diy solar

diy solar

What Can I personally do to help against climate change?

No kids or pets isn't a solution I'd support, I'd be in favor of one of the plan Bs long before then. That doesn't seem so much like a solution as it does hysteria.

If a couple has two kids, then then the population stays the same. Not all will have two. For example, in the U.S., the average is currently 1.9 kids per family which is up from prior years. That is, by itself the population would be naturally declining.

I'm not saying over-population isn't a problem in a lot of countries, but the IPCC reports takes into account population growth in their report. From what I've seen there is still time to fix the climate change issues without such measures.

I suspect a workable plan isn't going to be one that requires a lot of austerity (e.g., everyone giving up air conditioning). It'll be something like solar which is not only green but cheaper than fossil fuels. If it takes more than that, plan on voters approving a Plan B.

Last edited:
Small things, but hoping they help.

- Really like solar energy (Florida Sun is good for that).
First solar projects were to keep the batteries charged on some equipment, instead of using the grid & trickle chargers.
That worked so well, I had the confidence to DIY a larger system to run the well pump and a wall AC unit from solar.
Now I am adding more PV, and going to run the two-240v pool pumps on solar.
Using less grid every year, looking to keep this trend going.

- Stopped watering the lawn. Whatever survives now is because it is fit for the climate here.
(Not sure how much using less water helps anything climate related.)

- Disposed of old cars (polluters), have newer, more efficient vehicles now.
Hope to obtain an EV someday.

- Did reflective window film and raised the AC thermostat to 78 (wife complaint limit).
Hoping to modify the heat pump starting circuit so as to move it off the grid and on to the expanded solar next year.

- Stopped eating red meat in the 80’s, thus, possibly contributed to less cows. (Thank you, Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw)

- Added more insulation to the attic, and replaced the old (1984) heat pump w/ a new one.
Amazing efficiency improvement, utility bill dropped by 40%.
-replaced the dishwasher, washer & dryer, refrigerator with new energy efficient units.

There are various sites that will help you estimate you carbon footprint and give you some ideas how to reduce it. I was a little (not a lot) surprised when I did mine a while back.

I live on a sailboat. I walk to work. It has been more than 6 months since I bought any petroleum fuel (lpg for cooking at that time). I have gone more than a year without pluging into the grid for power. My footprint is *much* smaller than that of a typical American.

That said, I still had a fairly large footprint compared to where we need to be. The reason? I eat meat and dairy. Meat and Dairy are a large impact.

The other thing you can do to help is to not have children.

Not much else left other than getting an EV, installing extra panels to charge it BUT that's not an option now... No Affordable EVs in Canada and certainly not 4x4/AWD Trucks (I am Rural & Remote and it is a MUST or no go in Winter) and as the Cancer is finally taking it's toll, time is up "very very soon" so there's no point in worrying about it.

Other things done Personally....
Helped here to get folks onto Solar Power...
Helped others (locals) go Solar... including 3 Greenhouse projects, 1 dairy farm and 2 Saw Mills (small mills). (for FREE NO LESS)

dats-it, dats-all LOL.
Cut carbs off completely from your diet (keto or carnivore diet) and you will have more than enough time to think about EV-s (which is in my opinion is more impact on the environment then keeping an old gasser).

Okay this is a rather abstract thing, but something I've found quite helpful in turning thoughts to action.
If you--like most of us--err towards thinking in absolutes/wanting perfect--change your mindset. Act incrementally, think incrementally. In other words don't let the good be the enemy of perfect (but also don't think you are done as soon as you get to good :) )

For myself I find that I'm predisposed to thinking about maximalist thinking (in lots of areas of my life) "what is the most efficient" or "the lowest possible impact" or the absolute best value, etc. Thinking this way often leads to inaction and thoughts of "I should do X or Y, but..." when Z or half of X is possible now but less perfect.

I find this mental/logical fallacy/impediment--in regards to the environment and the climate--affects to large groups of people.
1. The people that really want to be doing more but get overwhelmed by it, and can't quite commit to the large lifestyle changes they feel would be good.
2. The people that want to dismiss or not have to think about environment or climate concerns because 'we cant possibly be perfect so why try'

Another area we see the same thinking be an impediment is with diets, people go for these extreme 'perfect' diets they cant possibly stick with and inevitably fall off the wagon, as opposed to making small positive incremental changes.

I fall into the first category sometimes. But I find that when I let go of that mindset, its really easy to make positive small changes that add up to large changes over time. I am not going 100% vegetarian or vegan anytime soon, but its been almost effortless to gradually cut down on red meat, and using meat/cheese in general more sparingly and deliberately when I cook. I love a good burger, but I've also learned to cook some really good vegitarian dishes, and/or dishes that just need a bit of meat for seasoning. There are a bunch of reasons for this, not all climate related. And I own a truck and currently drive a lot, but in the past and hopefully future, genuinely like walking, biking, and taking mass transit instead of driving to the extent my situation allows.

I think of it as a process of continually picking the low hanging fruit.

Last edited:
Their only legislative tools are to create additional laws & mandates that will force everyone (citizens and industry) to involuntarily submit or leave.
I've no dog in this fight however this is a narrow view of what our elected officials/representatives can do. Legislation/mandates applying to individuals is but one of many levers at their disposal. And not all legislated mandates need apply to individuals. Indeed the majority in this space won't.

Governments can help* in many ways:
- targeted support measures such as incentives to help individuals access things they may not otherwise have been able to afford (e.g. solar PV, batteries or heat pumps, or fund installation of such technology in public housing)
- support the development and availability of quality sources of information to help people make personal decisions
- well run public education campaigns on what practical measures individuals can themselves take
- set labelling standards (e.g. energy efficiency labelling)
- help keep renewable industry consumer standards high
- support research and development into clean energy technologies, energy efficiency and so on
- they can wield significant influence with government purchasing policy, e.g. installing renewable energy on government buildings and operations, or purchase of green energy for government activity, transition to EVs for govt vehicle fleets etc.
- they can of course legislate standards on industries rather than individuals, and so they should. Ensuring clean air and water is an obvious example.
and so on...

In my own country we have a choice between politicians who want to dismantle or reduce many of these things, and those who want to support or enhance them. Very little of the climate/energy policy debate here is about individual legislative mandates. I can't think of a single one.

* they can also screw it up too if they execute poorly

Electric Cars
We have a PHEV and I'd like to get an electric truck replacement when self-driving comes out. When we got the car I have to admit we didn't do it to be green, it's because I'm cheap. I ran the numbers and saw the cost savings in fuel and maintenance; the rebate negated the additional costs (e.g., ours is not a high-priced performance EV). Electric motors also last far longer than their ICE counterparts, so I expect to keep it for a long long time.

There are a lot of myths about EVs actually being worse for the environment or more expensive to operate. Some of these are busted here: https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths

Ours charges off the solar and it's been a great decision for us. Probably not for everyone though (e.g., apartments with no charger access).

Get a career in clean energy, heatpumps, low CO2 agriculture, EV mobility, energy efficient architecture or anything that will reduce carbon emissions. I like the idea of working towards making solar equipment affordable for low income nations and cheap DIY heatpumps to replace wood or coal burning for house heating. Oh and global warming conscious people should have kids and raise them right way. Otherwise that movie Idiocracy will happen for real.

Added an idea index to the OP:

Idea Index
The best ideas will not only be good for the environment but also save you money!
Below is a list of ideas that don’t involve much, if any, austerity:

Last edited:
OhMy... I mentioned my home build a LITTLE but not much as the focus here is solar/diy.

As stated, I dumped a very large place and "Right Sized" for Maggie & Myself. Bigger is NOT better as many think and in reality, a large house is just more stuff to keep clean, maintained, heated/cooled etc... and none of it goes with us when we Kick the Bucket. I did do a few years of writing on the build and everything involved on another forum BUT stopped after a few Moe-Ron's started a constant level of stupid. I won't link that here either. Hopefully some of the info provided within the spoiler is of help to others.

From my "About my Systems pages -#2"
Hyper-Efficient which also lists appliances etc used
NOTE: I designed, did the plans & blueprints and built the house myself, only contracting out the concrete forming & pour and the actual cladding of the roof in metal. Everything else, including milling my own Pine 6" patterned baseboards, casings and moldings all done by me.

My Cabin Overview:
  • 500 Sq Feet, 1 br, 2nd story loft, 9/12 pitch roof (Cathedral Ceilings)
  • FPSF Slab Foundation REF LINK: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2010/11/11/frost-protected-shallow-foundations-2
  • Radiant Heating in floor (*it's WONDERFUL and efficient) provided by REF: https://www.radiantcompany.com/
  • Cool Roof System (saved 25-30% of Heating & Cooling costs and is incredible ! REF: http://www.houstoncoolmetalroofs.com/cool-roof-information/cool-roof-design-texas/
  • Rain Screen Siding method (used Live Edge White Cedar as my finish) REF: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/all-about-rainscreens
  • INSULATION: (All obtained from Commercial Roofers - not available in retail land)
  • -- 4" XPS Under the FPSF Slab and out the sides (wings) 24" providing R20, double code requirement.
  • -- 5.25" High Density EPS-2 Foam between 2x6 studs R32)
  • -- 7,5" Paper Faced PolyISO between Rafters (Cathedral Ceiling, roof is 9/12 Pitch)
  • Appliances:
  • Water Pump: Grundfos SQ-5, Soft Start 120V Deep Well pump, 260' deep pushing to 50 Gal Pressure tank then 75' to Cabin. Max Wattage 1000W @ 45PSI. REF: https://us.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sq.html
  • Unique Offgrid Classic propane cook stove: REF: https://uniqueappliances.com/
  • Danby (Magic Chef same) Apartment Size Energy Star Fridge (uses 220kwh per yr)
  • EccoTemp FVI12-LP On-Demand Water Heater for Hot Water. (not suggested, get a 45 series or better brand !)
  • Takagi TH-3-m Condensing On-Demand Heater (used for Radiant Heating exclusively as I had Antifreeze in my system) (got from Radiant Supplier best deal out there)
    **NB** I run a separate Hot Water System from my Radiant System. The other option is to use one On-Demand unit for both, very possible and not hard, The Radiant Company can design it either way for you, no extra charge, it's a part of their service and I can only PRAISE Them for their amazing work, quality products & support, and I do "not" praise anyone lightly !
The efficiency is a win with the slab & hyper insulation. Winter -30C, inside 25C, Radiant only run 2 hrs within a 24 hour period to maintain 25C (floor sensor). Summer: 35C outside, 21C inside, NO AC or Fans just open windows. Slab itself never goes above 20C in summer, it regulates everything inside. Should Note, I am on the South Face of a Granite Ridge, 1200 foot fall in front of me, this property get's the heat & in a bad heatwave 40C is not a shocker. The Cabin itself is shaded by Scotch Pines & Cedars on the south & west sides and nestled into a forest nook. Solar System is mounted to the side of a 20' Sea Can 50' from Power House.

the challenge is really how to scale up, beyond an individual level. An individual carbon print reduction appears insignificant. I have been struggling to fly less, sometimes it feels like an asymptotic impact. If I can "help" another individual to make the effort, then another one, and so on...

Reactions: Dzl
the challenge is really how to scale up, beyond an individual level. An individual carbon print reduction appears insignificant. I have been struggling to fly less, sometimes it feels like an asymptotic impact. If I can "help" another individual to make the effort, then another one, and so on...
I know that in my case, a few of the positive changes I've made have been the result of something I've learned or observed from someone else. 9/10 its not something they are even overtly recommending or pushing (that can backfire), simply seeing examples, and how people have successfully worked positive changes into their own lives, inspires me to sometimes do the same, maybe not immediately, but it percolates up over time. I have one friend in particular I am thinking of with this comment.

One of the aspects I really like about solar is that it guides folks into a much more intentional use of power. The knowledge of what is available and what resources are required is a great starting point.

It’s well known here that the easiest way to save money on a solar install is to reduce loads in the first place. Swap out old light bulbs for efficient led and look at more efficient appliances like fridges or aircon.

Reduce, reuse, recycle in that order

I was listening to an Australian National radio station the other day and the discussion was around how much nicer outside air dryed clothes smelt and felt. The discussion brought up how in the US line drying clothes outside is associated with poverty and that electric tumble dryer use is extremely high compared with elsewhere in the world. The people thought this was crazy. Not only did they think outside air dryed clothes felt and smelt better they thought the unnecessary power consumption madness

Using unfiltered solar and wind power to dry washing is an extremely cheap, simple and effective way of reducing household energy consumption

Last edited:
I’m someone who, when still a teenager, decided the world was over populated already and that I didn’t want to contribute to that problem and the other effects it causes. It’s a decision I really respect teenage Ian for making and one I stand by today.

It’s not something I talk about with people much. There is no need to.

Huge population growth along with growing individual consumption worldwide does make for huge pressures on this planets systems

Reactions: Dzl
One of the aspects I really like about solar is that it guides folks into a much more intentional use of power.
Great Point & this carries a bit further actually. When you are generating, storing & using your own power you almost immediately become aware of "every watt" as you watch your system and see the draws, like when you turn on lights, or the fridge kicks on etc... People chuckle when I say that to them, but when it's "from the grid" which is out of sight & out of mind (flick a switch & no more thought) but that ends the minute YOU become your grid. That also affects your usage and re-evaluation of things and where conservation may help more.

Eating Locally & Seasonally
Shopping at local farmer's markets or buying locally produced goods from stores helps to reduce the carbon footprint in obtaining those foods.

Start a garden or ioin a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program. CSA members pay for a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly subscription, and get in return a box of vegetables and other locally-produced foods such as cheese, eggs, and breads or other food items. The CSA benefits farmers because they receive payment early in the season, and benefits consumers by giving them a box of fresh, local produce.

Be a Vampire Hunter
A lot of devices (e.g., instant-on TVs) consume a lot of power while in standby.

Back