diy solar

diy solar

What Inverter to buy?

Pneuma

Hello all I hope you are having a good day/night.

So after soaking up alot of information I keep going back and forth between an all in one unit or just getting a Charge controller and an inverter and making my own.

I think I am leaning more towards getting my own and assemble them together. but I do not have any experience choosing an Inverter.... Or a charge controller

but for a charge controller I can just go with Victron and be happy with my purchace but there are TONS of inverter brands and I honestly do not know what to choose.

there is AIMS, SMA, Outback,Schneider and so on...

I am expecting to pull around 3000-4000W at times and I have appliances that do need the surge for up to 8000

I like to invest in a low frequency pure sine wave inverter.

Please let me know what you know and help me buy an inverter for my first system.

Thank you all so much!

You listed Value "Bargain Basement" to Tier-1 Premium there.... there is a huge $$$$$$$ difference there !

Applying KISS:
1) You need to know the Voltage your batteries will be... from your other post you say 24V
2) You need to know how many watts will be needed to run your stuff.
3) You need to know if you need 120V, 240V Split Phase @ 60Hz (North America) or 220 Single Phase @ 50Hz or ? All depends on where you are.
4) Will the Inverter/Charger be attached to Grid Power to charge batteries ?
5) do you want to be able to use a GenSet with Auto-Start functionality ?
4 & 5 Combo) Do you want both Grid AC and Genset AC for backup power ???

Low Frequency, Pure Sine IS the best option in any case. LF Inverter / Chargers typically will handle 3X their rating for surge, so a 4000W Inverter can handle 12,000W.

My own system (see the link in my signature for details) is 24V Battery Bank, Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter/Charger Combo & MIdnite Solar Classic 200 SCC. AIO's were not readily available when I got into things and Victron was not available either at that time either. If I was building today from scratch, I'd likely go with a Gowatt AIO (simpler) or Pure Victron more industrial level.

You listed Value "Bargain Basement" to Tier-1 Premium there.... there is a huge $$$$$$$ difference there !

Applying KISS:
1) You need to know the Voltage your batteries will be... from your other post you say 24V
3) You need to know if you need 120V, 240V Split Phase @ 60Hz (North America) or 220 Single Phase @ 50Hz or ? All depends on where you are.

Low Frequency, Pure Sine IS the best option in any case. LF Inverter / Chargers typically will handle 3X their rating for surge, so a 4000W Inverter can handle 12,000W.

My own system (see the link in my signature for details) is 24V Battery Bank, Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter/Charger Combo & MIdnite Solar Classic 200 SCC. AIO's were not readily available when I got into things and Victron was not available either at that time either. If I was building today from scratch, I'd likely go with a Gowatt AIO (simpler) or Pure Victron more industrial level.

Yes Steve it is going to be a 24V system :)
Im moving to Texas to a trailer I doubt I will need anything for 240V.
There will be no Grid tie so I have to just rely on this system to deliver my elecricity needs and my needs to so much smaller :D
I have no idea What GenSet is.

When you say
LF Inverter / Chargers

Does that mean The inverter comes with Charge controller or a Charger? Im not sure I know the difference

Thank you

BTW I saw your system and its awesome. Good joB!

Applying KISS:

Also What is Applying KISS?

KISS = Keep It Simple Silly.
GenSet = Generator Setup.

An Inverter/Charger is just that. It is an Inverter with a Built-in Charger that can properly charge the battery bank. Some can only do one function at a time while others can do both charging of the batteries while passing AC through to the home.

AIO's (All In Ones) have Inverter / Charger & Solar Controller all in one box.

If you look at the links in my Signature, the Samlex one in particular you will see how that applies to many scenario's, including Boats & RV's.

EDIT: I noticed you looked at the ShunBin thread. I just added a WARNING A Complete & Total RIP-OFF with used cells, not 200AH but 175AH being flogged as something else.... It was supposed to be 24V/400AH but with 175AH cells it was only 350AH and the cost to undo & redo properly with a decent BMS added another 400+ on top.

Last edited:
KISS = Keep It Simple Silly.
GenSet = Generator Setup.

An Inverter/Charger is just that. It is an Inverter with a Built-in Charger that can properly charge the battery bank. Some can only do one function at a time while others can do both charging of the batteries while passing AC through to the home.

AIO's (All In Ones) have Inverter / Charger & Solar Controller all in one box.

If you look at the links in my Signature, the Samlex one in particular you will see how that applies to many scenario's, including Boats & RV's.

EDIT: I noticed you looked at the ShunBin thread. I just added a WARNING A Complete & Total RIP-OFF with used cells, not 200AH but 175AH being flogged as something else.... It was supposed to be 24V/400AH but with 175AH cells it was only 350AH and the cost to undo & redo properly with a decent BMS added another 400+ on top.
Thank you so much Steve! That helped alot. and my brain is fried now because I got lost int he forum and read some stuff that I had no idea what they were and tried to understand them lol. BAD IDEA!

And thanks for the warning. I am probably going to buy from Basen Or Xuba hoping for some EVE cells

Xuba & Luyuan are sister companies.
I started that big long thread on Xuba and Amy Wan (Our battery Rockstar) rep from them.

Link to Luyuan' 280AH cells. Posted here because Shipping is included in the bundles.

Each battery pack will require a fuse & an 8S BMS.
I have an appreciation for MRBF fuses LINK HERE

BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING get your plan together and stick to it. You have Lots of research and calculating to do yet. Impulse Buying will only waste a heap of loot and make you very frustrated (at best) or furious (at worst).

Hello all I hope you are having a good day/night.

So after soaking up alot of information I keep going back and forth between an all in one unit or just getting a Charge controller and an inverter and making my own.

I think I am leaning more towards getting my own and assemble them together. but I do not have any experience choosing an Inverter.... Or a charge controller

but for a charge controller I can just go with Victron and be happy with my purchace but there are TONS of inverter brands and I honestly do not know what to choose.

there is AIMS, SMA, Outback,Schneider and so on...

I am expecting to pull around 3000-4000W at times and I have appliances that do need the surge for up to 8000

I like to invest in a low frequency pure sine wave inverter.

Please let me know what you know and help me buy an inverter for my first system.

Thank you all so much!

Just a note on AIMS, nothing against this company, but I recommended a 12v 2500w AIMS charger/inverter to a friend on an RV application, and I did the install (correctly with fuses, proper grounding and all), and around 2 months later the inverter circuit gave up the ghost. He had to send it back to AIMS, they did fix it for free under warranty (service order reported they replaced 3 boards in it), but my friend had to pay the shipping costs. So I'm not a huge fan of them on robustness/reliability out of the gates.

As far as voltage choice, on an RV he was stuck with 12v, but in an off-grid house I am preferring to just go with 48v as it allows longer wire runs with smaller gauge wire and lower amperages, plus it supports many of the higher-end inverters. I personally am looking into a Sol-Ark 12k inverter, they do cost more, but seem to be industrial strength, and come with an option to purchase them with EMP hardening: https://www.sol-ark.com/emp-solar-flare-protection/

Steve of course has said don't buy anything before you have a plan and design your system. Good advice.

Here's something that would power a pretty hefty load:

It's offered in an auction format, but seller says he has several available. I bought a pallet of bare inverters for less, while this package has two inverters, charge controller, and enclosure/wiring. The lack of space around the inverters doesn't meet vendor recommendations so may use fans for cooling more than otherwise.

Add 48V battery and PV panels, optionally a generator.

Steve of course has said don't buy anything before you have a plan and design your system. Good advice.

Here's something that would power a pretty hefty load:

It's offered in an auction format, but seller says he has several available. I bought a pallet of bare inverters for less, while this package has two inverters, charge controller, and enclosure/wiring. The lack of space around the inverters doesn't meet vendor recommendations so may use fans for cooling more than otherwise.

Add 48V battery and PV panels, optionally a generator.
Those look like they were pulled off one of the auctioned DC Solar trailers.
Can get an entire trailer for that price.

Or the vendor bought several that hadn't been put on a trailer yet.
We saw lower prices earlier. Recent auction went higher than previous, and advertised trailer prices are also higher now.
Presently the best Sunny Island prices I'm seeing are about $2200 each, so $4500 for two with charge controller and AC & DC breaker panels in a box aren't bad.
My Sunny Islands were barely over half that.
Others before me paid half what I did for Sunny Island.

If you can point OP to an available trailer complete with two Sunny Island, 2400W PV panels and a forklift battery all for $4500, that would be even better.

Hummmm , 8000 watts is a lot of power in a trailer maybe running 2 ac units ?
Possibly you could find a relay switch that will only allow one unit to run at a time ?
A inverter that need to supply 8000watts should be 48 volt .
My 2800sf cabin runs at 300watts day in day out .

Back