diy solar

diy solar

What is a shunt used for...? When does one use it

MrMatt

Getting 280AH set of batteries tomorrow, looking forward to putting together a solar system in my bus.
Just a general question, what is a battery shunt for, why is it needed.. is it always needed?
Like the one here..
Battery shunt
A bit expensive..

Thanks!

Thanks,
In getting an OverKill BMS, wouldn't that monitor the same thing?

Thanks,
In getting an OverKill BMS, wouldn't that monitor the same thing?
Yes, but a Victron, or other quality shunt will be more accurate. The Overkill may suit your needs. I would suggest running just your Overkill and see how it goes. You can always add a good shunt later.

Many BMS have a shunt built in, but it is a very small one. A dedicated shunt will precisely monitor the exact usage and allow easy monitoring of in and out capacities.

Great information!, thanks for taking the time to respond everyone.
GSXR1000, guess you are talking about the OverKill BMS; seems like the BMS Bluetooth has a good range to your phone. Wonder how well is will send a signal through the engine compartment.

RGlvy, Definitely good to know.. If I think I need one, i will look it up. Thanks

Thanks

Would be interesting to see the accuracy of the above mentioned shunts vs OverKill BMS ouputs

The Aili battery monitor works pretty well. It's what I use.

We've had a good look at this one and it's not bad. Reasonably accurate (better than those really cheap things - which are horrific). We actually compared about 8 shunts in various tests. Settled on Victron and Juntek - they are within 1% of each other and very close to the Daly Smart BMS. A big advantage of both the Victron and Juntek is that they are wireless. The Aldi can be extended but is still a wired solution.

We've been testing this shunt for the past two months:

So far so good. For the price I'm very impressed with it. Costs about $30/£20
We're running it side-by-side with a more pricey Victron smartshunt, if anything this cheap thing is better
The advantage with the Victron is that it is accessible via blue tooth from any device, and as part of a larger Victron system (or a Raspberry Pi) the info will upload into the most-excellent Victron Remote Management Cloud, which does a really nice job of tracking and displaying the data.

BUT, as you say, it is much more expensive. Depends what you are looking for!

Question. So I have a simple set up and have this monitor hooked up to the negative side and wondering what all this means. I mean. I understand that when there is no led DC light/power on , the Amp are 0. But what’s exactly telling me? This should mean what’s left in the battery?

Attachments

• 4991AF26-A897-40B9-AADF-0A4DFD1129DE.jpeg
    4991AF26-A897-40B9-AADF-0A4DFD1129DE.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 11
Question. So I have a simple set up and have this monitor hooked up to the negative side and wondering what all this means. I mean. I understand that when there is no led DC light/power on , the Amp are 0. But what’s exactly telling me? This should mean what’s left in the battery?
just tells you how much power you are currently using...

this one you can program AH of your battery. I still use this ..

The meter is showing
13.09 battery voltage.
10.6W at .81A
And an accumulated Wh of 3

The meter is showing
13.09 battery voltage.
10.6W at .81A
And an accumulated Wh of 3
So. When is my battery getting too low. It’s a SLA 100amp hr battery and all I am running off it is-2 12v LED lights and charging my Dewalt 20v Drill recharger for the batter when needed.
I have a 1000W pure sine inverter that is turned off unless I need it.

Back