diy solar

diy solar

What do I need to get started as a PV installer in New Mexico?

Abooker418

Hello, I am very interested in becoming a Solar/PV installer in New Mexico. I have done a lot of research and am having trouble finding specific requirements in the state. I read that "New Mexico has no specific licensing requirements for those wishing to install solar power systems except that solar power installations must be performed by accredited electrical contractors licensed in New Mexico." I am not a liscened contractor, and was wondering if it is a requirement, even though I intend to apprentice with a company, and am not interested in solo contracting work? I have found accredited courses to pursue the NABCEP Associate Installer Credential and full NABCEP Certification in time. However I do not yet want to invest the time and money in these courses if I must first obtain an electrical contracting liscense. Can anyone here provide me with some clarification and direction on getting into the PV trade in New Mexico?

In short: Do I need a contracting liscense to become an apprentice PV installer under a company or corporation if I have the NABCEP Associate Installer Credential in New Mexico?

I don’t know the specifics in New Mexico but your questions leave me with some thoughts.

First one is get enrolled in a class and get a job with a contractor that does this work.

If you want to do installs under your own name or business name for grid tie in most states around here you DO need state licensing; further you need a journeyman or master’s license.

In Vermont if doing residential only- except for panel and utility work must be done by or supervised by a licensed electrician unless you are the owner of the propertyyou ‘can’ get by without either license except in the 5 or 6 larger communities with local code enforcement. Other states that’s sortof on the fly and not legal for a lot of reasons.

Having said that a) why would you want to do installs if you don’t know the laws? Since getting a journeyman’s or even apprentice license requires schooling (where they also teach the applicable law) we can assume you haven’t been or aren’t in school…
b) how do you think you will obtain insurance coverage for yourself snd to protect your customer(s) without an
license?

You mentioned you don’t want to do solo work. So much of above my not apply.

Go after a job with a contractor and get in school. School may need to come first. A competent contractor will know what he needs (what you need) to move forward.
What state you reside in doesn’t matter- getting on the road is the start of the journey

What do you know about the grid system in Mexico, parameters grid, configuration ?
Are you a professonal electrical enigneer/electrician and not one who can hook up a socket outlet and call himself a maestro electrician.
I does not mean to be nasty but there are more than enough so called meastros in Mexico.
Get an education in these matters first, first thing first .

Last edited:
Well he said New Mexico for one
And second my post addressed licensing

I felt you were a short sighted and acerbic
Yep, i missed that NEW Mexico, my excuses for that.
But my remarks about an education in these matters stands as wel in Mexico and New Mexico.
And there are to much so called "technicians" who delivering bad work around as wel in Mexico and New Mexico.
I can stand it when people asking money and saying they are profesionals and delevering bad work.
But again sorry for my mistake .

Last edited:
my remarks about an education in these matters stands as wel in Mexico and New Mexico.
OP said:
I intend to apprentice with a company, and am not interested in solo contracting work

Fusion: your rant was a bit judgmental and imho wasn’t supportive of a guy/gal who might be young and looking to actually work for a living. You should re-read his post. He apparently doesn’t have access to good career resources that could help him succeed.

I want this person to succeed. We need more like this.

No grudges from me: I’ve passed it now; I’ll admit my dander was up at first response.

Last edited:
OP:

Your rant was a judgmental and imho wasn’t supportive of a guy/gal who might be young and looking to actually work for a living. You should re-read his post. He apparently doesn’t have access to good career resources that could help him succeed.

I want this person to succeed. We need more like this.

No grudges from me: I’ve passed it now; I’ll admit my dander was up at first response.
I wish my grandson had your attitude, I would be whipping out my checkbook to pay for his school.

I am in New Mexico, and I think if you wish to sell and install PV in NM the number one job requirement is greed. Perhaps it is true everywhere in the country, but the solar installers here are outrageous.

Knowing what little I do, I think I would find someone to work with you on the roof, contract with an electrician for the connections to the breaker box. and rake in the cash :) A few years ago I got quotes from three companies for a solar install and was flabbergasted. I feel a person could charge at 2/3 the rate of the competitors and make a killing.

Regarding licensing, etc. You register the business with the state, you get a tax ID, and then depending on your city, you may need something from them, i.e. a city business license. Since the electrician has his own license, you are covered there. All that leaves is pulling the permit from the City.

It's too bad I didn't see this question earlier as the NM Deputy General Counsel for regulations, etc. was at my house :) What a coincidence. He had to leave to interview job candidates for the new positions that opened regarding cannabis legalization.

I would say go for it....

Back