diy solar

diy solar

What does a Raspberry Pi + Venus OS do that I can't do with CerboGX?

I can't believe it is working now am able to see get the IP address

Attachments

• 16520372773232083370434840748786.jpg
    16520372773232083370434840748786.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 32
See attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-222419.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-222419.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20220508-222445_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-222445_Chrome.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20220508-224027_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-224027_Chrome.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 32
I run into some challenges. Am able to get the victron smart shunt communication to the raspberry through the Ve-direct cable

Attachments

• 16521228940023361145293002360479.jpg
    16521228940023361145293002360479.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
See attached after

Attachments

• 16521234573808226126796694413034.jpg
    16521234573808226126796694413034.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 14
Everything needs a USB to Serial adator to communicate with the PI. So yes a VE-direct to USB will work. I have 4 of these cables to make my system work. You can however DYI these cables with a standard usb to serial adaptor along with a jst connector. the wiring is
Pin 1 – GND
Pin 2 – RX
Pin 3 – TX
Pin 4 – Power +

here is a link to some USB to serial

Last edited:
That's interesting. I've got a E4G battery bank that only connects to my inverter. So luckily this wouldn't effect me.

While in the Venus OS installed on a Rasp Pi 4b topic, I have one with a flirc case, I'm having issues with the WIFI. The signal strength on the actual Rasp Pi shows 4 lines out of 5, when I get it to connect to my ATT router (15ft. away no walls) the router device list shows the Rasp Pi signal in red, which is very low. Is the transmitter on the Raspberry Pi weak, is it the flirc case, or the Venus OS drivers? What could be the issue, every once in a while it will connect and work for a few days then it looses connection and it won't connect at all. i had to re-install the Venus OS version from 2.92 to 3.0 but that didn't do anything different. I have ordered a long enough Cat 6 cable to connect it that way to my router if there is no solution. I'm also changing the case with better cooling and low profile Ice radiator to see if that changes anything. The Rasp Pi is located as close as possible to the router. I have a smart home and every device works fine, so is hard for me to blame anything else but the Rasp Pi at this time. Comments? is the Rasp Pi WIFI antenna so weak? the power supply is from their brand and puts out around 3 Amps as bench tested. Normally for what I use the Pi it only consumes around .5 amps. please be advised I'm a noob at this. Thanks in advance. UPDATE: Well I got the cat 6 cable hooked up, and is working just fine, the case I ordered came in but it did the same thing, even thou the case is more open and ventilated, the WIFI connection is not reliable on this RASPI, maybe there is something wrong with its WIFI, but not sure. Anyways is working hooked it up to the LAN via Ethernet cable, no issues so far. UPDATE, after a while around 7-9 months, the Ethernet LAN connection will not maintain a constant stable connection. I use a tablet to monitor solar, and was using Victron Venus emulator, but after different tries decided to do away with it, not the RasPi and the 3 Victron usb cables are just laying there, because I took them down. I tried upgrading to latest software package, I tried WIFI and lan again but the connection is sporadic, while it works it works great, it monitors the Charge controller, 1 Smart Shunt, off the remote console, but nest day after power up it starts doing the same thing, it connects, a few minutes later it disconnects and it keeps doing this over and over again. The firewall is updated to allow connections in and out, like I said when it works it works fine. So I took it all down and now I'm using the Victron Bluetooth app and it is steady enough w/o the hassles. Is there a for sale section in this forum?

Last edited:
While in the Venus OS installed on a Rasp Pi 4b topic, I have one with a flirc case, I'm having issues with the WIFI. The signal strength on the actual Rasp Pi shows 4 lines out of 5, when I get it to connect to my ATT router (15ft. away no walls) the router device list shows the Rasp Pi signal in red, which is very low. Is the transmitter on the Raspberry Pi weak, is it the flirc case, or the Venus OS drivers? What could be the issue, every once in a while it will connect and work for a few days then it looses connection and it won't connect at all. i had to re-install the Venus OS version from 2.92 to 3.0 but that didn't do anything different. I have ordered a long enough Cat 6 cable to connect it that way to my router if there is no solution. I'm also changing the case with better cooling and low profile Ice radiator to see if that changes anything. The Rasp Pi is located as close as possible to the router. I have a smart home and every device works fine, so is hard for me to blame anything else but the Rasp Pi at this time. Comments? is the Rasp Pi WIFI antenna so weak? the power supply is from their brand and puts out around 3 Amps as bench tested. Normally for what I use the Pi it only consumes around .5 amps. please be advised I'm a noob at this. Thanks in advance. UPDATE: Well I got the cat 6 cable hooked up, and is working just fine, the case I ordered came in but it did the same thing, even thou the case is more open and ventilated, the WIFI connection is not reliable on this RASPI, maybe there is something wrong with its WIFI, but not sure. Anyways is working hooked it up to the LAN via Ethernet cable, no issues so far.
I've been away for a while so just looking at this now. I'd say all signs point to an hardware issue. I have ethernet in my shed so I've not tested the wifi any. I'd think that ethernet would be the most sure fire way to go if possible. You do have several options to fix the issue though that include adding a wifi dongle to the PI or just plugging it into a wifi extender for example.

Someone earlier here asked what you can do with a pi?

One thing that came to mind is that you could achieve at least *some* of what Venus OS does with the default Raspbian Linux image using Solar assistant software. Benefits are that it may work with non-Victron gear, but it would require you to be Linux savvy in some situations, and the more savvy you are, the more you could do. You can add hardware to a pi that you can't to a Cerbo. pi 'hats' can be added to a pi to give it more functionality. But the ve communications stuff (direct,vbus ...) is harder to add to a pi, depending on alot of stuff.

But there is hardware that either comes with the Cerbo (relays) or which you could buy for it that would need to (customized/different brand, etc) to work with a real pi.

With a raspberry pi running Raspbian, you could do non-solar things too at the same time as the solar stuff. Run your own wiki server, or something else, provided the pi has enough CPU/storage/etc, and that you are savvy enough to get it working. (Not saying the pi Raspbian/VenusOS is good enough for a wiki, just giving an example). Some of these things could perhaps run on a Cerbo too if you know enough.

In my own situation, I do not yet have a solar setup, but I already have my pi4 running VenusOS. I plan on deploying a PoE (Power over Ethernet) network switch in my solar setup to run cameras and point to point wifi from the barn (where my solar setup will be) back to the house and such. The PoE switch will be powered by my battery, but the pi4 will run both networking and power from my PoE switch instead of a direct DC connection, so I can make use of the protections the PoE switch offers. To do so, I added a PoE 'hat' to the pi which works just fine with VenusOS. (No guarantee that a given hat will work with VenusOS). Here is the hat I use, and the PoE switch I plan on using in my solar setup. If the hat didn't work in VenusOS, I would have to try a different one, modify a driver, or go to the default pi Raspbian OS and run Solar assistant.

Ultimately, it is best to define what you want to do, how much you want to spend, how much time you have, and then pick the right platform.

-Chris

Back