diy solar

diy solar

What do you think, Battery prices going up or down by 2023?

Agree,
Its not a question of will it cost more, but will stuff from China or anywhere else, even be available at all, at any price.
Can China afford to have a major slowdown in their economy? From what I am hearing they are looking at a lot of financial problems right now, can they afford more?
We are on the brink of major war on several fronts, also on the very brink of world wide total financial collapse.
Yes I agree but I am uncertain what that means for consumer goods. With less cash being spent doesn’t that lead to price reductions?

Its not a case of wishing for a slowdown or financial problems, its more like what will a Communist government, either in China or the US decide to do next, to stay in power?

One thing and another is leading to insane gasoline prices around the world. It was not planned, it is not wanted, but it has happened, and it does not look like its all going away either. Next thing will probably be food shortages as agriculture and the supply chain collapses.

The prudent thing is probably to get what you can while its still available.
Its one thing to speculate about the future cost of toilet rolls (or lithium batteries).
Quite another to even find the stuff when the shelves are bare.

It depends on what you mean by "short term" (e.g., next month probably up, next year probably down). Long term, energy storage prices will fall drastically. DOE's current goal is to reduce them 90% by 2035 as you probably recall from the Earthshot post. Currently, I'm waiting.

Yes I agree but I am uncertain what that means for consumer goods. With less cash being spent doesn’t that lead to price reductions?
Not always. Depends on margins. Weak suppliers go out of business with lower volume reducing supply.

I got my big battery Kong Elite 15Kwh months ago and it is a similar price now but shipping is a lot more plus it is out of stock.
With inflation and gas prices being what they are I would suggest getting what you need now.
Trying to guess the future is difficult.
We are saving money every month with our move to solar and with an electric car but our home insurance sky rocketed along with our property taxes and grocery bill.
Even though we have no “debt” the cost of living is getting insane.

I have decided to build now (UPS first with decent capacity) after quick deliberations:
  1. (Force majeure) It's the onset of the typhoon / wet monsoon season and more often than not, the grid gets battered by nature.
  2. (Economic) Prices are rising across the board, exchange rates also rising, and inflation is slowly getting worse.
  3. (Demand) Already more people are going solar with rising gas prices. I'm still 2 batteries short (1st bank) as it quickly went out of stock. It was probably not a good idea to build with 12v, although going with 24v is an option, but this means buying a new 24v inverter.
Sometimes I can just be completely out of luck:

Gas is $6.xx around me now. I remember when it went from $0.50 to $1.50 in the 1976 time frame. The high today is 4x the high then, maybe it hits 6x. That doesn't even match inflation of other commodities I buy.

My mom's car back then got 13 MPG. Mine gets 35 MPG. Between that efficiency increase and destruction of the dollar, current prices aren't hurting me as much.

Cars have improved in performance much more than they have in price. I think we could cut gasoline (and CO2 emissions) in half just by commuting in smaller cars. Takes time (and willingness) to implement, but should knock the wind out of the sails of prices. Probably just U.S. though; rest of world doesn't drive so many gas guzzlers.

Only the "MPGe" cars get high "gas" mileage.
If we went back to horse & buggy, would the EPA release MPG(hay) mileage so we could understand its efficiency?

Ramping up batteries to replace ICE cars will take a while. Until/unless yield gets higher, this should greatly increase availability of "B" grade cells, useful for home power. Although, they would also be useful for rest-of-world EVs with performance limiter to avoid overstress; only in the U.S. do we need Mach-E Mustang.

Apparently they found huge amounts of lithium in Bolivia, except... it's in Bolivia, so nobody wants to go and get it :·/
-

Problem was too much magnesium?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Good enough to power a torpedo (without having to carry electrolyte). But need make a good "secondary" (rechargeable) battery in magnesium chemistry.

Signature hasn’t raised the price of a rack battery I was looking at (now out of stock), but the panels I recently bought from them have gone up about 13%.

I got my big battery Kong Elite 15Kwh months ago and it is a similar price now but shipping is a lot more plus it is out of stock.
With inflation and gas prices being what they are I would suggest getting what you need now.
Trying to guess the future is difficult.
We are saving money every month with our move to solar and with an electric car but our home insurance sky rocketed along with our property taxes and grocery bill.
Even though we have no “debt” the cost of living is getting insane.
It’s amazing that in in spite of the rising cost of living how popular it still remains.

One thing that is definitely increasing is uncertainty.
If you really need it, get it NOW.
My motto, and what I mention to folks who are like-minded, is to get at least a years supply of things that you need and like, that don't cost a mass amount, and don't take up much room. Beyond that, use your critical thinking skills and don't trust the government.

Back