

Well 6 gauge wire won’t do. See here :

If the wood is dry and your busbars are up to the task I don’t see an issue there. Lots of folks use wood enclosures.

Once under load all of your busbars and crimps should remain cool to the touch.

Looking at the photo in the 2nd post, you would do better with using regular battery cable. Forget the copper pipe. If it is hard copper, it will crack. You would need Type K or L annealled, sold in a roll. Nothing used as the inside will be coated with green. Copper pipe is not the answer.

That isn't galvanized flat steel on the studs for busbar clamps, is it?

If the wood is dry and your busbars are up to the task I don’t see an issue there. Lots of folks use wood enclosures.

i see the need in having a camera for heat
1638928041930.png

Instead of buying a thermal imager, use the money to buy some copper flat stock or some large battery cable, a crimper and some lugs.

ok i need at least 4 gage wire or 2 would be better.. thanks good call

Instead of buying a thermal imager, use the money to buy some copper flat stock or some large battery cable, a crimper and some lugs.
not buying the imager , grin. i just want one so bad.. no this will not be running this month. next month two breaker boxs for the ac and dc breakers and welding 4 gage wire.. next month.. dreams

How many feet? Longer cable results in voltage drop.
less than 3 feet so thinking 4 gage for now and when i upgrade the battery bank then with 2 gage..

Last edited:
Back