diy solar

diy solar

What is inside a LIFEPO4 Prismatic Cell? Can actually build a cell yourself?

unseengundam

I have often wondered exactly what is inside of these prismatic cells? To me, it seems a lot of money is spent on packaging sheets and terminals, which real cell parts storing energy (anode, separator, cathode) could a lot cheaper.

Has anyone ever opened up a prismatic cell to see exactly what is inside?

Also, is it actually possible to build your own LIFEPO4 prismatic cells? If so how can you go about doing so safely and where to get parts from?

I have often wondered exactly what is inside of these prismatic cells? To me, it seems a lot of money is spent on packaging sheets and terminals, which real cell parts storing energy (anode, separator, cathode) could a lot cheaper.

Also, is it actually possible to build your own LIFEPO4 prismatic cells? If so how can you go about doing so safely and where to get parts from?
I like these questions!! unfortunately I do not have the answer but I would also really like to know. this will be the ultimate DIY energy storage system if you can make your own cells.

You can build your own inverters too, but its just not practical.
Building your own inverter is probably 1000 times easier and more practical. Heck, you can make it even better than many of the commercial units.

Building your own lifepo cell on the other hand would require tech, chemicals and materials that would be very difficult to get and you would end up battery that has 80% less capacity and cost 100 times more than the commercial one.

Terminals and casings cost next to nothing in mass production.

I saw a utube video of a man getting inside one. Not for the safety cautious person. Lol

There are youtube videos of cell production at far east manufacturing facilities. Note, I did not see any human interface, just billion dollar manufacturing machines doing the build.

There are youtube videos of cell production at far east manufacturing facilities. Note, I did not see any human interface, just billion dollar manufacturing machines doing the build.

That's just because it's hard to find anybody willing to work hard these days. :LOL:

You might care less, but here is a way to judge if a cell is grade A or B.

Here is a utube link of man repairing.
This guy is not building cells, he is changing out cells, I think they are bag cells, but might be prismatic. He's building a battery, with imported cells, from the far east. Not building cells. Big difference !

Or this one.... "that's nasty stuff.. probably shouldn't be breathing it"

and then he unrolls the cell itself:

This guy is not building cells, he is changing out cells, I think they are bag cells, but might be prismatic. He's building a battery, with imported cells, from the far east. Not building cells. Big difference !
Yes, sorry I thought you was creating battery. Lord I have no idea what is in or where to begin to build cells.

Yes, sorry I thought you was creating battery. Lord I have no idea what is in or where to begin to build cells.
You might start by learning what a Cell is and what a battery is. The stuff in LiFePO4 cells is hazardous material, do not cut one open. Learn by reading to protect your health.

Reactions: Rho
You might start by learning what a Cell is and what a battery is. The stuff in LiFePO4 cells is hazardous material, do not cut one open. Learn by reading to protect your health.
Exactly, the video I watched the man cut open a battery. I am very aware of the difference. Can't imagine many people having materials,facilities,knowledge or desire to create cells.

Exactly, the video I watched the man cut open a battery. I am very aware of the difference. Can't imagine many people having materials,facilities,knowledge or desire to create cells.
And yet you start this thread out with "...Also, is it actually possible to build your own LIFEPO4 prismatic cells? ..."

Back