diy solar

diy solar

what cause my mppt battery output 60amp breaker to trip

bluefox140

I have this 60amp mppt controller I connected 4s4p of 100w panels so I get around 66v at 40amp when the sun is full but why is my 60amp breaker tripped ? is there a fault in my solar connection ?do I even need a break from mppt to battery ?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_143218.jpg
    IMG_20201005_143218.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 24
99.999% chance that your 60A breaker is fake junk. That style of breaker you are using is usually a fake. There are real ones but they cost more. See bluesea for a real one.

Yes, you should have a fuse / breaker between the SCC and the battery in case a fault develops in the SCC and allows large current to flow from the battery into the SCC.

hi. how important is to get a good quality breaker vs cheap one ?

Adding to gnubie's bit of hyperbole, but with issues that are slightly less critical...

A cheap breaker could trip when it shouldn't. Then again, it could fail to trip when it should.
Will the breaker expose a spark to the environment? In other words, is it ignition protected?
Is it waterproof?

Check out the specs of the 70 amp 187 series breaker on the Blue Sea webpage: https://www.bluesea.com/products/7141/187-Series_Circuit_Breaker_-_Surface_Mount_70A

If you can't find similar specifications for your breaker, how much can you trust it?

Crappy breakers drove me crazy for a while. I went up to 80 amp breakers on my panels that were producing only 28 amps and they kept on tripping. Finally listened to people on here and got the Blue Sea breakers and that fixed my issues. Pics of my previous crappy breakers.

Attachments

• 20200913_145955.jpg
    20200913_145955.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 12
ty. bought bussman and midnight breakers to replace my crappy breakers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201005_195230_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005_195230_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20201005_195246_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005_195246_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
Crappy breakers drove me crazy for a while. I went up to 80 amp breakers on my panels that were producing only 28 amps and they kept on tripping. Finally listened to people on here and got the Blue Sea breakers and that fixed my issues. Pics of my previous crappy breakers.
we bought the same shit

hi. how important is to get a good quality breaker vs cheap one ?

OMG I think I just laughed so hard I pee'd a little ... Its not important at all ... that's why you have FIRE Insurance .... so when the cheap breaker doesn't work and catches everything on fire ... We use cheap Chinese breakers out here on all the oil equipment so I get to meet all the cool firemen and see their pretty trucks ...

OMG I think I just laughed so hard I pee'd a little ... Its not important at all ... that's why you have FIRE Insurance .... so when the cheap breaker doesn't work and catches everything on fire ... We use cheap Chinese breakers out here on all the oil equipment so I get to meet all the cool firemen and see their pretty trucks ...
ok

Back