diy solar

diy solar

What do you think of this Setup? Kisae Abso MPPT/DC-DC based

Talked to a service rep from Kisae today. Told me that the unit triggers an automatic shutdown of the charging when it reads 51v from the PV input channel, and will automatically start back up again when it reads it at 48v.
The auto cutoff at 50-51V, coming back on at 48V is consistent with documentation I got from Kisae too...that document also says, though, that the current 1230s only support up to 45V before switching off, but that they expect to be making 1230s that will do the same 50-51V that the 1250s do already.

FWIW, Kisae also sent me a diagram on how to wire the starter to charge from solar, using a 50A DPDT switch that is connected to the house batteries...I don't exactly understand the diagram yet, but if anybody is looking for an option to charge the starter with solar...they have a diagram.
Can you post it please? Thanks.

Can you post it please? Thanks.
Here ya go...from Kisae Customer Service directly...Personally, I think it would be easy enough to just rewire the starter battery to the Ch1 connections if I ever needed to do this...and since the solar side of the Kisae 1250 won't pull more than 30A ever (even if your array was wired for that kind of amperage), the reason for the 50A switch in this diagram is because of the "usual" daily setup where the Kisae could pull up to 50A from the alternator to charge the house...so the design ends up having you search for a large Amperage DPDT switch when the 50A portion isn't really even used for the solar charging of the starter part of the application. To me, this design "works"...but it's a corner case application where I would just "deal with it" when the time came rather than overly complicate the design (though my application is for my young daughter...and maybe I'll talk myself into doing stuff like this "in case")

Attachments

• DMTxxxx with DPDT for charging CH3 with solar panel-01[2793].pdf
    336.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Here ya go...from Kisae Customer Service directly...Personally, I think it would be easy enough to just rewire the starter battery to the Ch1 connections if I ever needed to do this...and since the solar side of the Kisae 1250 won't pull more than 30A ever (even if your array was wired for that kind of amperage), the reason for the 50A switch in this diagram is because of the "usual" daily setup where the Kisae could pull up to 50A from the alternator to charge the house...so the design ends up having you search for a large Amperage DPDT switch when the 50A portion isn't really even used for the solar charging of the starter part of the application. To me, this design "works"...but it's a corner case application where I would just "deal with it" when the time came rather than overly complicate the design (though my application is for my young daughter...and maybe I'll talk myself into doing stuff like this "in case")
Why not just get your daughter one of those lithium jumpstart packs? They are pretty small these days.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble. I have pulled 20 amps from the alternator with my 1250 (my setting). I didn't have solar panels at the time and while doing the settings it pulled 50 amps to charge the house batteries. I put the panels up this past week but it was still too hot to put the batteries back in the van. Just putting a meter on the unconnected panels showed 42.5 volts but no idea of current output yet but suspect your 30 amp number is good. And thanks for the switch to channel one idea...a five minute job and the price is right.... I had not thought of it. KISS at work.

Why not just get your daughter one of those lithium jumpstart packs? They are pretty small these days.
The ones I have seen aren't cheap...and she already has a 500AH lithium battery I could connect more easily and safely than any jump-pack...LOL

Thanks very much for taking the trouble. I have pulled 20 amps from the alternator with my 1250 (my setting). I didn't have solar panels at the time and while doing the settings it pulled 50 amps to charge the house batteries. I put the panels up this past week but it was still too hot to put the batteries back in the van. Just putting a meter on the unconnected panels showed 42.5 volts but no idea of current output yet but suspect your 30 amp number is good. And thanks for the switch to channel one idea...a five minute job and the price is right.... I had not thought of it. KISS at work.
Your Solar amperage will depend on your panels and if you have them in parallel or series...and with 42.5V, I'd be willing to bet you have them in series....but even if you did have a massively parallel system and the panels were putting out over 30A, the Kisae won't go over an upper limit of 30A that goes with Channel 2...They've designed it so that the solar channel won't ever take over 30A....not sure if you can make it take less than 30A...never looked at that...but the max on solar is 30A.

Your Solar amperage will depend on your panels and if you have them in parallel or series...and with 42.5V, I'd be willing to bet you have them in series....but even if you did have a massively parallel system and the panels were putting out over 30A, the Kisae won't go over an upper limit of 30A that goes with Channel 2...They've designed it so that the solar channel won't ever take over 30A....not sure if you can make it take less than 30A...never looked at that...but the max on solar is 30A.
Yes, they are in series.

Back