diy solar

diy solar

What do you think?...7200Wh solar / DIY lifepo4 setup

Awesome - thanks. Are you just getting it through their Australian site? I can only see the MSE version on there, but I'll flick them a message if that's where you're getting it.

Thanks again for all the tips - massive help. Think I'm pretty happy with where it's ending up.

Awesome - thanks. Are you just getting it through their Australian site? I can only see the MSE version on there, but I'll flick them a message if that's where you're getting it.

Thanks again for all the tips - massive help. Think I'm pretty happy with where it's ending up.
Pretty sure, you can get it through eBay

Do you have any suggestions on a cost effective way of getting around this? One option seems to be to install a Sterling Prolatch-R, but at higher ratings these get very expensive.

If your inverter supports external switching you can have the bms control it "out of band".
In this scenario the bms is in the current path for the solar charge controller and the dc loads but not the inverter.
You still get all the bms protections except over current but you have fuses for that so its ok.

7200Wh 24V is 300Ah cell. common size is 280Ah and 320.
I am not sure why you would need that power.
Anyway , if you get 7200W in a battery, you should get at least 7200W/5 = 1440Wh of panels. (and reality says closer to 2000Wh)
with 4x 160w you are not even half of that .
either you battery is to big, your panels to small and inverter matches neither one or the other.

the risk is you will slowly drain you battery until it is empty, then it will take forever to charge it again.
and a 1500W inverter should not be able to power device with high current start, like fridge.

you should make an audit of how much power your really need, cut everywhere you can (replacing standard bulbs with led, put motion detectors on lights, use emergency lights with integrated battery, or can run DC directly from the battery.
basically every important device should have its own battery (just in case you burn the inverter, so you can still survive a few hours with lights, music, phone, radio, gsm/wifi access point ) or add a small gas generator just for emergency.
3.2V x 280 AH x 8 cells = 7168 WH. Pretty close to 7200WH (rounding off to the nearest hundred). Otherwise I agree with your post.

Back