diy solar

diy solar

What exactly on the inside of a wind turbine makes it 12v, 24v, 48v

RV Adventure Couple

Is the the size of the wire on the stater or the number of wraps or something else? I against better judgement bought the tesup wind turbine and everything about the order is fucked. The wind turbine is suppose to be a 12v one but has a 48v sticker and when I connect my multimeter to 2 of the wire and spin it I only get 40v then switch the positive lead to the other wire and I get 40v, if I spin the turbine faster the multi meter cuts out after 40v and doesn't read anything. The charge controller was a nightmare after opening that up I saw the PCB and the DC pos and neg wire coming off that, the wires had to be 14 gauge. In saying that there's no way it is producing what they claim which is 940 watts at 110v AC which if I am right is 8.5 amps which converted to DC if I am right is 86 amps DC so therefore the DC wires coming off the PCB are way too damn small.

Unfortunately you have been done, none of these small form factor wind turbines produce anywhere near their rated output. A quick google of the TESUP 940 shows many poor reviews for their products.

Do you know the answer to any of the questions I asked?
Yes,

You wont be able to measure the output from the turbine itself as DC as its effectively a three phase generator, should have three cables from the bottom to connect to the charge controller. the 12volt part will come from the charge controller itself to your battery bank/inverter of whatever option you chose.

Yes,

You wont be able to measure the output from the turbine itself as DC as its effectively a three phase generator, should have three cables from the bottom to connect to the charge controller. the 12volt part will come from the charge controller itself to your battery bank/inverter of whatever option you chose.
Is the the size of the wire on the stater or the number of wraps or something else?

Is the the size of the wire on the stater or the number of wraps or something else?
I understand the charge controller converters the AC to DC. However you can still read the AC voltage from the 3 phase wires coming out of it because I have done it and Josh Daniel on youtube is where I learned how to do that. All I want to know is what exactly inside the turbine visually will make me tell the difference. If your saying that all wind turbines are the same then please say that and that the charge controller controls everything else.

Its Neither, the turbine is the same for all "final voltage models", its the charge controller designation that gives the final output for either 12/24 or 48v. the turbine will output over 300 volts under ideal conditions across all three phased outputs, hence why the cable cross section is smaller than you THINK it should be . it has nothing to do with the amount of windings as you think it does. under ideal conditions is produces 330v AC at 3amps to the controller. Id start by looking at the markings on the controller for your final voltage range

You cant also get accurate voltage readings from what is essentially a brushed motor in reverse with a standard multimeter its duty cycle is dependant on the rotary speed of the blades.

The manual included in the box tells you all of this info

For reference https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hA6DxXlfPnyRVIVs1bETfQb7j6VR4dr3/view

Just to add, I would highly consider sending it back, they're junk, having been given one to try they are utter junk, They state made in Europe, well they're from Turkey but made in China, the one I had never made it over 180 watts, no where near the claimed rated output.

The reviews also are very very poor https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/tesup.co.uk

Are you guys saying that this guy is inaccurate?
Because it makes sense to me that thicker magnet wire would be used for 12v and thinner used on 48v turbines.

No, as stated before, this isnt a direct DC turbine.. Read the manual, it states it right away in there.

No, as stated before, this isnt a direct DC turbine.. Read the manual, it states it right away in there.
Please read carefully. I never said my wind turbine wasn't AC = alternating current. I know that it is a 3 phase AC motor. You people like to pick one word to hang onto like a pitbull and say no no no.
Here is your example what i am talking about.
Your car or truck has an alternator.
That alternator is a 3 phase AC motor.
But the magnet wire for that application is thick, don't believe me go look at your damn car.
So the stater in your alternator was made with thick magnet wire for the end purpose of making good 12v power with plenty of amps to power it.
So why would a wind turbine be any different, EX. the magnet wire in the 3 phase AC WIND TURBINE being smaller for end game 24v or 48v applications.
I know a bridge rectifier or charge controller is needed to make AC current into DC current.
I mean if I take what your people are saying as face value and "all the magic happens in the charge controller" I could just go grab a cheap 300 watt turbine and go buy some expensive CC that was meant for a 2kw wind generator and it makes the same power right????? NO it doesn't

The voltage to RPM ratio from a generator is adjusted by the number of turns of wire around each pole of the motor. Higher voltages from the same sized motor at the same RPM would have smaller wire so they can fit more turns in. Power output would be the same but current would be lower due to the higher voltage.

For your car alternator the windings are thick because they operate around 12V with lots of current.

A wind turbine on the other hand likely needs to be operating at much higher voltage, as during periods of low wind and low RPM it still needs to have enough voltage output to be able to supply power at whatever voltage your system runs at (12V, 24V, etc).

For yours that you have, I wonder if the turbines are all the same voltage output and the controller is what makes it 12V or 48V.

I found the answer to my question and the guy I consulted from youtube was the most correct.
Link below and check page 5.

My original question was "what exactly inside the wind turbine is different between 12v, 24v, 48v?
The PDF I linked is a design for a 1kw wind turbine and how to wind it for a 12v, 24v, and 48v DC end power production.
Page 5 has the answer and my common sense was correct.

Back