diy solar

diy solar

What if just a small part of my panels are covered with snow?

DenverGuy

I have four panels on my garage roof hooked up in parallel. It snow last night, and I took a broom and cleared most of it, but I couldn't easily reach the vey tops of them.
In bright sun I only was getting .3 watts. I then got a bigger ladder and cleared the top 3 inches and I am back at full power.
Is that how it works?

I have four panels on my garage roof hooked up in parallel. It snow last night, and I took a broom and cleared most of it, but I couldn't easily reach the vey tops of them.
In bright sun I only was getting .3 watts. I then got a bigger ladder and cleared the top 3 inches and I am back at full power.
Is that how it works?
Not on my QCells430 G6 or 475W G10. I was getting 2000 W and they were covered with 1/4” of snow and it was medium darkness with full overcast skies all morning in E Ky! The panel model, quality, orientation and age all probably have an effect.

Last edited:
Is that how it works?
Yes. Even one cell covered can significantly block the string of cells in the panel. Assuming the top edge of all four panels was covered... the situation is completely normal and expected.

Skip the ladder and get a longer broom handle.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-2...ss-Aluminum-Extension-Pole-EP305A21/312377587

Back