diy solar

diy solar

What do you think of this crimp?

bostonbuzz

Temco TH0006 from Amazon.
Marine tinned copper 2g wire.
Heavy duty tinned copper lugs from bestboatwire.

The 2g dies were too small, this is done once with the 1g die bottomed out. Ideally the corners would be sharp, but is this acceptable? Manual photo is from the crimper manual. I read on marinehowto that these cheap crimpers are fine but rarely have the correct size dies.Link

I have a lot of these connectors to do, is this acceptable?
D6EF8D60-C7BB-4EB6-BFE5-FCEE045B6FF2.jpegFC29C18A-5487-4883-9C01-19F69F704F43.jpegF51AFBF5-685D-4976-92AA-00CDF02A86FD.jpeg

Temco TH0006 from Amazon.
Marine tinned copper 2g wire.
Heavy duty tinned copper lugs from bestboatwire

I have a lot of these connectors to do, is this acceptable?
Cut a lug through the crimp to look at the cross section.

It's a little loose, but tinned-on-tinned crimps are really forgiving, as above mentioned give it really hard pull, if it comes off it's too loose.

Temco has recently up dated the crimper with additional dies such as 2 awg and 2 awg+. So enough people complained about the shitty crimps.

Temco has recently up dated the crimper with additional dies such as 2 awg and 2 awg+. So enough people complained about the shitty crimps.

Interesting. I was one of those complainers. Well, sort of. I emailed them asking why their 2/0 crimp die didn't work on their 2/0 ring terminal on their 2/0 cable. Their answer was that there is no industry standard. My unsent response was, "Well, at least you could have made it work on YOUR stuff."

Any idea if they are selling the additional dies separately?

I used the 1/0 die and the crimp came out great. Some ring terminals/lugs are so large that two crimps on the neck are appropriate. That's what I did for the 2/0 lugs. 6 gauge lugs required only one crimp. Easy peasy.

At the end of the day, I am very satisfied with the TEMCo hydraulic crimper. No failed crimps. No sketchy crimps.

Using the FTZ manual crimper. My FTZ terminals require two crimps on 2 awg and up power lugs. 2/0 awg and up on flared starter lugs.

Back