diy solar

diy solar

What grid tied inverter + batteries are you using? (CA requirements)

tacomaguy20

So I posted over in beginners corner that my power company requires an inverter that meets UL 1741, IEEE 1547, UL 1741SA + UL9540 Compatible Battery ESS system. I think this is common in California (I'm in AZ though). I got some good information and recommendations, but I'm wondering since this is the grid tied section, if your power companies require the same and if anybody can share what grid tied inverters + batteries you are using? Did you install yourself or was it professionally installed? Was it done on the up and up or on the down low?

I was thinking about just calling up the local installers and getting some quotes locally (since I know that they will meet the local requirements) but most installers around here do not use battery backups and I think it's the UL9540 requirement is mostly where I'm getting stuck. If I do everything within compliance, I think I'm limited to about 3 systems, from what I can tell, but I wonder if there are more I'm not as familiar with. I think my ideal system would have to be done on the down low but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks, this is very helpful. There is a drop down on the top. I see options for Grid Support Battery inverter list, and Grid Support Solar/Battery inverter list. Are the Grid Support Battery inverters only for batteries and no solar? Also, I downloaded the excel file for the ESS systems and it's got me a little confused on something. From my understanding is that UL9540 Storage systems like listed here have to be certified with a corresponding inverter. If that's the case, how do I know which inverter they were tested with? Do I just assume it's the same brand or am I mistaken in my understanding of the certification process?

Last edited:
Back