diy solar

diy solar

What company did you use for the $13.6k @ 4.5kw system? Also, mini-inverters or 1 big one?

DaveBetTech

I had Blue Raven quote me a 21.7kw system for 81.8k, or about $3.7k per kilowatt. As long as the price you paid didn't include the govt discount built in, you paid about $3.0k/kw. All of the panels were quoted with mini-inverters.

That'd be about a 25% discount if it scaled the same. I'd assume that it gets a little cheaper the larger the install too.

Thanks ahead of time!

I just had a new grid tie solar system put on my house in Venice Florida. Everything is installed, and fpl put in a new bidirectional meter on Saturday, so the local installer is coming over today to turn it on. Here are the details:

24 Mission solar 365 watt panels total of 8760 watts
SolarEdge 7600 HD Waver inverter with P-400 optimizers

Total cost was 22,864 before any tax incentives.
So 22,864 / 8760 = 2.61 per watt

Tax rebate of 30% is 22864 * .3 = 6859
For a final cost of 22864 - 6859 = 16,005

I should break even in about 8 years. I was planning on doing everything myself, but still working full time and traveling didn't leave me enough time to get everything completed this year.

The plan is to enter retirement without having to pay an electric bill for the next 20+ years.

Nice price! That beats the Florida average by quite a bit! Great job!

I just had a new grid tie solar system put on my house in Venice Florida. Everything is installed, and fpl put in a new bidirectional meter on Saturday, so the local installer is coming over today to turn it on. Here are the details:

24 Mission solar 365 watt panels total of 8760 watts
SolarEdge 7600 HD Waver inverter with P-400 optimizers

Total cost was 22,864 before any tax incentives.
So 22,864 / 8760 = 2.61 per watt

Tax rebate of 30% is 22864 * .3 = 6859
For a final cost of 22864 - 6859 = 16,005

I should break even in about 8 years. I was planning on doing everything myself, but still working full time and traveling didn't leave me enough time to get everything completed this year.

The plan is to enter retirement without having to pay an electric bill for the next 20+ years.
I'm in Eustis FL and looking to have a system installed for my house. Does the company you used service my area?

Will - love your videos. Long time-first time, blah blah blah.
Anyhow, how did you decide on a 4.5 kWh system? Seems awfully small for a 4 BR house and a Tesla, especially in the winter. I'd love to appropriately size my system and based on a max usage of 1300 kWh in a month, which is bound to go up given my new Tesla too :), I'd think I'd need about twice that size to cover my needs but before I'm generating too much power (even though my coop will buy it back at 4.5 cents/kwh)

Oh good question. It will actually offset my entire bill because I live alone haha! And I will be running a second air conditioner to cool my home and charge my tesla with my back yard solar system :D So it should be plenty. I also do not drive much, and tesla will be trickle charged. Should work nicely last I calculated it all out.

Thanks Will! So I saw in your last video you were going to create the shed system in your backyard; I assume that's what you mean by the backyard system. Any idea how many kWh that will be? I don't need nearly the AC that you do in Las Vegas and our heat is natural gas, but still think I'm going to need much more.

Here's the math I and my installer arrived at for my grid tie system I mentioned above, with the goal to offset my entire bill.

First thing is see if your power company has detailed information on your monthly/yearly usage. fpl has a very nice website with an energy dashboard I could use to get the following graph for the past year:

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 1.21.26 PM.jpg

Based on this I performed the following calculation:

Average of 1275 kWh month / 30 = 42.5 kWh day

42.8 kWh day / 6 hours (general good sun hours per day) = 7.08 kWh

I'm going to assume 75% efficiency for the entire system, so I need an extra 25%. 7.08 kWh * 1.25 = 8.85 kWh

Using 365 watt mission solar panels this is 8.85 kWh * 1000 = 8850 watts / 365 = 24.2 panels

The installer used a different calculation and ended up with 23 panels. I think it's always better to have a little extra so we decided to round up to 24 panels.

Just turned it on today! Here's a screen shot from my sense energy monitor that I installed a couple months ago to understand the usage of the various devices in my house.

Sense monitor on amazon

I added the solar clamps in my panel today before the grid tie system was turned on. Screenshot from the sense monitor iphone app:

IMG_5127.png

Solar is producing 5,687 watts and my house is using 3,561. It's nice because you get a realtime constantly updated display along with the historical information and what devices in your house are doing. With the sense I was able to see that my ac is using 55.8% of my total electric bill. I had assumed it was high, but now I have precise data which always helps with planning.

I got quoted 40k for a 8kw system. According to wholesale solare that system is somewhere between 8k to 11k depending on equipment brands. Solar companies are running legal scams with high pressure sales tactics. They didn’t want to give me the quote and wanted me to sign on the spot. Imagine 30k in labor permit and profits. I’m looking to install the panels my self and hire an electrician to do the tie to the grid. I’m in vegas and looking to put together all the information for other to follow to do “owner builder solar”.

I'm in Eustis FL and looking to have a system installed for my house. Does the company you used service my area?
I live in Panama City beach Florida I just had a grid tied system installed on my house it was a little more expensive but it has killer warranties, quality monitoring ect.

I got quoted 40k for a 8kw system. According to wholesale solare that system is somewhere between 8k to 11k depending on equipment brands. Solar companies are running legal scams with high pressure sales tactics. They didn’t want to give me the quote and wanted me to sign on the spot. Imagine 30k in labor permit and profits. I’m looking to install the panels my self and hire an electrician to do the tie to the grid. I’m in vegas and looking to put together all the information for other to follow to do “owner builder solar”.

I would love to help you on your build if you ever need a hand! I’m in the same boat with solar companies. If you find an electrician to help you with the grid tie I’d love to hire him/her too!

I would love to help you on your build if you ever need a hand! I’m in the same boat with solar companies. If you find an electrician to help you with the grid tie I’d love to hire him/her too!

I’m currently in the planning stages of my DIY Grid Tie system, but here’s a spreadsheet I compiled that creates a fairly inexpensive 6kW system. ~$6-12k out of pocket hybrid grid tie-battery backup. Let me know what you think! bit.ly/diylvgridtiesolar

I’m currently in the planning stages of my DIY Grid Tie system, but here’s a spreadsheet I compiled that creates a fairly inexpensive 6kW system. ~$6-12k out of pocket hybrid grid tie-battery backup. Let me know what you think! bit.ly/diylvgridtiesolar
I’m considering the used SunPower 340w from santan on eBay 37 cents per watt panel. I’m trying to find a legal/code compliant sine inverter to plug it to my home outlet to start. And eventually do a large array with 8kw inverter. Im doing research on the building department and NV energy requirements. I use to do solar panel structural calculations in AZ.

There was a thread on the old forum about plug in inverters, but I think all the research says they are not legal.

20 new SunPower P17 340W Solar Panel 340 Watts UL Listed On/Off Grid Panel @ $2,321.99
  • Residential shipping with liftgate: Estimated $300 - $460
Total of $2,781.99 for 6.8 kw is not bad, got to look up the spec sheet though and make sure they don’t lose a lot of power in the extreme Nevada heat :/

I recently got a quote from Momentum Solar for a 21.5k panel and I think it's about $60-$65k. The sales guy was so obnoxious and didn't even put a proper quote in my email, just a monthly payment. Was super difficult to talk to.

@Will Prowse - I actually called that company and they'll be out tomorrow @ 6:30p to provide me a quote. Thanks. I used your name and said they have a referral program, lol. The lady Courtney said she knew you.

@Thor - What company did you use? That's very inexpensive and presumably you are satisfied with their work. I'd like to get a quote from them as well, if they service my area.

Back